PDA

View Full Version : Mixing 2 normal map

PaQ
09-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a little question about how to mix 2 normal maps.
I'm actually working on a little canyon animation (Prev03), and don't have a great experience with the node editor.

Basicaly I have 2 color images for the shader, the rock (A) and the sand (B).
I mix them with the Mixer node, using a gradient (slope) in the opacity. So far so good. Now I want to mix the rock normal map (C) and the sand normal map (D) in the same way, but I can't use the mixer, as there are no normal/bump output.

I have check a little bit in the math/vector menu, I suppose the solution is somewhere there, but I have no idea what function I have to use.

So if someone has a little tips/idea about the procedure, I'm listening :)

Thanks a lot !

jameswillmott
09-21-2008, 07:06 PM
You might be better off making two Lambert nodes, feeding colour and normals into those, then feeding the output of each lambert shader into your mixer node and then into the Diffuse Shading input on the surface node.

You can use the Mixer to blend Vectors ( blue dots ) together but if you're blending normals this way don't forget to Normalise the output before using it... you also have to pass the colour output through a vector node to convert it, just do a vector scale with the scale set to 100%, or any other vector node that doesn't change the value ( like adding 0,0,0 or something )

Jim M
09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
For example....

+ plugin a gradient into the amplitude of the normal maps to control placement.... if u like...

PaQ
09-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Many many thanks for your help everyone, I've lean a lot of things this morning :)

I've build the node with 2 lamberts material as jameswillmott has suggested, it works perfeclty ! I'll try the other solutions too when I have a little more time.

Again thanks a lot ! :beerchug: