PDA

View Full Version : Short questions thread

Darkeye
09-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi!

I just joined the forums as I have recently picked up Lightwave again after 6 years.

Wondered if there is a thread for newbie questions or similar?

For example, I have a question: When I create primitives (or anything for that sake), I always get a diagonal line between all polygons, so all of them are 3-edged. I reckon this is real easy to set back to normal 4 edged mode, but I can't find out how.

So if anyone could help me that would be great.

And if needed, this could continue to be a short question thread (if there isnt one already :) )

Medi8or
09-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Push 'o' for "General Options", and change "polygons" from "triangles" to "quadrangles". :)

Darkeye
09-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks =)

It was that easy I hoped

hrgiger
09-21-2008, 12:27 PM
And if needed, this could continue to be a short question thread (if there isnt one already :) )

To a point. At some point, somebodys going to tell you to RTFM. It might be me, it might be someone else. If you start asking questions like how do I make a box, or how do I make a keyframe....you're going to get it big time.

But if you run into problems, by all means, ask away.

Oedo 808
09-21-2008, 02:05 PM
You could do a lot worse than watching through these, I finally finished watching them today, superb stuff.

Hours of Free LightWave Training (24 Hours+)
(http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002)
The newest videos are at the top so you might want to start at the second post.

geothefaust
09-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah that interactive list is pretty cool.

shrox
09-21-2008, 02:46 PM
"RTFM"

Remember To Feed Marty?
Ride That Freaky Mombo?
Ohh......
Read The Frakking Manual! - as Starbuck would say.

hrgiger
09-21-2008, 03:02 PM
You could do a lot worse than watching through these, I finally finished watching them today, superb stuff.

Hours of Free LightWave Training (24 Hours+)
(http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002)
The newest videos are at the top so you might want to start at the second post.

Yeah, I downloaded all them and haven't quite gotten through all of them yet. I think it's almost 3 and 1/2 gigs worth of videos. I would recommend these as well. A lot of fundamental stuff in there for beginners.

Darkeye
10-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey
I am just trying to relearn all about Layout, and find the VIPER not very cooperative.
I remember there was some tweaks to make it go right from the start, but when I try to use it I get the message:

"VIPER contains no surface data to render, please make sure VIPER is enabled in Render options and then render an image"

I have enabled VIPER and the actual rendering goes smooth, but what have i done wrong?

parm
10-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Make sure you have the surface editor open, F5, and hit F9 to render one initial time while Viper is open. Viper will then update by itself there after.

IMI
10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I downloaded all them and haven't quite gotten through all of them yet. I think it's almost 3 and 1/2 gigs worth of videos. I would recommend these as well. A lot of fundamental stuff in there for beginners.

I've actually gone through just about every one of them, believe it or not. There were a few that I wasn't interested in so I skipped those, but I still go through some of my favorites frequently.
Great for n00bs, most definitely, but I'm amazed at how much useful and advanced information is packed into every one of those. I find them inspiring , actually. Being just a hobbyist, I'm not forced to use LW every day, but if I want to jumpstart my enthusiasm on those blah days, I can usually do it by picking a random video from that collection.
Honestly, I've paid big money for LW training packs and books that don't even approach the sheer volume WV packs into that *free* collection.

EDIT: Well, not entirely. Essential LightWave v9 by Steve Warner is an amazing book/video package as well, with some *really* cool example files covering pretty much the entire spectrum of LightWavery.

Darkeye
10-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Make sure you have the surface editor open, F5, and hit F9 to render one initial time while Viper is open. Viper will then update by itself there after.

Thanks Parm :)

Silkrooster
10-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Hope this helps,
Silk

Darkeye
10-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Just a quick one: When I press F9 in Modeler, I'm supposed to get the surface presets. But nothing shows up.

Any ideas?

iconoclasty
10-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Yeah it should. Check to see if the shortcut has been changed. Click "windows" in the upper left corner, then look for the preset panel. Does it say F9 ?