PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone xplian to me....??

Flying_horse
09-21-2008, 01:47 AM
What are adaptive sampling use for????

it was under filtering tab at render global window....
please....:help:

hrgiger
09-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Adaptive sampling is the process where pixels are compared to the ones next to them during rendering to determine which ones need Anti-Aliasing. It cuts down on rendering time by allowing only those pixels that need Anti-Aliasing performed on them instead of everything in the rendered frame.

Flying_horse
09-21-2008, 02:11 AM
Are they make the output quality gone bad??

Jim M
09-21-2008, 07:21 AM
no...

Adaptive sampling is the process where pixels are compared to the ones next to them during rendering to determine which ones need Anti-Aliasing. It cuts down on rendering time by allowing only those pixels that need Anti-Aliasing performed on them instead of everything in the rendered frame.

serge
09-21-2008, 08:09 AM
no...
Unless you're using LW8 or below. ;)

Tom Wood
09-21-2008, 08:24 AM

Huh?

I'm using 8.5, so I shouldn't use adaptive sampling?

serge
09-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Edit: LW8.x (Thanks Tom :))

hrgiger
09-21-2008, 09:23 AM
no...

No?

serge
09-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Bloody editing rule.

Tom Wood, I was responding to Jim M's "no...", and he was responding to Hrgiger's explanation.

Hrgiger, your explanation was the case for LW 9.2 or lower (I said LW8, but it's LW9.2). Since 9.3 we have a complete different adaptive sampling system, which is explained in the 9.3 documentation.

Jim M
09-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Sorry I should have been clearer...

Are they make the output quality gone bad??

No....

Read HRGigers post again...

In fact the answer is No regardless in my opinion.

serge
09-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Sorry I should have been clearer...

No....

Read HRGigers post again...

In fact the answer is No regardless in my opinion.
Ah, then I misunderstood your "no"...I guess..

What a strange thread.

hrgiger
09-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Now I'm confused.

serge
09-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Now I'm confused.
Your explanation is correct for 9.2 or lower, because since 9.3 activating AS doesn't cut down on rendering time like you said, but increases rendering time by creating extra sampling on top of every AA pass.
Up until 9.3 activating AS would decrease rendertime but at the cost of quality, and since 9.3 activating AS increases quality but at the cost of rendertime.

hrgiger
09-21-2008, 10:57 AM
That's good to know (I guess). I haven't been doing much rendering this year and had been using mostly Fprime before I sold my other LW license a few months ago.

Jim M
09-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Now I'm confused.

Lol ... just ignore my post... that should clear things up :)

Peace out

-FP-
09-21-2008, 03:20 PM
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Re:
[COLOR="Blue"]>>Up until 9.3 activating AS would decrease rendertime but at the cost of quality, and since 9.3 activating AS increases quality but at the cost of rendertime.<<
██████████████████████████

So is there a way to get the old behavior back? It was a lifesaver sometimes.

serge
09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
So is there a way to get the old behavior back? It was a lifesaver sometimes.
Well, the system has changed for the better (in terms of quality and speed), so I don't think you would want the old behavior back. It's just that it has become more complicated and it takes some time to get used to.

In the old system you would usually need many AA passes, and play with the Adaptive sampling value to try to decrease rendertime. In the new system you can usually get away with very low AA (sometimes just 1 pass), which is very fast, and then fine tune with Adaptive sampling (and Oversampling) to get rid of noise/aliasing. It's just a whole different, but better way, and people have to get used to it.