PDA

View Full Version : Best way to fill a container

sublimationman
09-20-2008, 08:12 PM
OK, I have come upon this problem several times and now I am doing a project that I need a helpful hint on. What I have is a gumball machine with a glass globe on top. The globe is hollow (like a real machine) and I want to partially fill it (3/4) full of differently colored gumballs. Now hand placing a few hundred gumballs and making sure they all touch but don't intersect is a nightmare.

Surely there must be an easy way to do this that I just don't see right now. I even started off making a tessellation ball and using it's points to clone but that is proving to not work out like I thought and it's still too labor intensive.

Any ideas?

I am thinking something using gravity in layout but since 99.9% of my output is a single static image I have not played with those effects enough to understand how they work or if they would work for this.

Thanks!

Jim M
09-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Hard FX .. i will post a scene for you

Jim M
09-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Play around with settings... save transformed object.... tweak model...

sublimationman
09-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks Jim but I can't load the scene. It says I need a newer version of Lightwave. I am using 9.3 (I think). Is it for 9.5?

Mr Rid
09-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Self-colliding particles ought to work for this sort of thing but dont behave predictably. Might look ok at a distance.

example scene- (click calculate)

daforum
09-21-2008, 06:03 AM
You should watch William Vaughns "cereal in bowl" tutorial
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Cereal.mov

It talks you through how to get balls of cereal to rest in a bowl, which would be the same as you need for the gumballs.

sublimationman
09-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you all for the help.

daform, that tutorial was exactly what I needed. I almost had it on my own but was missing a few settings. My gumballs were either passing right through the other object, bouncing inside endlessly or falling around the container. Using the settings from the video I was able to find the settings that cured my problems.

I will post a still here when it gets done rendering. I render at very high resolution and this model is going to take about 4 hours.

sublimationman
09-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Here is the finished product.

archijam
09-23-2008, 01:10 AM
Looks like you have a few balls intersecting your glass. Perhaps make your collision object 1mm inside the actual one?

sublimationman
09-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the tip!

sublimationman
09-23-2008, 07:53 PM
This one is my second attempt and I was more careful about protruding gum pieces.

No matter what I did a few would poke out, some by a lot but I just deleted ones that protruded a lot and manually moved ones that did a little.