PDA

View Full Version : Cant Get ScreamerNet II to work

beanieman
08-01-2003, 07:07 PM
ok, i have a home network and just out of couriosity i wanted to set up screamer net and see if it would really go any faster when it rendered. well i read the Distributing Rendering chapter in the LW7.0 manual about a thousand times and i finally figured out how to set it up....for the most part. i have the ScreamerInit shortcut icon made like it suggested that i do and when i click on it it says screamer is activated and it displays "cant load object file ....." ( the "....." being the directory that its in) and the manual said it would do that until i really initialized it in layout. well when i got to layout to start it, it cant find either CPU and i have two of them that both say screamer is running on them. one thing that im not sure about is one part of the init string that activates screamernet : "L:\ScreamerNet\Common\Job1 L:\ScreamerNet\Common\Ack1" on my computer there is not a folder named "common" anywhere in the main LW folder. is this my problem? also im runing behind a hardware firewall....is that my problem? oh, the two CPU's im trying to use are a P4 2.4 GHz and a P3 800MHz and both machines are running XP. i am totally clueless as u can see so any help is very welcome. thanks a lot!!

richpr
08-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Remove the common and make sure all computers have access to the same L:\Screamernet directory...

Job1, Ack1 etc are files that will be created...

richpr
08-01-2003, 07:21 PM
You could also check out Tequila, Matador or Amleto, which help in their own ways... most of them have demo versions with limited trial time or nodes...

beanieman
08-01-2003, 07:26 PM
ok i think i may try those others becuz its still not working. and my directories are different. i just used the ones if my first post cuz i was reading it right out of the manual. i still dont know whats wrong with it becuz ive done all that its told me. thanks for ur help though.

richpr
08-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Be aware that your content directories have to be shared as well... i.e. the directories where your scenes, objects and images are stored...

Here is a setup similar to mine:

L:\ (really C:\Data\3D on one machine but shared as L:\)
L:\LWSN (contains LWSN.exe + dlls, .cfg, .ack, .bat/.cmd files etc.)
L:\Plugins (plugins directory... you use a modified LW3EXT.CFG)
L:\Scenes
L:\Objects
L:\Images

Those last three would be where all your content is stored... My content directory is set to L:\ for all machines... and they find everything...