PDA

View Full Version : reading tutorial came to a problem

kykk
09-20-2008, 03:03 PM
http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/

I think it is a good tutorial so i try it but it is for Lightwave 6 and 5.6
I have lightwave 9 do that work?

anyway so i keep read the instrustion like create ball those are the same but it say

Convert the points left behind from the ball to single-point-polygons by running the plugin called 'Points2Polys' from the Additional menu.

for lightwave 9 i find out a plugins panel under Utilites and additional there a lot of "name" of plugins but i don't find a thing call points2polys or single-point polygons or SSP ...

are there something like that in lightwave 9 that work the same as ssp in lightwave 6 ?

Medi8or
09-20-2008, 05:52 PM
You could select points, push 'e' for "extender", and then delete.
It extends the points to two-point polys, then you delete one of the points, and you are left with one point polys..

hrgiger
09-20-2008, 07:38 PM
You shouldn't need to do that anymore. Lightwave will now render points where before it wouldn't. Also, there is a star sphere tool in modeler that will create a star field for you. It's under the primitive menu in the drop down.

kykk
09-20-2008, 08:44 PM
then i need to find lightwave 9 tutorial... and i don't want to start a new thread, how do i create plasma effect? i search in forums they just "show" their plasma effect but i don't find any tutorial //

hrgiger
09-20-2008, 08:51 PM
What kind of plasma effect. Post a picture of what you're after.

kykk
09-20-2008, 09:59 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87003
http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/IST/IST204/computer-graphic-_~V3075022.jpg

O do you have Mac computer you know the screen saver that thingy it like "space" ... you should know after you see the forums link..

serge
09-21-2008, 04:42 AM
... but i don't find a thing call points2polys or single-point polygons...
In LW9 you find it under: Create tab > Polygon > Points to Polys.

Medi8or
09-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Or, if you have Studio Production Style menues, Creative Elements -> Points -> Convert -> Make 1-point Polygons

prometheus
09-21-2008, 12:51 PM
then i need to find lightwave 9 tutorial... and i don't want to start a new thread, how do i create plasma effect? i search in forums they just "show" their plasma effect but i don't find any tutorial //

yeah..I havenīt had time to do the tutorial yet, and Im having issues still with a computer that just frezees from time to time.
Anyway..the plasma effect..in what context are you going to use it? as a backdrop effect only or something else?

Basic guideline..start by creating a sphere around 1 meter, hit tab to subpatch it..save it and send it to layout, switch your display mode to vertices so you see only points, open object properties and in the geometry tab increas eyour subpatch value from default 3 to something around 8-15 that will increase your points and you will better see the deformations.
click the deform tab, add a procedural texture called ripple..not ripple2, and start the play button...you should now see the points swirl a little...start playing with the wave,wavelength settings and wave speed. you might want to decrease your texture value or opacity so the object donīt displace to much. thats it for starting basic animation and displacement.

then you have to add hypervoxels sprites on to that, and even increase the display subpatch level even more to around 30-50..but make sure you are satisfied with the animation swirls first, because if you try and play the animation in open gl with such a high subpatch level it will be very very slow.
open viper and tweak your hypervoxels sprite from there.

so..just start with getting the displacement right for a start..you can post a screenshot of the opengl points and I might be able to guide you later on to set up the hypervoxels if you donīt know how to apply those on to objects.

Michael

kykk
09-21-2008, 05:04 PM
ok cool i try that thanks and tell me when you create the tutorial good luck

kykk
09-21-2008, 05:15 PM
I got stuck on ripple part you say click the deform tab, add a procedural texture called ripple
I seee the deform tab in Object properties but i don't see anything call ripple under any list

Sorry for double post it don't let me edit somehow...

prometheus
09-21-2008, 06:47 PM
I got stuck on ripple part you say click the deform tab, add a procedural texture called ripple
I seee the deform tab in Object properties but i don't see anything call ripple under any list

Sorry for double post it don't let me edit somehow...

heres a pic on how it looks..youll acess the displacement texture by clicking on the displacement Texture map button T.

that will get you the texture editor tab seen on the right side of the image..from there youll have to choose layer type procedural and also select procedural type from the list.

Michael

prometheus
09-21-2008, 07:12 PM
And heres more of the settings, itīs the geometry tab settings..so you can see what displacement order Iīm using and how the different display subpatch level settings looks like.
As you can see in the first pic that should be the default setting by thre and it doesnt look like much, but as in pic 2 increased subpatch to level 8 it starts to look like something the odd
points outside of the geometry is just a subpatch cage point representation and they will not show up in viper render or camera render.
Mostly I will use the display level at 8 for checking how the procedural displacement animation will look like..but after adding hypervoxels I usally increase the subpatch level to 20-50 ..that will increase the points ..simulating a lot of particles.

Important to know that most of this is showing how to set it up mostly for fast previewing with viper, hence using subpatch display level settings.
You would probably want to render out with camera but then you have to use the render subpatch level settings instead, but make sure you know how to use it first with viper and hypervoxels.

Ohh..and you can try different type of geometry..this is just a sphere..try a halfe sphere..or a simple plane divided a couple of times or a cylinder or do a torus shape and experiment..just make sure you
hit the tab key and make them subpatch surfaces.

Michael

kykk
09-21-2008, 09:02 PM
ok lol, sphere is a ball right? and do you get that shape thingy from picture by using ripples ? I use the ripples in Displacement Map and i press use Texture and my "ball" did not change to what yours look like, i have all the numbers same as your from picture 1 do it suppose to change the shape ? or i need to make something like that shape first and then subpatch it and use ripples?

prometheus
09-21-2008, 09:06 PM
yepp itīs only a sphere ball object...the only thing that is shaping it is the ripple procedural..
but youll have to subpatch it first..
so if it didnt look like mine..how does it look..you have to give more info..or show a pic better yet.

Michael

kykk
09-22-2008, 05:30 PM
i made a movie or video whatever you call it and it is

http://kywebsite.co.cc/help.avi

I make a ball subpatched do ripples... you should able to see what i did in the movie

prometheus
09-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I had a look at the video, oh by the way..try render out to a quicktime format like sorensen 3 if you want to show videos if you can..it will be in much smaller size and are generally better to scrub through to see whats going on.

yeah you are doing everything right so it is strange that no deformation is happening at all..all the small settings in the procedural shouldnīt matter ..you should get something to displace simple by adding procedurals.
have you tried other procedurals..I guess it wonīt matter and itīs probably something else..

what you can try is this.
under the displacement T button there is something called displacement order.
try and switch to before world displace and if nothing happens switch back again to before local displace.

Michael

Stunt Pixels
09-22-2008, 08:13 PM
i made a movie or video whatever you call it and it is

http://kywebsite.co.cc/help.avi

I make a ball subpatched do ripples... you should able to see what i did in the movie
Sorry, I can't see the vid - your domain is still rippling through the internet.. But do you have deform enabled? (Setup tab in layout - "Enable Deform" should be checked). If it's not enabled it would explain why you aren't seeing the displacement.

prometheus
09-22-2008, 08:14 PM
o yeah..another thing in the geometry tab..you have the subdivision order set to first..I will recomend you set it to after displacement..otherwise it will be very slow to animate when using high subpatch levels and it migh also give unpredictable results when changing the procedural ripple opacity values so that you might not see deformations correctly.

Michael

prometheus
09-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry, I can't see the vid - your domain is still rippling through the internet.. But do you have deform enabled? (Setup tab in layout - "Enable Deform" should be checked). If it's not enabled it would explain why you aren't seeing the displacement.

Of course..thats most likely it..I forgot about that one..thought it was on by default.

Michael

kykk
09-22-2008, 08:23 PM
i also find a thing look like displacement panel it object level go to geometry tab and there is a T button i think it the same but the name is differnt..subdivision order is already first....i didn't change it so do i change it to something else then add displacement?
can you do a movie maybe i missing one step or different settings of other things....o and i go to nodes editor and there is a displacement but nothing is inside it...

prometheus
09-22-2008, 08:30 PM
kykk

sorry donīt have time to do movies now..have to hit the sack, itīs way past midnight and actually I should be going up and work unless I wasnīt unemployed and between extra jobs for the moment.

but your doing everything right except in the geometry tab..you shouldnīt have subdivision order set to first it should be set to after displacement.
also the t button in the geometry tab you are refering to is most likely a texture option regarding the rendersubpatch level and donīt mind about that one..

The first thing as mentioned in post above go to the setup tab in layout and make sure the enable deform is checked..itīs located under general ..beneath
enable ik.

Michael

kykk
09-22-2008, 08:36 PM
OO!! I did "something" and now it work... I THINK i you know the view mode i change vertices to something else and then change back and there it is... idk if that make it happen i just press buttons around .... O and i think i know what happen so i "forgot" to add subpatch when i start a new one, and then i remember to add it and it pop back to a ball ... so i change view mode agani and it back.. so that why...do it suppose to happen,,

ok now i "have" it what wave speed do....

you say
Basic guideline..start by creating a sphere around 1 meter, hit tab to subpatch it..save it and send it to layout, switch your display mode to vertices so you see only points, open object properties and in the geometry tab increas eyour subpatch value from default 3 to something around 8-15 that will increase your points and you will better see the deformations.
click the deform tab, add a procedural texture called ripple..not ripple2, and start the play button...you should now see the points swirl a little...start playing with the wave,wavelength settings and wave speed. you might want to decrease your texture value or opacity so the object donīt displace to much. thats it for starting basic animation and displacement.

then you have to add hypervoxels sprites on to that, and even increase the display subpatch level even more to around 30-50..but make sure you are satisfied with the animation swirls first, because if you try and play the animation in open gl with such a high subpatch level it will be very very slow.
open viper and tweak your hypervoxels sprite from there.

so..just start with getting the displacement right for a start..you can post a screenshot of the opengl points and I might be able to guide you later on to set up the hypervoxels if you donīt know how to apply those on to objects.

o and i have a problem when i change the angle what i looking at you know the 3rd button at top right corner it change to a box and then change back when i stop changing angle is it like make it faster? how i turn it off so i see it when i move it get what i mean...?

anyway i hope i not annoy i just type fast..

so i have the thing now what i do you say hypervoxels what that, ( i just a new guy but newbie but not good in layout i experience on modeler first.. )

prometheus
09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
)[/QUOTE]o and i have a problem when i change the angle what i looking at you know the 3rd button at top right corner it change to a box and then change back when i stop changing angle is it like make it faster? how i turn it off so i see it when i move it get what i mean...?
so i have the thing now what i do you say hypervoxels what that, ( i just a new guy but newbie but not good in layout i experience on modeler first.. )[/QUOTE]

donīt know what you mean..sorry..post a pic of what button youré refering to.
if the ripple deform animation goes to slow..itīs probably cause you have the subdivision order set to first..it must be after displacement or last for faster deformations.

also Im running windows xp and 2 gig ram a pentium 4 3 ghz and a quadro fx 110 graphics card..so it depends on what graphics card you have also.

also check the help manual files.

and heres a tutorial on basic hypervoxels,bad quality thou.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6R14LSUEJI

that tutorials starts with basics but on particles..go throu that first so you get the idea..then I might show you how to put it on to the deformed object.

Michael

kykk
09-22-2008, 09:18 PM
i don't know the exact graphic card i have .. i need to ask my dad lol....but i know it fast my bro use it to play computer games... anyway i go learn hypervoxels first and if i have any question tell you later ^_^

kykk
09-22-2008, 09:40 PM
why i sometimes can edit what i post sometimes i can't..
do you see the E and T button

http://www.ksclans.x10hosting.com/help2.bmp

how i turn it off lol, i try lot of things..

Medi8or
09-23-2008, 03:52 AM
Hold Shift and click on the E and T to clear them.

(you can't edit posts older than 5 minutes)

prometheus
09-23-2008, 09:13 AM
so..now you now a little about hypervoxels right?
windows/volumetric and fog options will open the effects tab..and under volumetrics add hypervoxels and double click on it will open the hypervoxels panel.
You can of course custumize the layout interface so you can have a button called hypervoxels and open it up from there if you want.

anyway..add the hypervoxels in your scene with the displaced ball and you should see in the hypervoxels tab that your object is listed there..just simply double click on it or activate it and hit the v on you keybord, itīs the shortcut for viper you should be seeing a lot of hypervoxels surface blobs attached to your object, switch to sprite mode and lower density to something around 10-30 ...also turn of hypertextures, they are of no good use for tiny particle/point sprites.

Remember to not have to high subpatch display levels in the beginning..that is where you control how many points and hypervoxels will show up..try and increase the levels from 4,6,10 and have viper and hypervoxel open so you can see directly how the density of hypervoxels points will increase...set viper to draft mode at first[U]...[U]and you will have to decrease density and particle size in relation to if you increase subpatch levels.

Michael

kykk
09-23-2008, 04:21 PM
o my.... yesterday the link you send me now the movie take down.....Why you use a ball at the start ? why not other like a box not a box but a thing like land...look at this

http://kywebsite.co.cc/landform.bmp

then i use that and it not as bad as the one i try to made with ball, the one i try to use ball to make is

http://kywebsite.co.cc/mythingys.bmp

it not as good as that...

prometheus
09-23-2008, 05:05 PM
what do you mean? what movie is taken down?

as I told you in earlier post, you can use any shape you want that fits your need, in this greenish plasma effect i didnīt use a ball, that was a subdivided plane actually and the deformation isnīt done by using the ripple procedural..it is using turbulence I think..but it is more advanced in that way that you have to add a null reference and move or scale that null at a certain time and then have that null as a reference to the procedural texture to make in animate.

http://vimeo.com/user680656/videos/sort:date

Michael

kykk
09-23-2008, 06:16 PM
you made that it cool, about the movie nvm it show again, so in the movie it show about the Dynamic Ojb-Particle-Emitter and do you use that? I try to use same thing on the 1mball that i created with modeler, but i see the polygons when i press F9 in layout do i need to kill the polygons in moder first? OR i do something with those polygons?
what did you use for the green thingy what the basic look like? and you use spite right?

prometheus
09-23-2008, 06:26 PM
hey kykk..I didnīt use any particles for that green thingy:)

hypervoxels are applied directly on to the objects points..as I explain earlier.
open up your hypervoxels panel, use your 1 m ball sphere scene for a start since that is setup correctly. in the hypervoxels panel you should see a list with your 1m ball sphere, double click on it to activate hypervoxels or click the activate button.
make sure you open viper..its the v button on your keyboard.
set viper to draft first not normal to speed things up.

then youll have to switch from surface to sprites.
Im not sure if I can guide you so much more from here..Maybe it will be easier to do a video tutorial...If I got the time and if my machine donīt freeze:)

Michael

prometheus
09-23-2008, 06:30 PM
ohh and by the way..youll have to make your object unseen by camera when doing actuall camera render..but donīt go there yet..you need to know how to set it up get it look good in viper first.

theres a difference in that you have to use the render subpatch level when doing camera render, but setting it up is easier to do first with viper and then try to match render subpatch level to that of display subpatch level, wich you then should turn down.

Michael

kykk
09-23-2008, 09:24 PM
ok i will try that and experience with the stuff you tell me first...O a quick question where you make the animation like a short movie where you do that... i see a export in the file tab but what is save as 5.6 scene? and i try few of those and they don't make a movie clip one make .wrl file?

prometheus
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
those animations samples are just rendered out directly from viper, you can do that in viper where it says preview ..from there you choose options
you will get some options to choose from ..change save file from avi to quicktime, then click the choose codec button and choose either animering
or quicktime sorensen 3.
click ok then you will have to save it out ..you will find that under that preview button to...its save preview...but you have to make the preview first.

you can only render out 640x480 ..if you want higher than that..you have to render out with the camera settings.

have to hit the sack now..goodnight.

Michael

kykk
09-24-2008, 04:01 PM
ok i will try that and experience with the stuff you tell me first...O a quick question where you make the animation like a short movie where you do that... i see a export in the file tab but what is save as 5.6 scene? and i try few of those and they don't make a movie clip one make .wrl file?