PDA

View Full Version : Texture warping!

samartin
09-20-2008, 03:15 AM
Hi all,

Got a deadline approaching like real soon! I have searched for texture warping and nothing came up for me...

Anyway please find attached 2 screens of a harrier I'm working on, I want to use LW/F-Prime for the final output as I need to animate all 4 undercarriages but as you can see I'm having problems! I don't want to use MODO for animating as it's a pain to be honest and LW is the best tool for this job.

So can anyone help me out as to why I'm getting huge amounts of distortion with the same bump map?

cheers

Scott

samartin
09-20-2008, 03:17 AM
D'oh an image might help!

http://www.plop.info/CGT/harrier_lwmodo.jpg

For your information, I'm using sub-D's for the object and I'm currently using one UV to control the texture information, and I'm likely to keep it down to one UV for the whole thing...

meshpig
09-20-2008, 04:51 AM
Hi samartin

You mapped it in modo to begin with?

m

samartin
09-20-2008, 05:06 AM
Hi meshpig,

Cool name BTW :)

Yep this is mapped with one UV so far within MODO, I am fleshing out the panels etc... and then taking it into PS for tidying up the outlines etc...

The only other thing I can mention is that currently it's a 2048x2048 PNG and I may even go upto 4096x4096. I find it very odd that LW isn't handling this properly, there used to be a problem with sub-D's and LW back around 7.5! I seriously hope this will be a simple fix as I don't want to animate all the linking in MODO!!!

Tobian
09-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Ok couple of things I can think of off the top of my head..

Modo and LW don't handle Subdivision surfaces exactly the same, especially when it comes to CC subD's in LW which are quite different (but allow for ngons and such). Does it have any weighting on edges or points, as that might not translate well?

Also if you look in the vertex panel in LW Modeler (F8) you will see there are a number of interpolation types. Subpatch is meant to help resolve texture deformation issues, and the others are custom types for other certain issues. I am not sure how Modo does it's UV mapping and interpolation, but that could be why you are getting odd stretching/breaking maybe?

Bog
09-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Off the top of my head, I think you'll meet with more success just re-UVing that model in LW. Looks like the map interpolation's handled quite differently in the other package.

samartin
09-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, I'm not using any edge weighting and the likes, I wanted to keep it as a vanilla model which I thought would have no problems going into LW. I am using N-gons but I can sort that out no problem!

It appears that using CC sub-D's is the problem then!? I will try a little later and post results of my findings. Modeller keeps crashing on me when I have the UV info on show and open the texture panel which is a major pain!!!

I will keep you all posted as I really want to use LW just to keep things simple when I come to animating this piece...

cheers all

Tobian
09-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Well convert it all to quads, and make it regular SubD's instead, Modo handles SubD's very similarly, CC's are a different thing again, so they don't function the same across packages.

SplineGod
09-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Unless the jet is being deformed I would also try freezing the mesh.

samartin
09-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Ahhh that's a good and maybe easy option to cover, for this deadline that will be fine :) I will let everyone know my findings in the near future as I want to zoom into any part and it look OK eventually...

cheers all

samartin
09-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Larry that works a treat, no fretting over getting this into LW anymore :)

Thanks as I would have never thought of that option...

samartin
09-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Just thought I'd chime back, I went for the frozen method, to be honest it's a good way to do it. If I need a higher-res mesh I metaform it anyway. There is definitely no texture warping going on now...

Thanks Larry, you saved me hours of research and hair pulling :o)

SplineGod
09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Cool, glad to know it worked out :)

gerry_g
09-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Think the CC thing might be a red herring, only problem I can see is if you have uv's set to smooth/interpolated in Modo, when you bring it into LW (which doesn't support smooth uv's in CC mode) you get seam edge problems, If you are using smooth uv's in Modo try switching them to linear before you export, but of corse this will throw your texture map out of sync. I may be wrong on this as like most people have stated I freeze and export mostly myself.