PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX for grass

simpfendoerfer
09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
If I make fiber Width really high shouldn't get a fiber comming close to grass? Unfortunately, I don't see a difference between 1000% and 100000000%.

Ztreem
09-19-2008, 03:34 PM
NO, it doesn't. It would be great, but it doesn't. Sasquatch is better in this regard or poly grass.

zatara
09-19-2008, 06:11 PM
I tried to make a soccer field with fiberfx, and I dont have good and fast results. Sasquatch did the job, very fast!!!

Dodgy
09-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah, the width thing is something which needs looking at. Grass is easy with Sas

MooseDog
09-19-2008, 10:02 PM
i don't have it immediately available, but i think i remember the ffx manual saying that it's width calculation of fibers was directly tied to the width of hair, as known to science :).

WilliamVaughan
09-19-2008, 10:15 PM
i don't have it immediately available, but i think i remember the ffx manual saying that it's width calculation of fibers was directly tied to the width of hair, as known to science :).

correct.... so getting thick grass at this time isnt going to happen with FFX IMHO. But gettings hair is a snap.

WilliamVaughan
09-20-2008, 11:33 PM
I might have to eat my words :)

check this out so far...renders fast as well

more gooodies here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88961

WilliamVaughan
09-20-2008, 11:39 PM
another test

adamredwoods
09-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Checkbox: Volume Only

helps sometimes as well.

WilliamVaughan
09-21-2008, 08:55 AM
havent tried Volume only.... will have to give it a go

simpfendoerfer
09-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks William,
What is the trick to get the fibers as thick as grass, if the fiber width doesn't do it?
Thanks, Thomas

Ztreem
09-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I think it's the feather trick that you can find a tutorial in this forum somewhere. It clumps the fiber together at the tip to form a cone shape, looks like a useful trick for thick grass, thanks Proton.

WilliamVaughan
09-21-2008, 11:19 AM
yup...clump is your friend when creating grass.....clump away

WilliamVaughan
09-21-2008, 02:53 PM
I'll make a video

Silkrooster
09-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Cool William, always looking forward to your video's.
Silk

WilliamVaughan
09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I have a couple uploading now

WilliamVaughan
09-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Try this two videos for you grass:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88961&page=9

post #123

Traveler
09-22-2008, 02:05 PM
After having seen the FF grass video, I went on to create some grass of my own.
After a while I started experimenting with imagemaps to controle the density of the maps, for example to create a road. The following however is the result (see image) I think the problem is that clump is trying to connect strands, even though there are no strands nearby.

Is there a way to eliminate these faulty strands or do I have to look for a different solution to eliminate grass from certain locations?

Thanks,

simpfendoerfer
09-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Interesting is that the additional bunch of grass is right in the center.

WilliamVaughan
09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
After having seen the FF grass video, I went on to create some grass of my own.
After a while I started experimenting with imagemaps to controle the density of the maps, for example to create a road. The following however is the result (see image) I think the problem is that clump is trying to connect strands, even though there are no strands nearby.

Is there a way to eliminate these faulty strands or do I have to look for a different solution to eliminate grass from certain locations?

Thanks,

can we get a wireframe shot of your ground plane?

Traveler
09-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Of course :)

I had to redo the scene as somehow the lws file wont load in layout anymore. (Layout crashes immediately, very scary).

(btw, something I forgot to mention in my previous post was that the imagemap is actually inverted in layout.)

Ztreem
09-22-2008, 03:05 PM
try set the smooth (in fiberFX) down to 0 or 1 and see if it fixes the center thing.

Traveler
09-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I've tested that as well, but with no success.
I've attached an image of the settings, although they are very similar as what William has in his video.

Btw, (not sure I should post this in this thread) there's a bug that can be seen in the image. If you check the T button next to Max F. Density, texture panel 1 becomes visible. Mind the left side of the panel. Now, I do not close the panel, but click the T button next to Random Lenght, and panel 2 shows.
Notice how the right part has changed, but the part with the layers has not!

WilliamVaughan
09-22-2008, 03:35 PM

I had to redo the scene as somehow the lws file wont load in layout anymore. (Layout crashes immediately, very scary).

(btw, something I forgot to mention in my previous post was that the imagemap is actually inverted in layout.)

havent seen this before but I'm quite new to FFX... I'll see if I can recreate it when time is available

WilliamVaughan
09-22-2008, 03:37 PM
my first suggestion would be to break up the road as a different surface and that would be the quick fix

Traveler
09-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Until there's a proper solution, I'm going to add a second object positioned slightly above the grass object, and check 'unseen by camera' on the grass object. That pretty much gives the result I was looking for and this way I can still quickly alter the direction of the road by replacing the map.

In any case, thanks a lot for your time...

WilliamVaughan
09-22-2008, 08:26 PM
looks great...get a big render and lets show that bad boy off!

ANS
09-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Traveler, try to make terrain with more polygons. This maybe can help with these weird clump attrifact in center of your render.
I made simple experiment- if terrain is a 1 polygon object, clump effect is really weird... but after subdivision everything went to normal.

simpfendoerfer
09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I am trying my luck with grass again. I am very close. In that scale the patches are very large. How can I make them smaller? Cluster radius doesn't seem to be doing it.

WilliamVaughan
09-24-2008, 04:02 PM
I am trying my luck with grass again. I am very close. In that scale the patches are very large. How can I make them smaller? Cluster radius doesn't seem to be doing it.

use smaller polys

simpfendoerfer
09-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks, William. That is not such a good dependency I think, or?
Do you know what Cluster and Cluster radius do?

simpfendoerfer
09-24-2008, 04:22 PM
It also appears that the OGL draw does not adjust, at least if I use a subpatch object and increase the poly density by increasing Display subpatch level. The patches in the rendering become smaller though if I increase the render subpatch level. That works, only that I have to subpatch now with a value for object level of 24 to get closer to what I need. I don't want to do that necessarily.

mav3rick
09-24-2008, 05:00 PM
proton how about idea to enable ffx to give me width of fiber enough big to simulate size of grass and than to enable me to apply texture map to tell it to use with each fiber..... this way we would be able to simulate feathers without need to use polygons...

simpfendoerfer
09-24-2008, 06:48 PM
mav3rick you still would have to get flat leaves. If you make the fibers just thicker, they probably would get round.

simpfendoerfer
09-24-2008, 06:52 PM
I just rendered my grass at max fiber density of 200 and 400% but I get exactly the same image. I imagined I could fill in the single grass leaves a bit more with more fibers.

IgnusFast
09-24-2008, 07:58 PM

I'm having that same crash issue with one of my scenes - I'm not even using FFX. I just modified one of the objects, and it started crashing on load. I wound up renaming the only object I'd modified, then saying no to that object when the scene objected. Thankfully I didn't have complex parenting on that object. The scene loaded fine that way, so I re-added the object after the scene loaded and it's been fine since - a little scary, though!!!

This was with the release version, not even a beta.

ANS
09-25-2008, 01:32 AM
To be honest, FiberFX as grass is... poor. It's depedent of polygon size, and if we look into this "grass" from above, its clumps has uniform and unnatural look. I never seen before grass leaves made of badzillions of thick fibers... in this case, sasquatch is much much better. I hope that FiberFX get in future more options, especially fiber "width" in three points- root, middle and end, this made possible to make realistic looking grass.

Ztreem
09-25-2008, 11:27 AM
To be honest, FiberFX as grass is... poor. It's depedent of polygon size, and if we look into this "grass" from above, its clumps has uniform and unnatural look. I never seen before grass leaves made of badzillions of thick fibers... in this case, sasquatch is much much better. I hope that FiberFX get in future more options, especially fiber "width" in three points- root, middle and end, this made possible to make realistic looking grass.

I depends of how you layout your polys, you don't have to have sqaure polys you know. You can also apply displacement to the geometry for even better result.

geothefaust
09-25-2008, 03:59 PM
If we ever get a "true" instancing solution, where as you can set a random size, rotation, scale, color, etc., then this type of thing wont be a problem. But generally, what I have done in tests, is to have two poly planes stacked on one another, each with different types of grass fibers to break up the uniform look. You could even add third one for more variety.