PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Newtek and Luxology

takkun
08-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Since I've been very vocal lately about my impressions of seeing the Modo demo, I'd like to make a statement that I think Newtek has the upper hand.

Modo 1.0 is coming out later this year.

Lightwave 8.0 is coming out later this year.

Lightwave is a complete 3d modeling, animation, lighting, rendering package.

Luxology haven't announced what their other programs are and they probably won't be released till sometime next year, all they are offering this year is a modeler.

Version 1.0 of any complex software is always very buggy and has issues to work out. I won't even consider purchasing it till version 1.5 or 2.0. By that time, Lightwave 8.5 and possibly 9.0 will be out.

Luxology is going to need a lot of time to get on their feet and create a solid, complete production-ready solution.

Newtek is already organized and has a solid proven product.

Luxology definitely seems to be developing a superior product.

Newtek seems to be taking a better approach then before to developing their software, with more updates in a more timely manner with better integrated code.

Luxology has great developers like Allen Hastings and Stuart Fergueson.

Newtek has great new developers like Ino and the guys from Irrational Numbers!

So my opinion is that while Luxology has a great product, it's going to take a lot of time for them to create a complete solid package to compete with Lightwave. In that time, Newtek has the opportunity to answer Luxology's challenge and create a better 3d program.

shermanlu
08-01-2003, 04:44 PM
agree with ya... takkun

so, let's just sit back and see who runs faster in this race....;)

meanwhile... I'd like to see LW8 packed in the early of Q4...don't care abot new core & new modeler so far but hunger for those CA tools which have been add on... those stuff will make my projects look SUPER!!!:D

DigiLusionist
08-01-2003, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure what difference it makes to feel assured that NT has the upperhand on Lux. This theme is a non-issue that has been made as a defense for LW because of the presence of Modo (codename only, I was told, and subject to change).

I doubt Lux is going to fall on its ***, despite predictions to the contrary, and I don't see LW vanishing even if Modo turns out to be a phenomenal piece of software.

After all, LW fanatics swear LW is THE best app in the universe, and that hasn't buried Max, Maya, SI, or even a program like Hash Animation Master!

The way Messiah has been developed has no bearing on how Modo has been developed, nor can a logical anology be made to justify the premise that Modo may/will stall at the gate. Now how could any one of us know that?

Hell, an argument could be made that Modo will be the de facto modeler for the next five years, but that would still be asinine conjecture. Again, how the hell would anyone be able to authoritatively state that?

So, yes, Modo is on the horizon. Non Issue, peeps!! Let's all wish them well, for Christ's sake, and stop the bashing. (not speaking to you, Tak).

The defensiveness that arises when the words Lux, Brad, and now Modo are spoken verges on the pathetic...

hrgiger
08-01-2003, 08:26 PM
I have to agree with you Digilusionist. Another app, it doesn't make much difference. People aren't going to be leaving Lightwave in droves, just because they have edges and a stack.

"I know there is much we can learn from one another. We can co-exist in peace."

-Bill PullMan as the President in Independance Day.

Seemed fitting.

But to simplify what takkun was saying, I simply believe if there is an upper hand to be had, it is Newtek right now. They're an established company with an established and diverse user base, with a proven record of delivering a quality product at an affordable price. Lux is a new company that hasn't delivered a product yet so we really don't know enough about them. The fact is, a lot of new companies fail. It's a sad fact of life, and I'm not saying they will, but very few companies coming out of the gate are a sure thing. There are already modelers out there that some people probably consider better then Lightwave's modeler, but that hasn't seemed to affect us too much. The opinions of which program is better will continue to be just that- opinions.

hrgiger
08-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Oh, and I should add:

Why do we need another [email protected] LUX/NT thread???

takkun
08-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Oh, and I should add:

Why do we need another [email protected] LUX/NT thread??? Hey, I'm not going to start anymore, I just wanted to say my peace and shut up. But just be prepared for more Lux/NT threads over the next couple months/years. It's inevitable. :( :)

Dick Ma
08-02-2003, 01:18 AM
So Sorry Takkun, I do not like what you are saying about on this topic.

Both products are not released yet but so soon you have comments on this two products, say which WILL BE Buggy, and which WILL BE Solid.

Be fair.

DigiLusionist
08-02-2003, 01:30 AM
Hey, Tak, where here in San Diego are you a student at?

takkun
08-02-2003, 01:33 AM
Dick Ma, XSI 1.0 was buggy, Maya 1.0 was buggy, maybe Modo 1.0 will be solid, but I'm thinking that it will have it's fair share of problems.

I started this thread because after thinking of nothing else since Monday, these are some of the conclusions my puny brain could muster. Deep down I want Newtek to succeed and I'll stick by them.... until Modo/Animato* 3.0 comes out. :D Just kidding!

*there's no program called Animato

Dick Ma
08-02-2003, 01:48 AM
You may be ruined by your tradition thoughts.

every software released or updated is so common to stained with bugs. The main problem is do you discover it or not. If yes, you are so lucky that you are the first person to discover the buggy. If no, then I think you are not smart enough to find the hidden bugs.

I am using LW 7.5c and I also facing bugs. I have to turn on Edge settings in my cell shaded project in Object panel, instead of using the "buggy" speadsheet.

So what do you think about LW developed several versions and still have the itchy things?

takkun
08-02-2003, 02:10 AM
You may be ruined by your tradition thoughts. Things change so fast in the 3d industry. For example, one day Brazil is the best renderer out there, then the next day Final Render is, now the "popular" program is Vray! If I went out and got every shiny new program out there, would I be better for it? I think it's better to stick with something for a while instead of constantly jumping ships and burning bridges. If Lux is still around in a year or two and have made the best modeling, animation, lighting, rendering package ever (who knows, they might :) ) then, hell yeah! I'm there dude!

takkun
08-02-2003, 02:18 AM
DigiLusionist, check your PM.

Dick Ma
08-02-2003, 03:15 AM
Hey takkun, I am not really going to make you mad you know. Just to tell you that don't get into the first impression to make judgement, get into a deeper eyeslight.

I am not pursuing someone to jumping ships and buring bridges. But personally I think two products are too similar and can be say that they are come from one origin (but they are competing now).
As their release date is similar, what about waiting them to release and making a better judgement?

shermanlu
08-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Hey~ what if the LUX team is not originally form NT... will we get so emotional??? most of us claimed that Modo should be the NEXT version of Modeler... even "should be" the part of LW8...

there're a lot of rumors and arguments in this forum... it's really sad to see lots of people fighting in the smoke... I really think we should focus on the main subject of the LW8 improvement. According to Mr.Stranahan's responses in his threads, i can really sense that NT is going to play a very serious ball game after reforming the programing team of LightWave. I'm sure it's a healthy and positive attitude that NT made...

on the other hand, I'll be just watching LUX move... I do agree that LUX apps have the chance to become the "next generation" 3D apps... but hey.... NT is promising too!!!

You know what... I've sworn to myself...if NT does not show any improvement on CA, I'll Switch to MAYA right after siggraph...SO...NT did make the right move to hold me stay... at least for now. I truly believe NT will keep LW right on the track of evolution. Let's just sit back for 4~6 months to see how things turns out...

zarti
08-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Come onnn!!

PLEASE STOP THIS DISCUSSION and TURN TO YOUR WORK!

this is not making sense any more.
let them work and you do so.

Check both pages frequently for 'big' news and do something
rather then filling server's HD's with ......bla...blaaaaa.

RESPECT!