PDA

View Full Version : Config for Layout, gets killed by Modeler

Geoff Vane
09-19-2008, 10:49 AM
I start Layout. Set everything the way I like it and exit.

When I restart Layout, the config is O.K. and things look neat.

When I start Modeler first, it kills my Layout config!!

How can I stop that?

Geoff Vane
09-19-2008, 11:14 AM
In this post I read that changing the shortcut targets (which I did for screaming), also asks for changes of the Hub's shortcut targets.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27116&highlight=config

My Hub has no shortcut... I don't understand the post, but it seems to be the same problem.

I do find hub's .cfg file in my dir, like all the other .cfg's but starting modeler first, keeps killing my Layout config...

Help me, o Gods.

Geoff Vane
09-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Help please

Geoff Vane
09-27-2008, 03:38 PM
So, nobody has their Layout config destroyed when they open Modeler first and Layout later? It's just me?

Stunt Pixels
09-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Do you have the same set up for both shortcuts? As in, are both shortcuts pointing to the same directory for the configs? I've never seen this issue, but my instinct says that pointing to different directories may be the cause...

One thing that can help a heap when sorting out config issues is to check where on your computer you have LW configs stored - do a search for "lw9.cfg" and "lwm9.cfg". Delete any that are not in the location you want. Restart Layout and Modeler, then do the searches again. Let us know the result of that.

Geoff Vane
10-02-2008, 04:22 AM
LW9.cfg and LWM9.cfg do not get changed when I change something in Modeler or Layout.

However, the changes I make in Layout are remembered. Also a file called config is updated. LWEXT.cfg gets updated too.

see here: http://screencast.com/t/1kTXpxbwm

If I dare start Modeler first, my Layout presets get killed.

These are my shortcut target lines:

S:\_LightWave95\Programs\lightwav.exe -c"S:\_LightWave95\Config\config"
S:\_LightWave95\Programs\modeler.exe -c"S:\_LightWave95\Config\config"

http://screencast.com/t/hbxX5cyYwQ

Stunt Pixels
10-02-2008, 02:42 PM
LW9.cfg and LWM9.cfg do not get changed when I change something in Modeler or Layout.

However, the changes I make in Layout are remembered. Also a file called config is updated. LWEXT.cfg gets updated too.

The shortcuts look fine, but lets go to the basics here before worrying about custom shortcuts. Did you search for all cfg files? Because lw9.cfg, lwm9.cfg, and lwext9.cfg, update for me any time I shut the programs down. Also, I have no idea which config file you are saying gets updated, is it just called "config"?

Why don't you search for any config files, delete them, start layout then modeler, shut them down, then do another search for configs.

Roly
10-02-2008, 02:50 PM
It looks to me that you're assigning the same config file for both.

Stunt Pixels
10-02-2008, 03:40 PM
It looks to me that you're assigning the same config file for both.

I don't think so, even though the the shortcuts include "\Config\config" this should just be using "config" as a subdirectory of "Config", which is strange but should be fine...

Actually, good point though. Geoff, what happens if you just start layout and modeler from the programs directory?

Stunt Pixels
10-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Nothing to see here...

Geoff Vane
10-03-2008, 07:06 AM
"\Config\config" results in a file without extension, that is made by Lightwave when I create shortcuts with S:\_LightWave95\Programs\lightwav.exe -c"S:\_LightWave95\Config\config".

Seems like both programs use the extensionless file "config" to store their presets, which results in overwriting all the time.

Strange that the programs don't find their own .cfg files.

When I start Layout from the program directory, my presets are not there, but I can make new ones. Also no file within my Config directory gets updated. I guess another .cfg file is made elswhere when I start from the program dir. When I start from the desktop icons again, my old presets are found again.