PDA

View Full Version : Preset Quandry

tawolf
02-23-2003, 11:43 PM
Hello;

As A user just getting back into LW I have found an interesting dilema.

I do not understand how "presets" are managed for certain plugins. I can find the plugins in explorer but I do not know how to attach them to the proper functions. In fact I do not know much about where they are to reside in the content scheme.

I have read the manual but it does little to clarify the situation because I have preset folders in numerous places.

Could someone give me a source for information on how to organize presets.

Ted Wolf

riki
02-24-2003, 02:00 AM
Presets are stored in the Presets Shelf.

The preset button is context dependant, depending on what panel you have open.

If you have the surface editor open and hit the Preset button it will open the preset Shelf with Surface Presets, if you have Volumetric Lights open and hit the Preset button it will open the preset Shelf with Volumetric Light Presets. The same deal for Hypervoxels and Skytracer etc.

If you have none of these panels open and hit the preset button, the Preset Shelf will appear empty.

The preset files are stored in the program folder. Hope this helps.

tawolf
02-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Thanks Riki;

Most of the preset librarys are locacated in my program sub dir.

The problem is with plugins like Eki's Sky gen and others.
where do they belong.

second; if I download a preset for say hypervoxels do i put that preset in a folder in the program/ preset subfolder and if I do will the HV plugin see it.

Ted

Skonk
02-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Under x:\LightWave\Programs\Presets\ u then have subdir's for all the diff types like hypervoxels, surfaces etc.. So if u dl a preset put it in the matching subfolder.

James..

tawolf
02-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks SpankDaddy;

So, do all presets belong in the x:/programs/presets sub?

When I look at the directory I see a number of folders one folder is named "MasterHandler"right now it contains several plug in preset subs. Does the master handler have a special function?

also each sub in the main dir has a "workspace" sub, is this the folder that is active when you have a presetshelf open?

Ted

riki
02-24-2003, 03:37 PM
yep all Presets belong in the Presets Folder, under the appropriate subdirectory. Yes Workspace is the default window that opens up. But I wouldn't store them in the 'Workspace' sub, I'd organise them into libraries.

I don't know what the deal is with Eki's Skygen, did it come with an installer?
The Presets Sub should contain the following folders:

- EnvironmentHandler Presets for things like Sky Tracer
- HyperVoxels
- ImageFilterHandler
- PixelFilterHandler
- Surface Editor
- VLight Editor
- VolumetricHandler for things like Ground Fog

Skonk
02-24-2003, 03:44 PM
master handler relates to Master Plugins so plugins that use presets will save them in the master handler folder under another subfolder related to the plugins name. For example Grass genrator or Tree generator will save presets in there.

James..

Halsu
05-16-2003, 09:13 AM
From the SkyGen docs:

PlugPak site (http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak/index.html)

There is a multitude of presets included in SkyGen V3, but you can also download additional presets.
You should unzip the Skygen presets to the Lightwave texture environment presets folder.

In Lightwave 7.0 this is usually
Programs/Presets/EnvironmentHandler/LW_TextureEnvironment/.

In Lightwave 7.5 this is usually
Programs/Presets/EnvironmentHandler/Textured Environment/.