PDA

View Full Version : Changing Changing the lightwave layout colors

khalid
08-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Hi every one,
I am using LW 7.5 on the Mac OSX, & I wonder if any one knows how to change the colors of the layout + buttons, I so a discussion in the forum that talks about this & how I should change a list of numbers in the HubPref. , But nothing happens, I think that only works on the Os9....Does any one know another way? Or am I doing it wrong??
Thank for your support:)

mlinde
08-01-2003, 03:15 PM
It will only work in the Hub prefs if you are running the Hub. I tried pasting this into my Lightwave Layout 3 Prefs (at the bottom, so it's easy to remove) and it worked, although I can't say I love the colors:

DialogButtonColor 255 255 0
ActionButtonColor 255 0 0
ToolButtonColor 0 0 255
StateButtonColor 0 120 255
DragButtonColor 150 160 175
BackgroundColor 127 127 127
InfoAreaColor 150 150 150
InfoAreaTextColor 000 000 025

khalid
08-01-2003, 03:50 PM
-Sorry, Where is the Hub preferences?

-Is it the file that is in the (Backup Configs) directory?

-Do I launch the small file in there called (LightWave Hub Prefs) & remove the text & save over it Or just ad your numbers to the list?

-So is it better to past the list that you gave me in (LightWave Hub Prefs) or in the (LightWave Layout 3 Prefs)??

-Do I do that when LW is launched or before launching-??

Sorry for all the questions, I'm always afraid to tamper with LWs files & the get major crashes & then I have to install again..
Thanks for the help:)

khalid
08-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks a lot, It works when I first use the (InitConfigsX) icon, but if I quit & restart LW it goes back to its original form!! so then I have to (InitConfigsX) again then restart LW, & again it works, I quit again then restart, there we go again-!! back to the original colors... any Ideas? am I missing a step? what do you want me to do?:confused:
Thanks for your help

toby
08-01-2003, 07:13 PM
go to : users/yourname/library/preferences/ and open "LightWave Hub Prefs" in a text editor and add the code at the bottom. I don't use the hub but it works anyway - it also changes Layout and Modeler colors at the same time.

I just use these:

BackgroundColor 110 110 110
InfoAreaColor 100 100 100

it darkens the background and text fields a bit, easier on the eyes and makes the buttons stand out a little more

I found some other cool things to do in the Layout pref files, like adding custom camera resolution presets and changing the defalut camera settings where it says "ResolutionPreset", "FrameSize", and "DefaultZoomFactor"

khalid
08-02-2003, 07:52 AM
It all works except the Background + the layout & some of the buttons !! do you have any Idea why ?? is there a problem with the osx??:confused:

mlinde
08-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Is it possible some of those settings exist in the Lightwave and Modeler specific preference files?

That would probably create a conflict.

It shouldn't be OS X specific.

khalid
08-02-2003, 01:10 PM
I tried it on two different Macs, one in the office & one at home, I even reinstalled LW !! Do you have any other Idea what 2 try next?
I will tell you exactly how I am doing this incase there is a wrong step that I am doing
1-I start LW & then I quit it so I can keep Hub On.
2-I open the "LightWave Hub Prefs" keep in mind that there are two files on the system,
-the first in LightWave 3D 7.5/Backup Configs/LightWave Hub Prefs
-the second in the users/yourname/library/preferences/LightWave Hub Prefs
The second one is the one that everyone asked me to use.
3-I copy & past these Numbers in the bottom of the list
StateButtonColor 80 80 100
ActionButtonColor 120 120 140
DialogButtonColor 80 80 110
DragButtonColor 160 170 190
BackgroundColor 80 80 115
InfoAreaColor 115 115 130
InfoAreaTextColor 255 255 255
ToolButtonColor 80 80 100

4- Now I save & launch LW
some of them work, but the main one that I want to change never changes-!!
Any Ideas
:( Thank for helping

toby
08-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Don't run any of the programs when you do this!!!

If you start up a program, it reads the pref files and uses it's settings. As soon as you quit it, it writes those same settings back into the pref file, erasing the changes you made in the text editor.

khalid
08-02-2003, 02:39 PM
I removed all of it, then I quit all applications, I got to Hub prefs, I drop the numbers ..................exact same problem, only some of the buttons work, the same exact ones !!!! should I re-install LW & do that Again??

Sorry guys, I feel really sorry that I keep on having this problem, but I have no support, you are the only support I have ,& thats because I am located Miles & Miles away from any Newtek support office+ there is no LW users in the area....

The reason that I really wanted to change the colors was because the bright gray background bothers my eyes when I am working for many hours & this Is the first time that I have ever touched the Prefs file, I am always worried that I might screw up something & LW will crash..
Thanks Again
:)

toby
08-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Doesn't the background change colors?

Which buttons are not changing colors? It could be that you cannot change everything.

khalid
08-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Toby, I' am A 100% sure that there is much more to be changed, because I have seen snap shots of LW layouts that had almost every thing colored + I only have two shades of gray on two types of button + gray fonts in some areas.
I wish I can send you a snap shot, but I don't know how to do that on the forum-!!
Are you a Mac user? Are you doing this on OSX? every thing works form the first time!? why am I having the same problem on 2 Macs? could it be that you are using a different LW version (I am using 7.5)?.....

toby
08-02-2003, 06:38 PM
yes, I'm on OSX - try this:

BackgroundColor 110 110 110
StateButtonColor 210 210 210
ToolButtonColor 180 180 180
ActionButtonColor 210 210 210
DialogButtonColor 210 210 210
DragButtonColor 150 150 150
InfoAreaColor 110 110 110
InfoAreaTextColor 0 0 0

and you should get this:
(at the bottom of the "reply" to the forum window, hit the button "choose file" then navigate to the image you want to upload, it must be a jpg or gif)

khalid
08-03-2003, 03:57 AM
Hi Toby,
It works more than the previous one,
but checkout the difference on My LW and yours!!.. basically the Background that I need the most is not working.....ahhhhh!

& thank for showing me how to up-load an Image:D

toby
08-03-2003, 04:16 AM
hmmm... that's no good!

the only thing I can think of is to double-check that "BackgroundColor" is spelled perfectly, that there are no extra characters or spaces in the line. Change it's color drastically to see if it's changing at all, like 110 110 60. Try putting the 'BackgroundColor' command in all the other pref files, and make sure there are no extra pref files on your system. If you have an old LW folder or more than one system folder, it may have pref files in it causing problems

toby
08-03-2003, 04:57 AM
Another thing I noticed is that there is a limit on how bright or dark you can make it. You can't make the background really dark or really bright.

khalid
08-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Toby thanks a lot, You are absolutely wright, I have dragged & dropped a miss spelled word in to my prefs, & as you said I think this is the limit to how dark it goes, unless there is another thing that I should do, Can you do me a favor and just go threw my list And check if I have any thing else miss check for any miss spelled or words that LW does not want to read it that way...
Thank Toby, U have been great!!
I ow you one:D

toby
08-03-2003, 01:17 PM
I think you've done all you can do. Time to dim the monitor!