PDA

View Full Version : The new Knight Rider...eehh.

shrox
09-18-2008, 09:31 PM
I just saw the first episode of the new Knoght Rider series. I was a B grade at best. Now KITT is a transforming Mustang/Tahoe truck/whatever. Very CG heavy to the point of "hey, look everybody! cool GC!". I liked the TransAm KITT better. At least the stunts were real, they would show a jump and landing just as the fenders and frame buckled, then cut to a fresh undamaged car driving away. Same with Dukes of Hazzard, they had to scour the US looking for Chargers. I wonder how many TransAms the original Knight Rider show trashed?

Iain
09-19-2008, 02:34 AM
Who the Hoff?

virtualcomposer
09-19-2008, 02:40 AM
It's all CG now? Why can't people use real objects if they can't get the CG looking nearly perfect?!?!?!

evolross
09-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I was looking forward to the premiere of Fringe too. I thought it was kind of average. After 35 minutes, I turned it off. It wasn't engaging enough.

virtualcomposer
09-19-2008, 08:47 AM
It's like computerizing Airwolf. It just wouldn't work. I'm all for CG but sometimes there's nothing like having the physical object there and the actors actually seeing objects around them AND the performances of those objects are more real.

Nangleator
09-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Airwolf needed CG so badly. It suffered from the original Battlestar Galactica problem. Make a pilot movie with lots of special effects, then use those special effects for every show of the series, and film no more at all.

Oh, I suppose the did film more stuff. They'd have the helicopter in the background, some baddies on a jeep in the foreground, and a pyro charge would go off. Then in post, they'd roto in an effect meant to represent a missile or rocket.

virtualcomposer
09-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Airwolf needed CG so badly. It suffered from the original Battlestar Galactica problem. Make a pilot movie with lots of special effects, then use those special effects for every show of the series, and film no more at all.

Oh, I suppose the did film more stuff. They'd have the helicopter in the background, some baddies on a jeep in the foreground, and a pyro charge would go off. Then in post, they'd roto in an effect meant to represent a missile or rocket.

LOL! You're right but I guess I've got those old school memories that make me feel better in these hard economic times. :D

hrgiger
09-19-2008, 10:02 AM
they want to really remake a show, they should redo the Greatest American Hero. Maybe have Jim Carey play the hero. With him and with the FX we have nowadays, that would be golden. I'd watch that.

Nangleator
09-19-2008, 10:15 AM
It was a good concept, not having the user manual. Heh. They went a little too far with the 'can barely fly' thing, and should have had more powers showing up at random, causing more problems than they solved. But the show had a good heart.

virtualcomposer
09-19-2008, 10:23 AM
It was a good concept, not having the user manual. Heh. They went a little too far with the 'can barely fly' thing, and should have had more powers showing up at random, causing more problems than they solved. But the show had a good heart.

Yeah, hindsight is always a better informer but I think they did a great job considering they were on a budget. It's also easier to see the flaws when you have the DVD on an HD screen. They could hide more stuff in those days. Airwolf will always be my favorite, BSG comes really close but Airwolf is the top. My wife and I are going to visit the reproduction Airwolf in the museum here in Tennessee. I cannot express how excited I am!:D:D:D

robewil
09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
I wonder how many TransAms the original Knight Rider show trashed?I remember taking the Universal Studios tour years ago and seeing a couple dozen black Trans Ams stowed away in a fenced in area.

m4a2000
09-19-2008, 11:38 AM
When is the playback of the first episode... I missed it due to watching Smallville...

adamredwoods
09-19-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't like the spoiler fin on the back of Kitt, but otherwise the show seems just as cheese-ball as the original, so I say "OK!".

steamthunk
09-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Man, I recently rewatched most of the original Airwolf episodes. Fun stuff. Also look for airwolf vs. blue thunder or other such topics on YouTube. :)

I hated the idea of those glow in the dark nerf rockets they launched even when I was a kid. Chain guns FTW.

virtualcomposer
09-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Man, I recently rewatched most of the original Airwolf episodes. Fun stuff. Also look for airwolf vs. blue thunder or other such topics on YouTube. :)

I hated the idea of those glow in the dark nerf rockets they launched even when I was a kid. Chain guns FTW.

Yeah, the rockets weren't very realistic but the beauty of the chopper and coolness of String and Dom kept it going for me. I used to act as cool as String when I was in grade school. Now I feel like an old man. LOL

shrox
09-19-2008, 12:12 PM
You can watch it on Hulu.com for free. I don't have cable, there is so many shows online now ans in really good quality. Hulu.com! They wave Airwolf and A-team, Highlander, Battlestar (both series) and more.

virtualcomposer
09-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Speaking of the A-team. I'd like to know with all those automatic machine guns firing spraying bullets everwhere, how come no one was ever killed? All four of them would spray bullets everywhere in all directions and the cops never caught them and noone was killed. LOL

shrox
09-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Speaking of the A-team. I'd like to know with all those automatic machine guns firing spraying bullets everwhere, how come no one was ever killed? All four of them would spray bullets everywhere in all directions and the cops never caught them and noone was killed. LOL

Too many movies and shows do that. To the point were it loses my interest. One reason I like the new Battlestar, characters get shot and some die. Of course, that makes one's job as an series actor less secure...

Nangleator
09-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Apparently all they had to do was make explosions near the bad guys, which would often tip the jeep over. Then, the bad guys would run away in fear and apparently reform their lives. Frankly, that's far harsher treatment than the slow-motion tossing around that the Hulk would inflict on the bad guys.

virtualcomposer
09-19-2008, 12:29 PM
One thing about Airwolf is that I always thought, instead of making a low budget 4th season in Canada, why not invest in a quality tv-movie when String finds his brother and all that other stuff. I think that would have been a great send off. Jan wasn't that drunk to make a tv movie. When I look at the 4th season now, the whole mood was changed and the camera seemed to be a cheap dvcam. I still like the 4th season because I have allot of memories but think an original cast Airwolf tv movie would have been better as a send off. Then I would have put the helicopter in a museum so that it wouldn't crash like in 1991.

Nangleator
09-19-2008, 12:57 PM
It crashed? Crap. I remember the plane I soloed in. Some dude left the wing up in a tree and the rest of it all dinged up.

But, I can see (http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N9654L.html) it's still flying.

virtualcomposer
09-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Yeah, Airwolf's mach parts were taken off and the Bell 222 was sold to a hospital rescue transport. It crashed in a bad storm in 1991 killing the pilot, a mother and her child. Very sad story.

CMT
09-22-2008, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't have even given the new Knight Rider a C. It was cool in some parts, but unbelievably predictable. I loved the original series. But I was a child then and and liked a lot of cheesy things. But this new Knight Rider is cheesier than the old.

they want to really remake a show, they should redo the Greatest American Hero. Maybe have Jim Carey play the hero. With him and with the FX we have nowadays, that would be golden. I'd watch that.

I'd have to agree with you totally on that. I loved the whole premise of that show.

I think Jim Carey's too big of a star now to do a TV series. Maybe if he ever hits a decline phase in his career he might.

virtualcomposer
09-22-2008, 12:00 PM
I really hate Kitt's voice in the new nightrider. It's like he stood in front of a mic and just talked. It doesn't even sound like he's in a car anymore.

steamthunk
09-22-2008, 12:19 PM
I still like the 4th season because I have allot of memories but think an original cast Airwolf tv movie would have been better as a send off.

You must really be a fan. The 4th season was unwatchable! 8/
Speaking of cheesy effects. Anyone else think that all gun shot and explosion sound effects were exactly the same across shows in the early 1980s?

Ah well, the Bell 222 has weathered times better than the Trans Am for sure.

hrgiger
09-22-2008, 12:23 PM
I think Jim Carey's too big of a star now to do a TV series. Maybe if he ever hits a decline phase in his career he might.

Maybe, I think it just depends on what's going on with his life. There's a lot of money in TV, I think he'd do just as well financially in TV as he would in movies. But then again, you would hope that an entertainer would do what's best for him creatively, not financially. Especially those who have already made their fortunes.

Nangleator
09-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Speaking of cheesy effects. Anyone else think that all gun shot and explosion sound effects were exactly the same across shows in the early 1980s?
I have a serious problem with audio editors from the 80s on back, and some gripes with today's audio editors.

Talk about lazy! They used the same punch, crash and gunshot sounds in every single program you could ever hope to watch. It's like they couldn't afford a portable set to go record a new sound... ever. Were budgets really that tight?

Nowadays, they have a running gag going on with the Wilhelm Scream (http://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net/wilhelm/). Enough already! It stopped being funny years ago, and now it mars every action picture. How about the godawful red tail hawk sound that's in 70% of everything produced, including science fiction, car commercials, kids shows, horror films... any excuse. Grrr!

shrox
09-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I didn't care for Airwolf either. Some old shows I liked I now get on NetFlix, and some aren't so good now...Lost in Space is an example.

virtualcomposer
09-22-2008, 01:34 PM
It's not the voice that's the problem in the new nightrider it's the fact that it doesn't sound like it's in a car. Whenever I need something to sound like it's in a particular room, plane or building, I use Altiverb for the sampled acoustics. I'm sure they have the money for a $600 program.