PDA

View Full Version : Stranged about certification in Mexico.

vampmaster
09-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Hello:

I was wondering if someone can help me with this NIGHTMARE for certification.

I approached what seems to be the only certification agency in mexico, and they told me that I could take an exam that costs about 400 to 500 dollars to get certified as user and trainer, BUT that nobody actually approved the exam.

I sounds EXPENSIVE since Microsoft cert cost me 115 usd / exam, and Adobe costs me about 120 /Exam.

Then they approached me and let me know that if I take a 4 / 20 hour module course at a cost of 1,200 dollars and deliver an animation, I would get certified inmediatelly as user and Instructor. No questions asked, and NO exam done.

It sounded weird, as I have never encountered a situation like that. I asked for the course map and gathered i had absolutelly no need for module 1 since it's basics. I could probably skip modules 2 and 3 also but decided just to go without 1, in case i can grasp something new.

They tell me then that if I skip module 1, I wont get certified even if I deliver all correctly.

I wonder why a company that best interest must be to have more certified users / instructors so that we can better promote the program has this situations that looks more like a way to make 300 easy dollars than to certify.

I guess my questions are:

1) does it really costs 400 to 500 dollars to take the cert exam?
2) Why if I know the module 1 content by hard, I have to take it anyways, and there is not a localization exam.
3) Howcome if I pay a 1,200 dollars course I don't need to take any exam to certify? isn't the course to prepare us for the exam?

thanks if anyone can tell me their experience with certification i will appreciate it..., also I would like to know if it's true NO ONE actually gets certified by exam... that sounds so weird.

BTW I'm certified with some companies, like cisco, Microsoft, and even some adobe, so it sounds just not right.

inquisitive
09-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Why do you need a certificate for Lightwave 3d? and why would you pay that much money (which im sure is quite a lot of pesos) if nobody recognizes it?

inquisitive
09-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Why do you need a certificate for Lightwave 3d? and why would you pay that much money (which im sure is quite a lot of pesos) if nobody recognizes it?

I did a search in google and came up with what may be the company you are talking about.. it reads that the department of education and training of Newtek recommends that the study plan of Lightwave 3d be utilized by all centers of training authorized by Newtek.

Does Newtek have such study plan? and do all the USA and abroad schools follow that same program? I have never heard of that but then I have never looked for this information.

jameswillmott
09-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Something smells fishy...

vampmaster
09-19-2008, 01:01 AM
I would like to certificate, cause I'm giving classes about the program. Hence I want to be a certified instructor... so imagine if I'm going to go through lightwave 101 to do that.

I guess I wanted to be able to know I have new-teks blessing to teach the software.

SplineGod
09-19-2008, 01:24 AM
You dont need anyones blessing to teach the software. Just know it well and be able to teach it well. :)

akademus
09-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Wouldn't a certificate from NewTek be sufficient anywhere in the world to be able/legal/whatever to teach their software.

I don't know how some agency from Mexico can certify you, unless they are certified from NT to do so.

Therefore, I believe it's best to get it directly from NT.

As Larry said, you don't need blessing. I use to teach Premiere at college without any certifications, aside from one from that college. However, different rules apply in different countries. Maybe you should double check what to you exactly need according to state law to be legal to teach.

vampmaster
09-19-2008, 01:37 AM
They are the Appointed school for Mexico. That is what bothers me... do you think newtek is aware of their "Teaching Strategies".

I don't really need to have the cert to teach. I do need it to get the software at instructors price... but I will figure out a way.

SplineGod
09-19-2008, 03:45 AM
Theress no law that says you have some kind of degree or certification to teach. Ive taught LW for many years.
If you want to *accredited* with the state theres a process to go thru for that but here its done on a state by state basis. Being accredited in one state is only good for that state.
Again theres no laws that say that someone has to have some sort of credentials to teach a subject. People teach all kinds of things all the time without it and even write books etc. If a person wants to teach at a state school or college then they have to have whatever credentials the state demands. If you teach at a private school then you have to meet whatever requirements they have. If you want to teach on your own then you can certainly do so.

Newtek may *certify* a place to teach like a dealer etc but this doesnt mean much legally. If you want the software at a cheaper price find a student and get it at the student price. Im sure you can find a way to get LW cheaper then going thru all that to get it. Try finding someone selling or giving away an older copy of LW that you can upgrade or crossgrade from another 3d app.

vampmaster
09-19-2008, 06:19 AM
I will definetely do that... thanks.