PDA

View Full Version : OT - Fink uninstall woes?

Johnny
08-01-2003, 02:54 PM
I had a 10 megaton bomb dropped on my system recently when I tried to free up some needed space on my boot volume...I decided that I didn't need gimp or its related software, and so proceeded to toss it, Fink, X-windows...

when I restarted, I got a grey screen with no spinning gear..never got a desktop.

I did a wipe and install, and was ok for a few reboots, then got the same grey screen and no desktop.

The apple crew say that Fink 'burrows' into the OS and makes some alterations to it such that you can't just delete it, but must do a lo-level reformate, write 0s to the disc..

Is this true? Could it be that FINK is not for everyone for this reason?

thanks for any pointers.

J

Beamtracer
08-05-2003, 05:33 AM
Hi Johnny, did you get your machine working properly again?

I know I posted the original thread notifiying everyone about FilmGimp / Cinepaint, but I really don't know what might be wrong with your system.

I always thought that if you erase your hard drive and reinstall the OS, then it can't be a software problem. Then again, I could be wrong. It doesn't seem logical that a new OS would scan the empty hard drive and "unerase" old components to use.

Even if you accidently tossed out some essential components to the OS doing an erase + reinstall of the OS should fix it.

Writing zeros and ones to your hard drive can fix other problems like bad blocks.

Johnny
08-05-2003, 06:35 AM
Hi, Beam..

My mac is now back in operation, but things were spooky for a moment, bcs after a wipe and install, I did about 6 reboots (after installing things) and got that Grey Screen/Grey Apple with no spinning 'gear' and no desktop.

Restarting with option held down, which allows you to cycle through bootable volumes and to 'go to' one or the other gave me that circle with the line thru it (like the no-smoking symbol sans cig).

So, that's when I really got worried and took it into Apple, who suspected hardware issues.

It's been 3 days since the return from the Apple store Genius crew, and things seem stable, but a couple of the Geniuses said that Fink makes modifications to the OS such that if you toss some of its components, the OS then looks for something it needs or thinks it needs, can't find, and has a conniption.

So, I guess the solutions for me might be: Install CinePaint and DON'T remove it (issues relating to free space on boot volume), or install it after an Aqua version becomes available...yet I hate to wait to learn such a powerhouse app, just as I start producing footage...

J