PDA

View Full Version : LWO LWS File Associations in Windows

DustinBrown
09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
I feel a little silly asking this, but what's up with the file associations for LightWave in Windows? With any other program, I install it and some magic happens behind that scenes that tells projectFile.xyz to open with software XYZ. That doesn't seem to be the case with LW. I even tried setting the file associations manually under explorer.exe>Tools>Folder Options>File Types. I see LWO and LWS in the list of registered file types, but neither Modeler nor Layout are in the list of programs to choose from for association. I can manually brows to modeler.exe and lightwav.exe, but when I do that my selection doesn't "stick." and it just chooses some other program for me to associate the file type with.

Anyone else have this problem?

I mean, I get why no one is in a rush to fix this. Most people don't double click on LWO or LWS file to open it. Most people open the program, set their content directory, then ctrl+o and select the file they want to open. I get it. But still...it's a little odd.

-Dustin

akademus
09-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I've noticed this. I usually go to Tools->Folder options->File Associations it Win Explorer and set this manually.

It's a bit annoying, luckily I don't have to reinstall win/lw to often.

Cheers

Surrealist.
09-18-2008, 12:41 PM
What version? I was getting this with I think 9.0 but it seems to be fixed with 9.3.1 I have not installed 9.5 yet.

akademus
09-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, you're right. I wasn't sure whether its a previous setup or LW set it up for me when I was installing 9.5... wicked

DustinBrown
09-18-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm on 9.5 here. I've been using LW since 8.5, and this has always been an issue for me. When I install a new version of LW, I always uninstall previous versions, even if it's just a point release. Perhaps that has something to do with it.