PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave semniar in houston?

Polymangler
08-01-2003, 02:06 PM
just wondering if anyone else was planning on going to the Lightwave seminar in houston next week?

I just got a call from Lee and he says i'm the only person that has actually paid for the seminar, several have signed up, but not paid. I was upset at this cause i was looking forward to meeting fellow wavers and such but now it's like it could possibly be just me.

is anyone on here planning on going?

if not i can look forward to a very personalized 2 day seminar :D

cheers

gjjackson
08-03-2003, 02:42 PM
What I'd like to know is what happened to the events prior to Siggraph. As for one who has already paid I can't get any answers to any emails about what's going on. I had to schedule vacation time to go and now since it's postoned to some unknown date it's looking more and more like I won't be able to attend. The only e-mail I got was telling me I would get some CD's, which I've yet to see. Look's like I just spent $200 for some CD's I'll never get and nothing else. If a company is going to cancel an event the least they could do is offer a refund. I'm not looking forward to resorting to contacting the BBB and the State's AG. etc.

rabid pitbull
08-04-2003, 07:59 AM
So you paid to go, and they cancelled your date and kept your money? Sounds like things are getteing worse. At least the people who went in the past actually got to go to the event, but had to wait and wait for the cd's. Now they just keep your money and promise cd's?

Newtek sponsors these events right? This and some of the recent marketing schemes are really making newtek look bad.:mad:

Polymangler
08-04-2003, 10:18 AM
damn that's lame dude. they should have offered your money back and the cd's. I takes alot of schedualing to juggle around a job and make it out to one of these events. Hopefully Lee or Lee will see this and try to make good on it. I've heard alot of good and bad things about the handling CD's and refunds....at least everyone agrees they are well worth it if you go and get the cd's. I'll reserve my opinions till after the seminar, but i hope that "some" of these negative things i've read arent' true.

keep wav'in guys ;)

3deeelite
08-04-2003, 11:33 AM
My training in Cincinnatti in early July was cancelled too. I never received any email notification regarding the cancellation. I went to the learn lightwave website to learn of the cancellation one day before the class was scheduled to take place. I was never offered the CDs either.

I also scheduled my vacation plans around this training event. Without any notification of when it will be rescheduled, how can I know if I can attend the rescheduled class?

I can appreciate the fact that Lee's plans were changed by having to help NewTek prepare for Siggraph, but why is it too much trouble to contact the people whose classes were cancelled? I sent Lee email requesting a refund and never received a response. He has records of everyone whose classes were cancelled, why not sent out a form letter to everyone who was affected?

Michael

rabid pitbull
08-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Sad that this thread is slipping off the page without any official word from newtek or the tour organizers. Seems like all that talk a week or so ago about changing the buisiness practices of the LW tours was just alot of talk.

:confused:

policarpo
08-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by rabid pitbull
Sad that this thread is slipping off the page without any official word from newtek or the tour organizers. Seems like all that talk a week or so ago about changing the buisiness practices of the LW tours was just alot of talk.

:confused:
i know that Lee is currently moving so don't expect him on the forums for a few days now. So don't take the silence as anything other than people being busy with other stuff they need to take care of.

Not to mention that the NewTek folks are probably dealing with the return to work on Monday after Siggraph...that is if they didn't give themselves a break for a day from all their great and hard work.

Oh hey, look at that...we're back up to the top.

If i see Lee online I'll mention this thread so he can get on it lickedy split.

Cheers,:D

Polymangler
08-04-2003, 08:58 PM
woohoo just made it into houston, can't wait to have my brain liquified tomarrow...i'll bring up this thread if i get a sec to talk to Lee

Baloney Pony
08-04-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by policarpo
i know that Lee is currently moving so don't expect him on the forums for a few days now. So don't take the silence as anything other than people being busy with other stuff they need to take care of.

Not to mention that the NewTek folks are probably dealing with the return to work on Monday after Siggraph...that is if they didn't give themselves a break for a day from all their great and hard work.

Oh hey, look at that...we're back up to the top.

If i see Lee online I'll mention this thread so he can get on it lickedy split.

Cheers,:D

Nice to see Lee has corrected his business practices...

gjjackson
08-05-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by 3deeelite
My training in Cincinnatti in early July was cancelled too. I never received any email notification regarding the cancellation. I went to the learn lightwave website to learn of the cancellation one day before the class was scheduled to take place. I was never offered the CDs either.

I also scheduled my vacation plans around this training event. Without any notification of when it will be rescheduled, how can I know if I can attend the rescheduled class?

I can appreciate the fact that Lee's plans were changed by having to help NewTek prepare for Siggraph, but why is it too much trouble to contact the people whose classes were cancelled? I sent Lee email requesting a refund and never received a response. He has records of everyone whose classes were cancelled, why not sent out a form letter to everyone who was affected?

Michael

Looks like I wasn't the only one. The location here wasn't determined so I kept checking back to find out where. And lo and behold about a week or two before it was suppose to happen it said all events before Siggraph were cancelled. I suspect if they reschedule it there won't be much notice. With everything that's going on here I STILL don't know if I'd be able to attend. We have Union problems here and if they walk I'll be working 12X6 and the way it stands their contract is on a day to day basis. So they could walk any day.
Unfortunately back in July I had plenty of free time I could take off. Just my luck though.

takkun
08-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Did anyone else see the thread that Remi started a week ago that got deleted? He was really, really pissed that a pre-siggraph seminar was cancelled and no one notified him of the cancellation, so he went to the event with some of his co-workers only to find out that Lee and Larry weren't there.

Baloney Pony
08-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by takkun
Did anyone else see the thread that Remi started a week ago that got deleted? He was really, really pissed that a pre-siggraph seminar was cancelled and no one notified him of the cancellation, so he went to the event with some of his co-workers only to find out that Lee and Larry weren't there.

That thread got deleted? That does not seem right. However, I cannot rememeber much of the thread, and perhaps it turned nasty and was removed.

SplineGod
08-06-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by takkun
It was cancelled (rescheduled). Everyone was informed via email and via the learnlightwave site. Remi apparently didnt get the message because someone else signed them up so it wasnt in his name or email addy (not sure of the exact details).
Its a good idea to leave contact information for events like that.
I had no idea it was cancelled either simply because I wasnt scheduled to do any teaching at the seminar. I dont have anything to do with scheduling or taking money. I only caught Remis first post and I attempted to contact him straightaway. The thread was deleted probably because it did get nasty. As far as I know Remi posted that thread before trying to contact anyone to have it straightened out.
I do know one thing that emails were sent out AND the notice was posted on the LearnLightwave site. Im not sure what else can be done beyond that. Apparently others are getting the email notices. I know that if your contact info is correct you will be informed. :)

rabid pitbull
08-06-2003, 07:54 AM
So will the money be returned to the people who have had there events cancelled? Some of the people who posted in this thread have been waiting for news on the event. What if the rescheduled date doesn't work for them, after all the timing DOES sometimes determine if the event is going to be possible. I tell you Larry this is not making people more interested in the tours, and your attitude that everything is ok if you send an email doesn't either.

Why were these tours cancelled in the first place?

SplineGod
08-06-2003, 09:41 AM
I dont have any idea who has signed up and who has paid/not paid etc. I do know that others have been informed and Im not sure why some havent been informed. I know from talking to Lee that he has made more then a reasonable attempt to let people know.
Im pretty certain ppl will be taken care of. I know that part of the reason the event was rescheduled was to include LW8 material in the seminars since the release of 8 isnt that far off. :)

rabid pitbull
08-06-2003, 09:56 AM
well that is familiar sounding...

why not just refund the money these people have paid? How can you not know who has paid? Ok someone else handles the money right? Why not ask them to refund the money, since they must know who has paid, and been denied.

Larry you are a awesome LW artist, and definitly know how to teach people. These little problems are really beginning to tarnish your image though. You as a affiliate, and apparent spokesman for the tours should get this resolved, just bad buisness. :rolleyes:

3deeelite
08-06-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
It was cancelled (rescheduled). Everyone was informed via email and via the learnlightwave site. Remi apparently didnt get the message because someone else signed them up so it wasnt in his name or email addy (not sure of the exact details).
Its a good idea to leave contact information for events like that.
I had no idea it was cancelled either simply because I wasnt scheduled to do any teaching at the seminar. I dont have anything to do with scheduling or taking money. I only caught Remis first post and I attempted to contact him straightaway. The thread was deleted probably because it did get nasty. As far as I know Remi posted that thread before trying to contact anyone to have it straightened out.
I do know one thing that emails were sent out AND the notice was posted on the LearnLightwave site. Im not sure what else can be done beyond that. Apparently others are getting the email notices. I know that if your contact info is correct you will be informed. :)

Larry, nobody is implying that you have any responsibility regarding these training sessions and their cancellation.

You state that you know that everyone was informed via email. If you have nothing to do with any of this, how could you know? I delayed changing my email account & email address for 2 months because I wanted to be sure that I received my notification regarding the location of my training in Cincinnati or the cancellation of such training. If you read everyone's email you will see that I am not the only one.

I sent email to Lee one week after my classes were cancelled requesting a refund. I was ready for Lightwave training in July & I wanted to use the refund to purchase training from you. I never received a response from Lee.

I understand the reasoning behind cancelling the July classes but I can not understand why there was not any email notification of their cancellation and no response to my request for a refund. I also can not understand why someone who says that they had nothing to do with the teaching, scheduling or taking money for these classes would claim to know that each and every email notification was sent. My contact info was current thru the month of July & I NEVER received an email, phone call or letter regarding the class cancellation.

Michael

gjjackson
08-07-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Polymangler
just wondering if anyone else was planning on going to the Lightwave seminar in houston next week?

I just got a call from Lee and he says i'm the only person that has actually paid for the seminar, several have signed up, but not paid. I was upset at this cause i was looking forward to meeting fellow wavers and such but now it's like it could possibly be just me.

is anyone on here planning on going?

if not i can look forward to a very personalized 2 day seminar :D

cheers

Just curious if the event was held and what we have to look forward to. I hope it will be worth the wait. I still don't know if the event will be here in KC and whether or not I can attend. My situation is still up in the air.

SplineGod
08-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Hey Rabid, thanks!
I understand what youre saying though. Lee is working on getting these issues ironed out and I try and help as best I can.
When Ive done those seminars I personally havent seen any of these problems. I do talk with Lee more or less on a regular basis and offer suggestions or offer to help in other ways (such as sending CDs). Its getting better. :)

3deelite,
Im glad you understand that I dont have anything to do with all that. Some other people do (or did) which is why I wanted to make that clear. I dont think this type of situation is that common. Literally hundreds of people take these seminars and sometimes a few people are bound to be the ones who are adversely effected. I think Lee is feeling pretty frustrated by this as well. If you need some help getting this resolved please drop me an email and Ill see what I can do to move it along a bit faster. :)

Polymangler
08-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by gjjackson
Just curious if the event was held and what we have to look forward to. I hope it will be worth the wait. I still don't know if the event will be here in KC and whether or not I can attend. My situation is still up in the air.

gjjackson- Yes the event went off without a hitch...well not exactly, the
time of the event was pushed back due to some car trouble Lee had, but i was well in formed of the delay as was everyone else that had paid for the seminar. After that unfortunate mishap things went smoothly and lost time was promtly made up and then some. While i was a lil dissapointed the seminar wasn't as advanced as i had hoped ( my expectations were pretty high) i still learned a butt load and i have about 5 pages of short hand notes to pour over and make sure i didn't forget/miss anything. The stuff i picked up will be huge time savers for me and from what i've seen of the Cd's (which i did recive at the seminar) they do cover things more in depth. Lee made very sure that topics we were concerned about got covered and did his best to answer all of them while making sure that beginners in the class were not lost. And vice versa if a beginner question came up he'd answer it wholly and throw in a few tid-bits for people who might have already known how to do that one thing. Like alot of other testimonials i give the seminars a thumbs up and will be going back next time it runs through

also another thing you have to think about when going to one of these things is the contacts that you make while you are there. There are not many places you can meet up with and talk to 'wavers. That in itself is awesome. so if you do go be sure to bring business cards.

everyone else- I did mention this thread to Lee and he pretty much echo'ed what splinegod is saying, the cancelations were posted on the site, people who [b]had[b] paid and provided their contact info were e-mailed and informed. I have to say that from my experiance he's done very well keeping me and the other people who did end up going informed on what's going on. For the other's trying to get refunded your money i'm sure that he's doing everything he can to get you taken care of.

that's all, had a great time and my expeiance with the seminars was nothing but good

edit:

Oh yeah splinegod, since your hear. I had a long-hair saslite/ spline guides question ( basically how to set it up and how to use them) for Lee and he told me to ask you about Gen's (www.cellshader.com) demo on hair and hair styles useing saslite. The one she apparently gave at siggraph.....i guess he was wanting me to see if you knew where a .mov of it was or a tut she might have made for it..thanks man...btw i'm really diggin the cd's you did for Lee

SplineGod
08-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Hey Poly, glad it went well for you.
Dont let Jen catch you spelling CEL as CELL. ;)
In a nut shell she creates a low rez hair "cage" runs MD on it and then creates a dump file that she reapplies to the hair guides. Basically the low rez hair cage acts as a lattice deformer for the hair guides and the dont have to have the same number of polygons. Ill see if I can dig up a more detailed explanation though Jen may have one on her website (celshader.com).
Glad you liked the CDs too. :)

Polymangler
08-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Hey Poly, glad it went well for you.
Dont let Jen catch you spelling CEL as CELL. ;)

hehe ooooops, thanks for the tip, don't wanna call the wrath of Jen on me ;)

In a nut shell she creates a low rez hair "cage" runs MD on it and then creates a dump file that she reapplies to the hair guides. Basically the low rez hair cage acts as a lattice deformer for the hair guides and the dont have to have the same number of polygons. Ill see if I can dig up a more detailed explanation though Jen may have one on her website (celshader.com).
Glad you liked the CDs too. :)

Gracious , i'll check out the site, i gave it a quick glance but didn't see anything that caught my eye

cheers