PDA

View Full Version : A question for former Carrara Users

Drakonsden
09-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I am new to the 3D world. My background is in CAD including 3D drawings. I am very interested in animation and as such I purchased Carrara 6.2 from Daz. I am now so frustrated and p*ss*d off that I am about to just give up on animation all together. Carrara has so many bugs that keep me from getting anything done. From complete lock ups to functions that just never finish. There are even features that are toted as being the next best thing that don't even work. Some functions only work for still shots.

I am looking to hear from former Carrara users that now use Lightwave and how they like it in comparison. I don't want to shell out another chunk of money just to be frustrated and get nothing of real merit done.:help:

safetyman
09-18-2008, 06:03 AM
Believe me -- Carrara can't hold Lightwave's jockstrap. I've used Carrara and while it's a nice program, it's in the minor leagues (along with Strata, Rhino, C4D, etc.) LW is used in production houses and major fx houses all around the world. Once you see how fast it is and how easy it is to learn, you won't be disappointed. Just watch the Discovery Channel show Dogfights (more info: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/profile_detail.php?recordID=62) and you'll see how unbelieveable it can be in the right hands.

safetyman
09-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Sorry if I offended -- I simply meant that those "other" 3D programs weren't used as extensively as say, Maya, XSI, 3DS Max, and Lightwave, at least as far as in animation (which is what the original question concerned). C4D is a very nice program and doesn't get the press it deserves, but you must admit -- it's not as pervasive as LW and is certainly not known for its animation capabilities. Didn't mean to throw anyone off.

Otterman
09-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Well lightwave isnt exactly a blast to learn.....its a huge mountain to climb and it'l be like your wrestling a huge slippery angry aligatar along the way.

That said-once you do get used to its jerkyness ul develop a love/hate relationship with The Wave...it is versatile enough to just about anything but it is by no means perfect!

Hand on heart-its totally worth the investment!

SonicMotion
09-19-2008, 12:02 PM
i'm unfortunately using carrara now for a project, only because i took over the project half way through and most everything was done in poser, which is waay worse than carrara. but i still hate carrara, lousy interface, horrific render times and scene saving and loading times.

LW is easily a million times better than carrara, but if you need poser support carrara does that much better.

Don't use poser or carrara unless you're forced too like i was. :(

Drakonsden
09-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all your replies. After spending 500+ dollars on Carrara and finding it rather lacking in features and functions I just didn't want to make the same mistake again. From what I have read through out this forum most people love Lightwave and don't have as many problems as people are having with Carrara. The Carrara forum on Daz is chock full of hate and discussed for the application and its development team. So many of the advertised features either don't work or don't work completely that everyone is complaining.

Sarford
09-19-2008, 03:53 PM
heh, you'll find enough hate here from time to time. Lightwave users can be a ... passionate bunch.

Lightwave is a capable program with some very nice strongpoints but it also has it's weaknesses (CA for instance), at least compared to the competition.

mccabejc
09-20-2008, 07:42 PM
I used LW for many, many years. Since the Amiga days.

Now I use Carrara almost exclusively. My only use of LW is an occasional jump into Modeler to make a prop.

Sorry, but I hate LW. It is, IMO, extremely poorly designed, with a fairly dreadful text-based user interface, and features that are kludged together with no overall plan.

When folks say that Carrara can't hold LW's jockstrap or some such nonsense, they typically follow it quickly with a statement such as "it's used in the industry". Well, folks, that doesn't make it good.

It depends on what you're trying to produce. For human character development and animation, LW is a joke. With Carrara, you can load in a pre-made, textured, pre-rigged human characters, modify them as much as you like so they look exactly like what you want, and start animating right away. To do the same with LW would take many months, and you'd have to start from scratch.

Granted, LW has some features that make it head and shoulders above Carrara for team usage. And if you want super-duper, hyper realistic renders, LW is your package.

But with Carrara you can start producing really good stuff real quick, and in my experience it is absolutely rock solid. There are problems, I'm told, with dynamic hair, and folks seem to complain a lot about bugs that used to exist in Carrara, but for me the present version of Carrara 6 Pro is an absolute blast to use. In contrast, LW has always been extremely painful to use.

The "stick up your nose at the pre-made content" crowd will always shun the Carrara and Poser-type applications with virtually no rationale, but those who see the universe of CGI tools as merely that will recognize the huge benefits of Carrara.

Drakonsden
09-21-2008, 06:39 AM
Veehoy - Thanks for letting me know I really appreciate it. Any savings I can get based on Carrara will actually make Carrara worth something to me.

mccabejc - I bought Carrara to model and animate my own mechanical and organic models. The modeler in Carrara is nothing compared to what Lightwave is showing. Besides the fact that the modeler is lacking much in features is is very glitchy. I have had many of the functions either mess up my work or lock up Carrara. It doesn't lock up the computer just Carrara, so I lose my work. I have reinstalled over and over and the same glitches persist with Carrara. I will give you that Carrara is great for premade content, but only if you buy it from Daz. I bought a few character mods from Renderocity and they will not work correctly no matter how much you mess with them. So I cannot agree with you that Carrara USED to have problems since the problems still are there.

SplineGod
10-03-2008, 03:53 AM
If anyones interested in a poser to LW pipeline you might want to check this out:
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1263/Poser_to_Lightwave_Demo_Pt1/
Youll need to register here first:
www.vfxcast.com