PDA

View Full Version : what is need to get S&H back in lw

mav3rick
09-17-2008, 06:20 PM
i am trying to figure out this one but i can't
is lw SDK still main problem for JOE to make s&h for lw or there is some other reason? is joe welcome on newtek territory or all that was just bad propaganda ended joe left lw ?

http://www.joealter.com/quicktime/pixar.mov

according to this S&H is spreading like virus and is very popular out there.

me personally have mailed and asked about S&H for lw but if more users ask maybe we will get some more interest by joe?

RedBull
09-17-2008, 06:44 PM
i am trying to figure out this one but i can't
is lw SDK still main problem for JOE to make s&h for lw or there is some other reason? is joe welcome on newtek territory or all that was just bad propaganda ended joe left lw ?

http://www.joealter.com/quicktime/pixar.mov

according to this S&H is spreading like virus and is very popular out there.

me personally have mailed and asked about S&H for lw but if more users ask maybe we will get some more interest by joe?

Joe's problems stemmed from the previous LW development team, not responding to his needs, bug fixes etc.... So maybe he's interested in doing some now that the development team is at Luxology. Regardless With Sasquatch and FiberFX, Joe has a lot more competition in LW, than the others. It's a question best given to Joe.

I personally liked S&H it had good instancing, but these days i find it's render quality is sub-par compared to Sas/FFX. I have used the Max and XSI versions And even C4D's new hair tools make S&H look a little dated these days.

hrgiger
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Not 100% sure but there seemed to be some bad blood between Joe and Newtek back in the day. Not sure if Joe would ever consider looking back or not or what may or may not have changed since then. It's too bad because the biggest victims of such a fall out are inevitably the customers, that would be us. I used to own Shave and a haircut for Lightwave but traded it up for Sasquatch which was, IMO, better at the time. Not so much true anymore. At this point, I think you'd have better luck bugging Worley to get a Sasquatch 2. Not liking FiberFX yet? Maybe they've still got some work to do on that too.

pauland
09-17-2008, 07:05 PM
If I remember correctly Joe took exception to the deal that Newtek did bringing Sasquatch lite to lightwave. His departure was pretty sudden and I doubt he has much love for Newtek. I can't see that situation changing, particularly with Fibre Factory now in tow..

Castius
09-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Joe has a bad history where ever he goes. He does not work well with other. He developers everything inside his own world and keeps everything black boxed. Making any real work with his tools impossible. Softimage had a very hard time working with the hair system they paid him to incorporate into XSI. Then he just moved on to making S&H for Maya and left those problems behind. I have no interest in seeing his work return to LW.

SplineGod
09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
I think Fiberfx, once some bugs get fixed, is going to be pretty nice.

blacksmith
09-18-2008, 01:34 AM
Two things I didn't get is why this movie is called Pixar and when did Fuel moved to New Zealand?

mav3rick
09-18-2008, 01:59 AM
ok guys thanks for response... now i get more clear picture of joe and lw.... today he answered me on mail and answer was far from professional but again ....

anyway FFX seems fine but as splinegod said it need to become stable and i hope more optimized.
on sasq2 well worley seems like lips sealed after i mailed him about it months ago i didnt get any answer at all regarding sasq2.
so looking it now we have only one solution on market that is supported and developed and that is FFX.

hrgiger
09-18-2008, 05:38 AM
ok guys thanks for response... now i get more clear picture of joe and lw.... today he answered me on mail and answer was far from professional but again ....

anyway FFX seems fine but as splinegod said it need to become stable and i hope more optimized.
on sasq2 well worley seems like lips sealed after i mailed him about it months ago i didnt get any answer at all regarding sasq2.
so looking it now we have only one solution on market that is supported and developed and that is FFX.

Can you save us all the trouble of email Joe to find out what he had to say and post his response here?
And yeah, I have emailed Worley more then a couple of times about Sas2 with no response. It's a shame he can't at least confirm or deny that a sas2 is even being worked on, because I don't know why anyone would invest in it at this point. I mean, I still think it's a great plug-in, but I guess the hope was always that he would be able to address it's limitations in a future update.

mav3rick
09-18-2008, 09:44 AM
i asked him is there any chance to get s&h back on lw and that i know he get this kind of question very often.
here is answer

I don't get alot of them, but I do get them once in a while.
Thanks for the interest -

joe

from my point of email this is far from corect answer.. he could say anythin but thanks for interest... i would be more glad if he said no
further development is planed or no plans for it in near future but maybe if we get enough of market interest.

same goes to worley i asked him also and no answer ..... comparing to fprime question i got instant answer few months before....
have no idea is that CURSE word or whatever ?
meh seems like no 3rd pary hair solution on horizon under development anymore

mav3rick
09-18-2008, 09:50 AM
i am not telling that FFX is not good i just feel is slow compared to sasq but than again i am not programmer and i dont know how much it can be faster...... i just hope it will become.... also sasq had internal dynamic for short hair and that was nice... i would like some1 to write diry dynamic for ffx just like worley did....

hrgiger
09-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes, the dynamics with Sas are great and the fact that you don't have to calculate them is even better. Rendering speed with Sas is also top shelf. If he could just open it up to all light types and take it beyond being a pixel filter, it would rule supreme.

mav3rick
09-18-2008, 12:15 PM
yea and a bit of layout prewiev of fibers like ffx does would be nice.. also internal dynamic interaction to objects would be nice