PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#6

Iain
09-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge#6
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Plant Life

Anything that resembles plant life I suppose!

Time limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 24th September 2008

Hopper
09-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Does a big fat doobie count? :D

Hey, at least it's something I could probably model without getting pissed off and smashing another mouse to bits (I'm on 4 this year).

hrgiger
09-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Does a big fat doobie count? :D

Hey, at least it's something I could probably model without getting pissed off and smashing another mouse to bits (I'm on 4 this year).

Maybe you should just smoke one instead. It might chill you out some and prolong the life of your mice.

Hopper
09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Maybe you should just smoke one instead. It might chill you out some and prolong the life of your mice.
Hah! No... because then I'd get 5 minutes into it, then 60 minutes would be over. That, and I think I'm out of Fritos.

JeffrySG
09-17-2008, 10:20 PM
This will be an interesting one! I'm curious to see what people end up doing.
:)

Hopper
09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
This will be an interesting one! I'm curious to see what people end up doing.
:)
Plants, I'll bet. :screwy:

RollerJesus
09-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Fritos...

JeffrySG
09-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Plants, I'll bet. :screwy:

:lol:
...exactly... That's as wide as saying animals... ;)
Only a few hundred million possibilities to choose from.

Nangleator
09-18-2008, 06:51 AM
From fantasy and science fiction... and the much more bizarre world of real plants... There are just too many choices!

I won't be tackling an ent, but I still have ideas. I'm in this week!

Iain
09-18-2008, 02:37 PM
While you fools were jibber jabbering, I was modelling.

How dare you say the cactus is an easy plant to do! I actually thought it would be but little did I know.

Modelling-50 minutes.

Lighting/texturing-another matter!

Nangleator
09-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Wow. What a prick...

...you could get from touching that!

art
09-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Iain, you beat me to it (the cactus). All your renders have that nice quality to them. I wish I could be that good at texturing/lighting one day.

Shuggs
09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm going to start getting involved with these. I'm at work (fortunately I work in the animation lab), so I'm going to knock one of these out!

JeffrySG
09-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Crap that looks nice Iain! ok... enough talk... I'll be starting mine tomorrow!

Nangleator
09-18-2008, 10:31 PM
First attempt. 35 minutes of modeling. Not very happy with the leaves and the thickness of the 'bell' of the flower. I spent little time on surfacing or lighting, and none on any background.

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Callalily.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/CallalilyWires.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/CallalilyClose.jpg

hrgiger
09-19-2008, 12:01 AM
A little bonsai tree. 55 minutes modeling and spent the last 5 minutes making the backdrop and positioning it like I wanted. It involved a lot of copying and pasting, I think there's about 85,000 polygons, mostly the needles. I didn't have time to really fill it out too much or add more branches like I wanted. All the leaf branches are pretty much the same clumps over and over, I just stretch a few out to vary them a little.

Iain
09-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Iain, you beat me to it (the cactus). All your renders have that nice quality to them. I wish I could be that good at texturing/lighting one day.

Thanks Art!
There's not much to the lighting to be honest.
A Linear light at either side with an HDRI for GI fill.

FPrime adds a photographic edge to the simplest of renders with it's built in grain generator, especially with DOF enabled. Lets you get away with a lot :D

Nice work Nangleator and hrgiger. Organic modelling is a strange beast!

Iain
09-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Another quickie-just the flower itself.

30 minutes modelling.

flakester
09-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Woohooo!

Finally found a couple of hours free this afternoon to get something done for the latest challenge.

Glass flower - about forty minutes for the modeling, and creeping up on two hours for the layout, materials/textures, lighting and rendering. And of course, about ten minutes in AFX for a quick grade.

Great entries so far, loving that bonsai, HR. :thumbsup:

flakester.

JeffrySG
09-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Here are some Mushroom / Fungi!

I was trying to add some grass with fiberfx but it was taking forever to render so I just canceled it. I need to fool with FFX a bit more to figure out all of those settings. The shrooms are all textured with procedurals and some weight maps. I spent about 50min on the mushrooms themselves and the rest of the time on the pot. I'm getting a weird light area where the dirt meets the pot, not sure if that is from some light bleed or due to the displacement....

art
09-19-2008, 01:43 PM
ĦAy, caramba! Mushroom was my 2nd choice. I'm too slow and I have too little time :)
I'll try to do it anyway.

The mushroom reminds me of Cantharellus Cibarius (The Chanterelle). Yummy. I had some this summer after a long long time.

JeffrySG
09-19-2008, 02:13 PM
^ahh.. there are so many different types of mushrooms around we could stand to have some more! :)

Mark The Great
09-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Mushrooms aren't plants, are they? There's fungi, right? I'm working on mine. I have 45 minutes left, and things are looking grim.

JeffrySG
09-19-2008, 08:50 PM
^Fungi used to be in the plant kingdom but now they are in their own kingdom. But they were pretty cool looking! ;)

Traveler
09-20-2008, 06:29 AM
I realize it's not completely fair as most of the hard work is done for me, but I recently bought TreeDesigner and I figured I could use the extra practise. :)

cagey5
09-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Thought I'd throw my hat in the cactus ring.

Not my entry for this week, just felt tempted to have a play with fibres.

I'll see what else I can come up with.

Nangleator
09-20-2008, 05:32 PM
My second entry this week, the Magic Bevel Tree!

52 minutes modeling. Way too much time surfacing and rendering. I tried FiberFX for grass. I should have tried using the modeler. That would have worked. I even got desperate and tried SasLite before giving up and doing a lame desert look.

I did the tree first and then built the terrain to match. Mistake. It would have been easier and better to draw out those roots and bend them to existing terrain.

I really didn't do well with my surfacing, entirely out of laziness.

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Tree.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/TreeWires.jpg

art
09-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Another cactus.

Oedo 808
09-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Nice work from all as usual, I'd like to take part in this one but my PC has gone to the great scrapheap in the sky. Joy, joy, joy.

Iain
09-21-2008, 09:23 AM
That's a great cactus, Art.

The texture is very close.

TripD
09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Here is an attempt. This fella only took me 59 mins traveling @ 72% of the speed of light. So here on earth it took me.... uhhhh... ..... ah forget it! No fancy render cause I spent too long just peddling petals.

There are some very nice efforts again.

art
09-22-2008, 12:54 PM
That's a great cactus, Art.

The texture is very close.

Thanks Iain. I like my cactus too, but I still like your texturing better :)

Shuggs
09-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I went over the time by 5 minutes. I tried modeling a Pitcher Plant. Hopefully the next one I'll be able to model a lot quicker. :)

art
09-22-2008, 11:07 PM
I found a cute mushroom photo on the internet and my model is based on it. It took me approx. 65 minutes, at least 20 of which was tweaking little details. Wires only. Hopefully I'll get some time to texture it tomorrow.

colkai
09-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Love some of the models, some very cool stuff, as usual. :)

JeffrySG
09-23-2008, 07:06 AM
I found a cute mushroom photo on the internet and my model is based on it. It took me approx. 65 minutes, at least 20 of which was tweaking little details. Wires only. Hopefully I'll get some time to texture it tomorrow.

I like those mushrooms! I think the texturing can be pretty fun on them. I'm sure they'll come out great when you render!

BlueApple
09-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Great entries all, especially the cacti and fungi.

Banged this out in 45 minutes. Real quicky job on the texturing. There are some ridges that I may massage out later, as I still have 15 minutes to work on this :)

IgnusFast
09-23-2008, 08:45 PM
55 minutes to model, about an hour to try to surface - those UVs are more pesky than I thought, and these are really simple! :)

I removed the image on the walls, since it almost doubled the size of the archive. Just ignore the error if you load the scene.

I was hoping to use SSS, but I couldn't get it to work out the way I wanted. If someone is brave they're more than welcome to try....

Stunt Pixels
09-23-2008, 09:24 PM
This isn't an entry (cause there's bugger all modelling). I was just stuffing around with FibreFX and thought this was pretty. The modeling was ridiculously easy. FibreFX is fun to play with! About 5 minutes to model, another 10 to setup, surface, and render.

http://www.swoon.com.au/frank/GoatsBeard.png

Hopper
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
This isn't an entry (cause there's bugger all modelling). I was just stuffing around with FibreFX and thought this was pretty. The modeling was ridiculously easy. FibreFX is fun to play with! About 5 minutes to model, another 10 to setup, surface, and render.
That's fantastic! One of the few photorealistic FFX renders I've seen. Make the stem a bit thicker with a basic texture on it and you'd never be able to tell the difference.

I'll give you a 10 for ingenuity! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

flakester
09-24-2008, 02:19 AM
~That's fantastic! I'll give you a 10 for ingenuity! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:agree:
ORSM job.

flakester.

colkai
09-24-2008, 03:16 AM
Amazing - as Hopper says, a little bit of work and it'd be just about perfect!

Stunt Pixels
09-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Thanks guys, but don't be fooled - it was really simple. I'm trying to see if I can post the object here so you can see just how easy it was...

Iain
09-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Nice stuff guys.

Love the dandelion, Stunt Pixels!

geothefaust
09-24-2008, 04:14 PM
I just wanted to say, great work everyone. These have truly been inspiring. :thumbsup:

I really wanted to enter the last two, but I've been spending a lot of time on a project that I had to finish up. Maybe next one though. :)

art
09-24-2008, 07:55 PM
I did some texturing on the mushrooms.

Hopper
09-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I really wanted to enter the last two, but I've been spending a lot of time on a project that I had to finish up. Maybe next one though. :)
:dito: :(

It blows being able to see these at work, but get home too late to have a little fun. I haven't been able to work on my other projects either. But hopefully this next week will bring a little fun time.

Let's do something completely spastic this time... like Nurnies and Greebles! Just how many non-sensicle random mechanical "parts" can you make in an hour! lol

TripD
09-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Sigh.... I can't even warm up modeler in an hour, but the greeble idea could be a hoot! :agree:

colkai
09-25-2008, 02:20 AM
Sigh.... I can't even warm up modeler in an hour, but the greeble idea could be a hoot! :agree:

You'd be surprised, I certainly advocate doing the same model a couple of times, even using different ways. It's amazing once you start to hard-wire the commands in your mind how much more you can focus on the actual model itself instead of thinking about how to do it. :)

Iain
09-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm going to give this one to TripD for his rose.

It's hard to disregard the renders and backgrounds sometimes but this stands out to me as a model.

BlueApple
09-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Well done TripD, that is an excellent rose. And good work to everyone else.

TripD
09-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh... Sh*t! Thanks. uh... I should have been more clear that I didn't get it done in under an hour. But I will gladly sneak off with the honor any ways! :devil:

Looking back at my post, it definately wasn't clear. My bad.

Oedo 808
09-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Oh... Sh*t! Thanks. uh... I should have been more clear that I didn't get it done in under an hour. But I will gladly sneak off with the honor any ways! :devil:

Looking back at my post, it definately wasn't clear. My bad.

Lmao! Ahh well, you may get disqualified, but at least reading this has cheered me up at the end of the day. :D

Nice work though, even going over the limit. :thumbsup:

colkai
09-28-2008, 05:19 AM
Indeed, a very nice model :)

TripD
09-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Anyone having any luck with the next challenge? I kind of like my (secret) idea. On my 3rd try to get the time down, but I find doing architectual stuff is more involved than I would have imagined. All those darn details!