PDA

View Full Version : auto animate synced with audio

Ramon
09-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I have seen plugins in the past (may have be for AE) that would animate object(s) automatically to react in sync with the import .wave file (or whatever sound file). I can't find it now. I'm I right? Is there a way to automate this in LW? If so can someone elaborate? Example; you have a lot of boxes that you want to automatically animate (say only on the Y axis) driven strickly by the imported audio file (in this case music).
Thanks in advance,
Ramon

walfridson
09-17-2008, 11:40 AM
For AE maybe you're thinking about sound keys from trapcode?

Anyway:
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=969

steve0077
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Theres a modifier in the graph editor for audio files to modulate channels in LW.

Ramon
09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
To: Walfridson
Thanks that's what it was trapcode for AE but of course, I wanted something like that that could work in 3D and thus - To Steve: Thanks man. I didn't know about that.do you know which modifer it is?

Thanks guys!

Ramon
09-17-2008, 03:56 PM
If it's located in the graph editor, I wonder how well that will work because I need the effect to be on a lot of objects that react independantly. If it is in the GE, then that is per object and would I have to go into the GE of all the object (like 30- 40 of them) and apply that effect. Even if I did that, I would assume they would all go up and down at the as time and speed. I haven't seen the GE modifer so I don't know whether or not you can target different tones to react to (example: target treble / midrange / bass.) targeting something like how an equalizer does, now something like that would be very useful and make the animation really come alive!

steve0077
09-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Its the audio channel modifier under the modifiers tab. Just select the channel you want to control add the audio modifier, double click on it and a panel will come up to select your audio file and some control settings.

steve0077
09-17-2008, 04:41 PM
You can also use it on your surface settings with an envelope for luminosity, spec.,etc. Good for robot light voices or disco lights.

Ramon
09-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Hey Steve, thanks a lot man! I'll check it out. Modeling is my "gig" but every once in awhile, I get into animation though not versed enough to know where all the modifiers are and what each do so thanks again.:thumbsup:

Orimar
09-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Ramon:

William Vaughan has a video tutorial on how to use the "audio channel modifier." He uses a wav. file to drive a lens flair for a muzzle flash effect in the tutorial, but, the modifier can be used on any channel. You can find it here:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/muzzle.mov

Or, go to the "LW - General Techniques, Tips & Tricks" thread and look under Layout > Animating Cameras and Lights > "Animating a Muzzle Flash synced to an audio file."

.o.

Ramon
09-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks man! Great video! :) I wish we could focus on just certain pitches -ie:treble bass midranges etc.

Thanks for the link!

Orimar
09-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Glad to help.

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to focus on those ranges right within LW. However, if you have audio editing software you could run low-cut, high-cut or notch filters on the audio to isolate those frequencies and use an EQ to enhance them.

.O.

Ramon
09-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Yep, that could be a work around. By the way do y'all know of a free sound editor for the PC? When I was on the Mac I used Sound Edit 16 which was not free but, it was a great (little but powerful) sound editing program.

Thanks

Orimar
09-19-2008, 06:39 PM
GoldWave has always been one of the best free recording and editing software programs that I have found. GoldWave 5.23 has the filters we discussed and is available through cnet at:

http://www.download.com/GoldWave/3000-2170_4-10001099.html?tag=mncol;pop&cdlPid=10804034

Since I haven't used it in many years, I just downloaded and installed it to try it out before recommending it and it looks better then I remember.

Hope it works for you.

.O.

Orimar
09-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Just noticed, GoldWave is not free anymore, but free to try with a limitation of 2000 commands. That's probably enough to give it a good test run. If you want to by it, it's $45.00.

Sorry I didn't catch that sooner.

.O.

Ramon
09-20-2008, 12:28 AM
That's very kind of you! I very much appreciate the info. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks again for all the help!:)

Meshbuilder
09-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Be glad you not work on mac anymore because "audio channel modifier" in graph editorn on Mac have not been working since 2003 or something.. It's sad when it's a great feature and works very well on windows. :(

Ramon
09-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah Meshbuilder, actually that's just one of the reasons I switched to a PC. I love the Mac's OS (and back then I was using pre OSX versions) and loved it but, unfortunately, lack of full support etc (you know the story). Sad.

Meshbuilder
09-20-2008, 05:04 PM
However things are getting better. Chilton is doing a great job with the mac version of LightWave. But it's sad you have to reboot into windows to use some specific feature that doesn't work on mac (like the audio channel modifier). I have fogged it so maybe it will be fixed before the release of 9.5.1.