PDA

View Full Version : higher than 8 bit processing in image baker?

aSkeptic
09-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Hello all,

I am using Lightwave 8.5's image baker and procedural textures to create spherical displacement maps for an asteroid field that I am working on. I've got it down pretty well except for one crucial problem I am having. Although image baker supports floating point image formats such as cineon, it doesn't apparently put floating point data in the images it saves. So all my asteroids have an unwanted terraced appearance. I think the problem is with baker because procedural textures deform objects perfectly smooth when applied directly. I would use them directly if they worked on all 3 axis at the same time, or worked in the direction of a polygon's normal.

I used Photoshop to create a 16 bit image to see if I still got a terraced object and I didn't so at least that works.

Has anyone else had a problem with image baker's bit depth precision? Is there a work around? Has this been addressed in newer versions of Lightwave?

Thanks in advance,

-Scott

Lightwolf
09-17-2008, 08:34 AM
LightWave 9.x includes a baking Camera which, just like the other cameras, supports the full 32-bit float rendering pipeline.

Cheers,
Mike

serge
09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
...I would use them directly if they worked on all 3 axis at the same time, or worked in the direction of a polygon's normal...
Lightwave 8 has a Normal Displacement plugin, so you should be able to do that.

aSkeptic
09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Thank you so much Lightwolf, and serge! I think I may have this solved.

aSkeptic
09-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Any way I got my problem solved. The normal mapping displacment plugin sounded like an ideal solution however it crashed my lightwave no matter what I tried. I'd upgrade to lightwave 9 if I could justify it, but its good to know that the problem has been addressed. My solution wasn't ideal but it does work, it might be of use to others. Basically all I did was convert the image to 16 bit grayscale and give it a gausian blur of about 20 pixels and reduce the size of the image by half and saved it as a tiff file. All the stair steps went away.:thumbsup:

serge
09-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Next time you want to use normal displacement use the Lynx plugin (http://lynx.aspect-design.de/plugins/normal_displace_info.htm). It's supposed to be better than LW's own Normal Displacement plugin.

aSkeptic
10-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Next time you want to use normal displacement use the Lynx plugin (http://lynx.aspect-design.de/plugins/normal_displace_info.htm). It's supposed to be better than LW's own Normal Displacement plugin.

Thanks a lot serge!