PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to Ogre3d converter

ZWF_BES
09-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Hello,

there is a plug-in for Layout that converts LW meshes for the Ogre3d engine.

It works quite well, but the author does not support it anymore.

The source is opened so anyone could continue with it.

The plug-in is the key to be able to use Lightwave in combination with the Ogre engine.

More about it can be found here:

Thread at Ogre3d (http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17219)

Btw. Lightwave is the only big package that is not well represented on the page of that project. When i asked them why, they answered that they could not support the plugin and only supported stuff will be hosted.

Deep Purple
10-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Hello,

there is a plug-in for Layout that converts LW meshes for the Ogre3d engine.

It works quite well, but the author does not support it anymore.

The source is opened so anyone could continue with it.

The plug-in is the key to be able to use Lightwave in combination with the Ogre engine.

More about it can be found here:

Thread at Ogre3d (http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17219)

Btw. Lightwave is the only big package that is not well represented on the page of that project. When i asked them why, they answered that they could not support the plugin and only supported stuff will be hosted.

The best strategy would be to put the source code into a SourceForge project, then the Ogre team could host the plugin on their "Tools" section.
Currently the links for download are provided by people posting into the "Lightwave to Ogre" thread, download is very slow (about 1kb/sec).

With regards to licensing the author reserves all copyright for him self,
open source does not mean free ;-)
That would be another problem, he should put the source code under LGPL, like Ogre itself.

- DavidF

ZWF_BES
11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Hello,

thanks for your reply. I am not in contact with the author atm., but i will try to contact him.

Now that you mentioned it, i feel like i should have done that at first.:confused: