PDA

View Full Version : FFX in other packages

OOZZEE
09-16-2008, 10:41 PM
hi, has anyone tried to export and render in another package successfully?

jin choung
09-16-2008, 11:09 PM
i don't imagine this is possible in any non-trivial sense.

lots of effects are stuck in the app of origination.

fur/hair seems to be one of them.

jin

jameswillmott
09-16-2008, 11:33 PM
You could export geometry from the fiber modeler, but I don't think that's quite what the OP was after... (but you never know...)

OOZZEE
09-17-2008, 06:57 AM
I exported as OBJ from modeler and tried to render it in MODO.

I see the fibers in Modo, can select them and manipulate however cannot render them.

silviotoledo
09-19-2008, 11:29 AM
We can export fiber from Max as guides to render on lightwave. Have not tried the oposite way!

hrgiger
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I tried exporting the fibers an an .obj file and importing into XSI but nothing showed up. I added a cube, resaved as an .obj and tried again. The cube showed up but still no fibers. Not sure if XSI even uses 2 point polgons honestly.

Greenlaw
09-19-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm not 100% certain of this but I think rendering two-point polys is uniquely a LightWave thing. Technically, two-point polygons are illegal objects since they don't have normals, and I don't believe Maya or XSI support rendering them.

I am a little surprised to hear that you couldn't get Modo to render them considering Modo's roots, but I haven't tried this myself. I know very little about Max so I can't comment on that.

If you really want to render polygonal 'hair' in other packages, you could give the strands faces using the FFX Strands Modeler. An alternative would be to convert the two-point polys into curves native to the package you want to use them in and then use them, and them maybe use them as guides in those other packages. Sorry I can't offer any useful info about this since we only render out of LightWave here.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

DRG

jin choung
09-19-2008, 02:07 PM
yah, the only other app that supports anything like 2pt polys is blender's free standing edges.

jin