PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL going away?

-FP-
09-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Does this article mean Lightwave may soon use DirectX for its interface rather than OpenGL?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opengl-directx,2019.html

BeeVee
09-16-2008, 08:54 AM
No, because Direct X doesn't exist on any other platform.

B

cresshead
09-16-2008, 10:10 AM
yup direct x is tied to the windows platform so for linux or osx you'll have to use either open gl/quartz or software acceleration like that of zbrush or like the heidi software acceleration for 3dsmax...also note that 3dcoat is going for sculpting via voxels..

hrgiger
09-16-2008, 10:18 AM
No, because Direct X doesn't exist on any other platform.

B

Is that a problem?:D

warmiak
09-16-2008, 10:18 AM
People are just dissapointed with the latest OpenGL spec ... so you are going to see a lot of bitching.

In any case, how many games actually do support OpenGL ?

We are talking here less than 1% so in this regard, the contest was lost/won years ago.

adamredwoods
09-16-2008, 10:35 AM
WIndows Xbox games, yes, DirectX is the way to go.

But as soon as you need desktop cross-platform support, OpenGl is there. Adobe's new CS4 is leveraging 3D.... how do you think they'll do it, DirectX or OpenGL?

zapper1998
09-16-2008, 11:01 AM
bummer

lardbros
09-16-2008, 11:08 AM
But doesn't mudbox use opengl?? They have realtime ambient occlusion... hdri lighting, and some nice amount of polys being pushed around... i don't really see what the big deal is!?

cresshead
09-16-2008, 03:46 PM
well mudbox is on windows so it maybe direct x not open gl

Tobian
09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Actually I followed it to this -> http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/gpu-sweeney-interview.ars

which is pretty interesting stuff. It's likely DirectX is also going to disappear, so it was a short and somewhat hollow victory :D

While interesting, until Microsoft plays with all the other children in the playground nicely, OGL will be around for the foreseeable future on all the other platforms! Any software which supports more than windows is going to have a huge problem if it exclusively uses DirectX

RedBull
09-16-2008, 06:10 PM
It's stupid to keep supporting OGL, i love it personally, and it's cross platform ability is great... But when Nvidia deliberately hamper OGL performance on Geforce Videocards, but MS gets to continue at full speed with DX, than it will come a time when DX is just better for anyone on Windows.

With Nvidia and Ati and Microsoft at the helm, and the recently failed exercises by Kronos group and OGL3, than i don't see OGL as good as it was 5 years back. Looking at 3DC it's obvious DX is faster on standard Nvidia equipment, not to mention looks better too. As are products like DeepExportation, which show DX as much faster compared to OGL.

PS. Mudbox is OGL based.

lardbros
09-17-2008, 01:27 AM
If nvidia purposefully do this then people will move over to macs and using ATI cards for opengl apps. There will be no other choice, and as far as i can see it macs are forever growing in popularity. The iphone and ipods have shown the world how easy they are to use and how slick the interface is. I've always been a pc man myself, but am seriously considering moving over! So directx or no directx i couldn't care less!

lardbros
09-17-2008, 11:00 AM
ATI for OpenGL apps? ROFL. Don't think the grass is greener.

I agree, i wasn't saying ATI cards do a better job... BUT if nvidia would purposefully make cards that run slow openGL, then this is what people would buy. (Im guessing, and only going on my own opinion)

warmiak
09-17-2008, 11:05 PM
ATI for OpenGL apps? ROFL. Don't think the grass is greener.

I couldn't care less about cross platform compatibility. Let the best tech win, which it will eventually. Be it OpenGL or something else entirely.

I read an interesting interview with Tim Sweeney the other day (big shot UE 3D engine programmer). He sees APIs like OpenGL and DirectX both losing over time as the market shifts towards running multipurpose C-like code on the GPU instead of fixed code tied to an API. Basically graphics programming like regular application programming and not tied to any inherently limiting API.

So don't worry too much about either OpenGL or DirectX, they might both not have a lot of years left in them.

I am not so convinced.

There are reasons why something like 8800 GTX can outperform a typical intel CPU by an order of magnitude when it comes to 3d ... and it is not because they have superior engineers but for the same reason an algorithm tailored for a specific situation can often run circles around a generic implementation.

Stooch
09-17-2008, 11:59 PM
what does it matter, lw uses neither.

manholoz
09-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Stooch, what happened to your baldy cat avatar!!!????

hrgiger
09-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Stooch, I was trying to tie the significance of OpenGL and the sun burning out but in the end I decided you were in the wrong thread.