PDA

View Full Version : Can We Stop Lightwave Changing the Vertex Order ?

pumeco
09-16-2008, 08:18 AM
It's driving me nut's and making it impossible for me to work with morphs.
Can it be done via a pluging or anything; just something to stop LightWave changing the Vertex order when I export to .obj format?

I really hope so :(

cresshead
09-16-2008, 08:19 AM
ususally 'just works...'

i'll check later to see if 9.5 killed it...

pumeco
09-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Cheers Steve, much appreciated.

BTW, I'm using 9.5 (only the one NewTek have marked as official - I've not tried the newer point beta releases yet). This is goinna be interesting, to be honest I never noticed this problem before so I think 9.5 probably has killed it.

RebelHill
09-16-2008, 08:43 AM
9.5 has made changes to the way that obj export/import works in order to increase compatibility with other applications, tahts why these changes are popping up... if ur using objects created, exported, and imported purely through 9.5, you shouldnt have any issues, or so i believe.

artstorm
09-16-2008, 10:15 AM
if ur using objects created, exported, and imported purely through 9.5, you shouldnt have any issues, or so i believe.

Unfortunately not.
Pointorder and exporting obj and then reimporting back simply has ceased working in 9.5.
Also parts doesn't work with obj and 9.5 as it did in earlier LightWave versions.

Both are useful when going to zbrush and back for instance.
So at the moment I revert back to 9.3.1 when I need to i/o with the obj format.

jin choung
09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
yikes,

even with the stuff to increase compatibility and export vert normals, it should be possible to do that without changing vertex order....

this would indeed make interoperability considerably less friendly for a lot of non-architectural tasks.

jin

papou
09-16-2008, 11:43 AM
you can try to use Rekniter plugin to reorder the mesh vertex.
- Select 2 Connected polys; Launch Rekniter
- Select 2 Connected polys on the Morph target; Launch Rekniter.

http://www.flay.com/plugs/downloads/Rekniter.p

don't know if it work well with lw9x...

jin choung
09-16-2008, 11:45 AM
that might work nicely for meshes staying in lw. but if the act of exporting to obj changes the vert order then that plug won't help. especially if the vert order matters in another app (like you're exporting to maya or something).

jin

pumeco
09-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Thank's for the link, papou, no luck though I'm afraid.

If possible, could a NewTek person post here just so we know if you've seen this thread and are aware of this problem?

This is quite a biggie because it stops us being able to work with ZBrush and other programs in the way we need to for morphs. It's great you guys are improving stuff for compatibility but this particualr move has gone from 100% compatibility to 0% compatibility just like that!

As Jin just put it ... YIKES!!!

SplineGod
09-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Report it as a bug.

JBT27
09-17-2008, 04:14 AM
Just to add to the misery, the point order stuff has broken usage of LW exports in Acrobat 3D as well.

I'm one hour from giving a demo for a new job for my company, and luckily I have just enough time to fix this.....thanks NT.....get your act together please.

Julian.

pumeco
09-17-2008, 05:20 AM
I've just reported it as a bug so hopefully NewTek will sort it out. I'm always amazed at how quick beta releases keep coming, so hopefully it won't be too long before they nail it.

I'm just hoping they'll see it as important or it might not get fixed at all!

JBT27
09-17-2008, 08:31 AM
I've also reported it - making the point that it's a bit of a ball-breaker for existing pipelines, and if not fixed will oblige people to begin migrating away from LW for some or all of their work .....

Harsh but fair :D

Julian.

pumeco
09-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Well, it's probably best you did report it as well (the more the better).
They'll get a better idea of how many users it effects and how important it is if more people report it.

pumeco
11-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Great news, they fixed it!

They've done more than just a fix, so you'll have to pop over to the beta forum to see what they've added - I'm not telling here :D
Thank's for getting this done, NewTek :thumbsup: