PDA

View Full Version : modeler: object in background slow?

stevmjon
09-15-2008, 09:51 PM
hello

i'm not sure if this is my computer or lightwave.

modeler: if i have an object in the foreground layer, rotate it, move it, zoom in etc it is all nice and fast. but if i put this in the background layer then try all these things, it is much slower, even jerky. if i put it in the foreground layer again it is fast.

i didn't notice this in v8.x . i'm using pc 32bit v9.5 .

has anyone else noticed this?

stevmjon

Hopper
09-15-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm assuming you mean navigating around in the Perspective window and not actually moving the object - since true background objects can't be manipulated in that way with the standard tools.

I tried moving around with a large poly count object in the background and had no issues.

It may be an OGL issue. When I first bought my card the driver that came with it was horrible. In shaded/wire view everything moved smoothly, but when I changed to just wire mode everything stuttered - which would normally happen the opposite way. I changed my video driver around to a couple of different versions 'til I found the one that worked with LW properly.

Sensei
09-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Did you try using Legacy OpenGL? Press 'd', then GL tab, and turn on Legacy OpenGL..

stevmjon
09-16-2008, 08:58 PM
to hopper
yes it is the navigation buttons, used in all viewports, and rotate in the perspective viewport. i will see if i have a newer driver version available. thanks for the tip.

to sensei,
i have not tried legacy open gl. thanks, i will try that.

stevmjon

clagman
09-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I've noticed a gigantic difference in performance when enabling "simple wireframe points" and "simple wireframe edges". Even on a Quadro 4600.

BigHache
09-17-2008, 09:06 PM
stevmjon, I have noticed this as well, but for me the difference was x32 vs x64. The x32 Modeler didn't perform nearly as well in the rotation of a model in Perspective viewport, but that should be expected I would think.

I've been mainly working in x64 though so I haven't noticed it much.

stevmjon
09-18-2008, 02:57 AM
thanks for all the advice.

after a little experimenting it ended up being "simple wireframe points", thanks clagman.

now the background is equally as fast as the foreground. no difference. woohoo.

thanks stevmjon

Ztreem
09-19-2008, 03:33 PM
This bug has been since the OpenGL rewrite in 9.0 and it's reported to NT, the 'simple wireframe points' in display options works for now.

A Mejias
09-20-2008, 02:43 AM
I'd say you should report this bug even if someone else has. You're info may help track down a fix for it.

Ztreem
09-20-2008, 03:17 AM
I'd say you should report this bug even if someone else has. You're info may help track down a fix for it.

I agree, send a bug report with content.