PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster Edit needs to be input in switcher.

stoecklem
09-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Hello

I am getting familiar with Tricaster 2.0 at work and also have VT 5 at home. While Newtek has done a fine job and I love the Tricaster software, perfect for our Public Access TV station, there is one major limitation.

Why can't Tricaster be like VT 5 in that you can access the Editor and the text generator as an input through the switcher? The switcher is always deciding the program out in VT 5. When I switch over to the editor or the text creator in Tricaster it takes over the program out so I cant edit text or video without screwing up the program out.

I should be able to use the LC-11 to switch even when I am in the edit or the text tab. This would make the Tricaster a lot more flexible and powerful.
ex. edit a segment or text quickly while not interfering with the program out.

Paul Lara
09-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes, VT[5] offers that flexibility.
That added flexibility brings additional complexity with it.
We are finding that many users prefer simplicity over complexity.

When you go to Edit Text or Edit Media you are essentially discarding all switcher skins (and their controls) to launch a new set of skins and controls to make the most of the screen real estate.

If you really need that higher level of complexity then VT[5] may be the best course for you.

I am getting familiar with Tricaster 2.0 at work and also have VT 5 at home. While Newtek has done a fine job and I love the Tricaster software, perfect for our Public Access TV station, there is one major limitation.

Why can't Tricaster be like VT 5 in that you can access the Editor and the text generator as an input through the switcher? The switcher is always deciding the program out in VT 5. When I switch over to the editor or the text creator in Tricaster it takes over the program out so I cant edit text or video without screwing up the program out.

I should be able to use the LC-11 to switch even when I am in the edit or the text tab. This would make the Tricaster a lot more flexible and powerful.
ex. edit a segment or text quickly while not interfering with the program out.

stoecklem
09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Thank You for your response. that simplicity over complexity is exactly why my employer chose Tricaster over VT 5 and I can completely understand that.

But this is a huge thing to me and it seems to me like many customers could live with a little added complexity to implement something as basic and useful as this.

so it seems to me that edit text and edit media are like seperate softwares inside tricaster. wouldn't it be smoother and more integrated to have everything working together.

I realize that Newtek made a decision to have tricaster behave this way, but frankly I think it was a mistake.

Paul Lara
09-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Thank you for your suggestion. I'll share this with the team.