PDA

View Full Version : OBJ export - still no UV's?

biliousfrog
09-15-2008, 09:02 AM
What's the deal with Lightwave's OBJ exporter? I'm convinced that I read somewhere that Newtek were supposed to be working on the OBJ exporter for 9.5...but it STILL doesn't retain UV's!...what the hell is up with that?

Sensei
09-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Do you mean export or import??

Modeler exports UV to OBJ without problem in any LW version.. While ago I even checked Modeler v9.0 build 998 and right commands in file (vt lines in text editor) were present..

Obviously you must have everything set up correctly i.e. have projection UV mapping and right UV map picked up in Surface Editor etc. OBJ can have just one UV map, but LW does not have limit.

biliousfrog
09-16-2008, 03:35 AM
I've never had a problem "importing" OBJ's with UV's but haven't had any luck exporting.

The surface editor thing you mentioned is interesting...so, the UV's have to be assigned to a surface in the editor to be exported?

MiniFireDragon
09-16-2008, 08:54 AM
If you are exporting UV's they MUST be attached to a surface. If you just make UVs and don't attach them to the surface they will not be put in the OBJ file.

All you need to do is open the surface editor and click on the T in the Color and put the UV map in.

biliousfrog
09-16-2008, 11:55 AM
genius, I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks for the help

MiniFireDragon
09-16-2008, 12:23 PM
That's OK, somewhere around here is my same problem. Took me about 3 hours to figure out. Probably in the Beta forums because I don't see it in a search. But I give the answer in it.