PDA

View Full Version : Animated radiosity and deformation

mikeshan
09-15-2008, 04:22 AM
Hi,

I have been looking at the 9.5 guide to radiosity

http://www.except.nl/lightwave/RadiosityGuide95/index.htm#cache

and it says that object deformation is not yet supported by animated cache, so does a character walking count as this? I am attempting to use the feature and the render times are so incredibly slow that its pretty useless. Is there another way of getting flicker free radiosity?

Captain Obvious
09-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Anything where the individual vertices move in relation to eachother counts as deformation. A whole item moving or rotating is not deformation, but an arm bending is.

mikeshan
09-15-2008, 04:38 AM
Ok thanks for clearing that up!

- so if I have animated characters what are my options to get flicker free radiosity?

Exception
09-15-2008, 05:17 AM
Depends, are they far away? Just use the static cache.
People have reported limited success with animated characters and animated radiosity. You might give it a try and see what happens.

mikeshan
09-15-2008, 05:21 AM
I have tried lots of settings - anything that takes a reasonable time to render flickers, using it makes the scene render 4x slower... The characters are in your face basically with lots of movement and deformation.

Dodgy
09-15-2008, 05:40 AM
I've tried it with bones and texture displacement and it seems to work okay. Obviously baking every 10 frames isn't going to work as well as a static scene, but I'm impressed so far.

Exception
09-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Yes Dodgy has a point, up the cache frame step.
You might trick it to work, but it's essentially not supported. This is very new technology, no render engine has anything like this... i'm sure it's being developed further as we speak.

mikeshan
09-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Ok maybe I won't give up yet... I have been trying non-interpolated background only radiosity and it renders much faster than cached monty carlo and looks not too bad.

SplineGod
09-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Its a shame it doesnt work with characters. Two of the big parts of this release are things we could use on the show Ive been working on for Animal Planet...radiosity caching and fur. Fiberfx crashes too much and we have a lot of animated characters.

mikeshan
09-16-2008, 04:57 AM
How do others go about getting the nice result vs the render times fo rcharacter animations. i am experimenting as I type with background radiosity with 100 rays, it doesn't seem to flicker but takes quite a while to render.