PDA

View Full Version : Adding an interference layer to a nodal material

starbase1
09-15-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm trying to work out how to add an interference film layer to a material node, (in this case conductor), and it's defeating me.

Has anyone got any pointers?

Nick

Tobian
09-15-2008, 05:14 AM
Have you tried feeding a colour gradient driven by incidence angle into the colour channel?

Have you got an example of thin film so we can suggest ways of achieving that look?

starbase1
09-15-2008, 05:28 AM
Have you tried feeding a colour gradient driven by incidence angle into the colour channel?

Have you got an example of thin film so we can suggest ways of achieving that look?

I was after an effect pretty much along the lines of the the Interference Shader, (and hopefully every bit as easy!)

Nick

Tobian
09-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Hmm something like this.. Look similar to their preview, but it might not render the same, as Conductor tints highlights (as the colour highlights function, which gives realistic metals)

Quick example. Might be suitable for your needs, but it's tough to say without knowing your project. :)

starbase1
09-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Hmm something like this.. Look similar to their preview, but it might not render the same, as Conductor tints highlights (as the colour highlights function, which gives realistic metals)

Quick example. Might be suitable for your needs, but it's tough to say without knowing your project. :)

Thanks! That's about right, and seems easy to adjust too!

I did not have a specific project in mind, but I was experimenting with abstract shapes, and I like surfaces that emphasize the orientations for that sort of thing, helps to exaggerate the 3d-ness of the images!

Is it OK to pass that on to preset central?

Nick

Tobian
09-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Haha sure, why not, though it's not got all the settings fine-tuned. Typically I lower the reflection quality to 1, to speed up render times :)

starbase1
09-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Haha sure, why not, though it's not got all the settings fine-tuned. Typically I lower the reflection quality to 1, to speed up render times :)

Well, if I learned something, maybe others will too - and it only takes a few seconds to upload!

Nick