PDA

View Full Version : mdd files & Morph Mixer

sylvain delmé
09-14-2008, 02:08 AM
Hi,
I've got a character with a mdd file applied to it. now I want to apply morphs (this is a long story, but I have no other option to do this way: problem with FBX imports). The mophs doesn't play at all. I also tried to apply morphs first: same result.
Is there a way to combine these 2 kinds of displacements?

Dirk
09-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Haven't tried for myself, but maybe this could help:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34540&highlight=morph+mdd

Greenlaw
09-14-2008, 11:17 AM
You need to use FX_Metalink_Morph. For this to work properly, you need to parent a copy of your object to the .mdd-ed copy (and disable the original in the Scene Editor so it doesn't render.) Then apply FX_Metalink and FX_Metalink_Morph to the copy--the first passes on the .mdd displacement and the second enables morphing on top of the .mdd displacement. Finally, add Morph Mixer to apply the morphs. (By the way, I think you'll need to apply the .mdd to the original using ClothFX. For some reason, I don't think the FX plug-ins work reliably with other .mdd plug-ins.)

Hope this helps. I'm down with a head cold right now so if this doesn't work or make any sense, blame it on my cold medicine. :)

DRG

Greenlaw
09-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Also, if you're using sub-patched object, set the original's sub-division to level 1 and rerun your .mdd scan. You can use this 'low-poly' object to deform your parented 'high-poly' (higher sub-d level) copy. I think you'll need to set the displacement order to last.

Okay, must go back to bed now. (Achoo!)

DRG

sylvain delmé
09-14-2008, 11:24 AM
thanks guys! you saved my character's life!!!

bugzilla
04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
I have tried this technique to get the .mdd file animation to work with Morph Mixer. Although I am able to get it to work, it brings my system to a grind. I have turned the subpatch display settings to 0 on both the original and FX linked child object, but still my system can hardly handle it.

Is there a way to get this technique to work without the massive slowdown?