PDA

View Full Version : So, I made a tune!

Matt
09-13-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm the first to admit, I'm not a trained musician or anything, but I made this tune!

Be nice to hear what people think of my lame efforts!

It's a bit moody and of the 'electronic' variety, but there you go!

9MB MP3, Zipped
The_Dark_3.zip (http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/temp/The_Dark_3.zip)

Cheers
Matt

walfridson
09-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Very nice Matt! I like the sound.

You should create more!

hrgiger
09-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Nice, what did you use to make it?

mav3rick
09-13-2008, 09:30 AM
no bad reminds me on some scifi adventure game and bring me memory on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneath_a_Steel_Sky i dunno why :) but that was game that was one of great times i spent in my childhood... together with monkey island , flashback and another world.... ah i can goon and get some more names here but it'll hurt me.....

sorry for offtopic

Matt
09-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Why thanks! It was put together in Reason, Thor rocks!

hrgiger
09-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey matt, that song is in my playlist now, it's actually pretty good. Can we use it in projects?:D
Do you dabble in this much? I want to be able to make my own loops for animations to avoid the whole copyrighted music thing but the music mixers I've seen look so complex (makes zbrush look like MS paint) I wouldn't even know where to begin. Can you or anyone recommend a good mixer that just allows me to throw loops together on a timeline that's pretty straight forward?

inquisitive
09-14-2008, 11:18 PM
is it all samples, per se? or does it have some sort of keyboard you can use to trigger your own chords etc? - nice song

Matt
09-15-2008, 03:25 AM
No sample loops used, all me!

And yes, feel free to use it for anything you like!

Good sample looping based music, try Fruity Loops, not used it myself, but it looks nice!

meshpig
09-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Ok, I have to be the one to say it's passable but not very interesting.

-Some Dark and moody stuff from the monophonic 70's;

http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/

m:)

Matt
09-15-2008, 04:47 AM
I love Tangerine Dream! :D

Especially Melrose, Rockoon, and a track called 'White Eagle' (on album of same name) which started me off on my TD expedition!

Was also into Jean Michel Jarre and lots of Amiga Music when I was in my formative years!

Missed out on all this rock and indie stuff with guitars and vocals!

meshpig
09-15-2008, 05:27 AM
I love Tangerine Dream! :D

Especially Melrose, Rockoon, and a track called 'White Eagle' (on album of same name) which started me off on my TD expedition!

Was also into Jean Michel Jarre and lots of Amiga Music when I was in my formative years!

Missed out on all this rock and indie stuff with guitars and vocals!

I thought so, yeah JMJ. Live in China?? How about before all that. Do you remember Jean luc Ponty the fusion violinist... cosmic messenger etc? I actually can't remember my favorite TD album, vinyl and I threw it out along with the rest ages ago. Oxygene or something...

Just trying to think, oh and then there's YEs, "close to the edge" and what about GONG, "Angel's Egg" ... Steve Hillage and all that.

Furk, I was over the guitar by about the age of 18. These days I can appreciate a well rounded and mellow jazz guytar, a kick a**e flamenco some blues and some of Segovia but I wouldn't give you the time of day for another round of hack rock... I recently saw Elvis Costello with his opera get up and the 26 beautiful guitars he uses on stage. I couldn't see how he even once struck an open chord, like the guy doesn't do guitar.

m

COBRASoft
09-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Wonderfull Matt, my computer is full of this music. More of this please :)

JeffrySG
09-15-2008, 08:26 AM
I think it's really good... the only think that I can think of when I listen to it is it might be nice to hear a bit more 'layering' of the music - not sure if that makes sense, but it might make the sound a little richer, and you could still keep it pretty dark if you wanted.

cheers!

-FP-
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Nicely sparse. A bit long. Reminds of T Dream, mentioned above.

art
09-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Nice tune Matt. I'm definetely keeping this one.
Amiga scene used to be full of nice music done by untrained/non-professional musicians.

I used to dabble in music, and still do, but I lost all inspiration and can't compose or finish anything half decent (i.e. no talent).

T-Light
09-18-2008, 01:44 PM
hrgiger

Can you or anyone recommend a good mixer that just allows me to throw loops together on a timeline that's pretty straight forward?

Well, I was just about to say FL Studio but Matt beat me to it.
Matt

Good sample looping based music, try Fruity Loops, not used it myself, but it looks nice!

There's three versions, a beginner, intermediate and pro, there's also a pro version with extra plugins (XL?). If you can afford the pro then have a long think about the XL. I bought the pro a few months back, the other day I looked at buying Sytrus, it's another $179, would have had about $600 worth of plugins including Sytrus if I'd gone for XL in the first place.

I can't say what the beginner and intermediate versions are like, the pro version is just beautifull, it's one of the best looking GUI's I've ever seen. It can take a bit of getting into though, there's plenty of video tutorials about, but it still took me a couple of days to wrap my head around it all. There's still a lot of very powerfull stuff I've never used.

Here's the Pro version (Producer Edition) in action.

oh ps, Matt, great stuff :thumbsup:

art
09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
I use FL Studio (full, pro) and I love it. I agree with T-Light, it's just beautiful. I stopped recommending it because it has that stigma of not being professional and what not. Since I do not know better, I just keep quiet.

For me it is very intuitive. I can just jump in and create something. Granted, I started with version 3, which was much simpler, so I learned it in smaller chunks, but even the current version is still quite easy to get into IMHO.

But it probably does not make sense to buy it if all you need is a mixer.

Cougar12dk
09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
This is good music Matt :thumbsup:

Would like to hear more, please :)

Stooch
09-18-2008, 03:41 PM
nice i use Fruity Loops, Reason, Sound Forge and Buzz.

T-Light
09-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Stooch

nice i use Fruity Loops, Reason, Sound Forge and Buzz.
Sir, you are way too posh, what's wrong with a banjo and a tape deck :D

art

I use FL Studio (full, pro) and I love it. I agree with T-Light, it's just beautiful. I stopped recommending it because it has that stigma of not being professional and what not. Since I do not know better, I just keep quiet.
:D Ah, see, if it's good I can't my gob shut. Don't care what others say. I think the stigma came from the original program which (I think) was purely loop based. Since it broke away from all that, I just can't see the problem any more.

Like hrgiger, a few months ago all I wanted was a simple music program, in my case it was to replace Cubasis 3 (cheapy Cubase) which just doesn't like Vista. I went through loads of options, cheap and freeware without finding somthing that did the job (all limited or unstable). Remembered fruity loops from years back and tracked down fl studio.

At the time, all I was interested in was their base package, the sequence loop type hrgigers after, but I have a keyboard, and looking at all the options the only one that came close to Cubasis 3 was the full producer edition.

For anyone reading this thread who thinks flstudio is simply a loop drum electro type package, here's an example created with the product. I love this, it's addictive, reminds me of the 'The Sundays'.

http://www.talkinglight.com/talkinglight/images/MrSpecial-ArentYouClever.mp3

[This comes with the package, I had nothing to do with its creation :)]
Written and performed by Laurie Webb
Production and arrangements by Mr Special
Mixed by Fuego

(ps are mp3's banned on Newtek uploads?)

T-Light
09-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Oh yeah.

Sorry, don't mean to be 'selling' fl studio hrgiger, but once you buy it's FREE updates, fortunate people like Art who bought in to fl studio 3.0 have had freeby updates ever since (it's now on V 8). I think they make their money on plugins and samples. :thumbsup:

IgnusFast
09-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Here's my junk, all done in Garage Band, none of it very good...

http://www.macidol.com/jamroom/bands/266/

IgnusFast
09-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Totally dig your song, BTW - that's going on my iPod!

hrgiger
09-18-2008, 07:07 PM
That is a pretty interface T-Light. I think I've just got too much on my plate now with XSI and getting up to speed on LWCAD 3. Plus, I just blew all my money on software already this week. That looks like way more of a music program then I really need. Maybe I'll just sell some of my posts to Matt. Then he can finally be one of the big boys and I can have some sweet music for my projects.

art
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Yes, the updates to the main application are free for life, which is what got me in the first place, plus they had a very decent deal on the whole package when I bough it. Some new plugins come free with updates while others, the fancy ones usually, cost extra.

Oh yeah.

Sorry, don't mean to be 'selling' fl studio hrgiger, but once you buy it's FREE updates, fortunate people like Art who bought in to fl studio 3.0 have had freeby updates ever since (it's now on V 8). I think they make their money on plugins and samples. :thumbsup:

T-Light
09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
hrgiger

That looks like way more of a music program then I really need. Maybe I'll just sell some of my posts to Matt. Then he can finally be one of the big boys and I can have some sweet music for my projects.
He might just go or it, elections coming up and his post count is a little weak :D

Other alternatives
Google 'free sequencer'
They couldn't cut the mustard for me but if your requirements and kit are different they could do the job.

Low price sequencers
As above, I did the research and settled with fl studio. Back in the day 'Cubasis' did it for me, even though fl studio pro beats it on virtually every aspect, I miss it, it was much easier AND it had musical scoring, which I liked.

The USA is very different on computer mags than the UK, here they occasionaly give away amazing software for free. There's a UK mag called computer music, haven't bought it in years, but it used to be superb on for free riffs, loops etc. Have a look around, you may be able to get away with a couple of their cd's and a free mixer (which they usually include on their cd/dvd).

Good luck :)

-FP-
09-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Oh yeah, I do music too. Tool of choice is SONAR. Check the MUSIC column on the right side of my home page, linked below...

akademus
09-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Can we hear the wires?

meshpig
09-19-2008, 03:17 AM
Here's my junk, all done in Garage Band, none of it very good...

http://www.macidol.com/jamroom/bands/266/

Hey, hell no that's pretty cool for GB it's just a pity you can't pull-off the piano part? I can hear what you want but... you're gonna hate me for saying you ought to check out

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/card/0,,467645,00.html

kind of thing if you haven't. People say it all sounds like "muzac" but muzac and music for elevators was actually the invention or Erik Satie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Satie

To me, the Day Miles Davis died, this whole era of digital music was sealed and delivered.

m:)

IgnusFast
09-19-2008, 08:14 AM
That guy doesn't sound too bad, though I generally like my music a lot more electronic sounding. More like Tangerine Dream, David Arkenstone, or Jean Michelle Jarre. I still love Maynard Ferguson, though.

I'd love to be a real musician; the only think I've ever actually been good at is programming, so I'll stick with that and just noodle with music and 3D graphics on the side. :)

meshpig
09-19-2008, 09:09 AM
That guy doesn't sound too bad, though I generally like my music a lot more electronic sounding. More like Tangerine Dream, David Arkenstone, or Jean Michelle Jarre. I still love Maynard Ferguson, though.

I'd love to be a real musician; the only think I've ever actually been good at is programming, so I'll stick with that and just noodle with music and 3D graphics on the side. :)

Well, a real musician is just someone who has spent the same amount of time doing that as you have on programming...

Can't find snippets of Maynard Ferguson et al, maybe the same sort of thing as Jan Garbarek and Terj Ripdal in Europe? Long standing musos doing great music.

Electronic sounding? On the same site have you heard Klaus Schulze?

http://www.last.fm/music/Klaus+Schulze

m

hrgiger
09-29-2008, 02:31 PM
What did happen to Matt? No avatar or anything.

Hopper
09-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Odd ... look at his profile..

Biography:
Gone
Interests:
Gone
Gone

??? :confused:

Hopper
09-29-2008, 02:54 PM
He was on SpinQuad yesterday at 2:39pm .. We'll track him down!!

hrgiger
09-29-2008, 03:08 PM
We were just private messaging within the week talking about different things. He made no mention about going anywhere.

hrgiger
09-29-2008, 03:12 PM
These are his last few posts here. http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88771&page=2 Seems his webserver has been changed and all his Lightwave stuff was wiped. Not sure if it has anything to do with that.

Lightwolf
09-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I hope Matt doesn't mind if I post this. We mailed, he's fine.

He's just spent a bit too much of his precious time on-line lately and needs to cut back a little.
A shift of priorities and imho not the worst one.

Nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
Mike

JeffrySG
09-29-2008, 03:20 PM
That's good to hear. :)

Hopper
09-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Ahhh... been there. Might be the same reason I threw all my copies of Warcraft out and deleted all my characters, etc... It was worse than drugs..

Now I have LW ... great... here we go again..

Matt
09-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Thought I'd better explain what's going on.

After much thought, I've decided to scale back quite considerably my support on the forums. For many years I've been quite active creating tutorials, example content and interface ideas for NewTek, this came at much expense to my time, health (many, many late nights) and was starting to affect my day job.

Iíll still be around, but not in the same capacity as before. Thatís pretty much it really. Apologies for any concern this may have caused. I cleared out all my details and avatar because it helped break the addiction to the forum, kinda crazy, but it helped.

Cheers
Matt

pumeco
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Bloody hell, I was just about to download that!
Hurry up and quit the cold turkey, Matt, we need the humour around here :thumbsup:

I hope me making you go bald had nothing to do with this. I just want to point out to the members here that Matt isn't really bald, it's just that I'm totally incredible at Photoshop stuff.

Seriously though I think I know how you feel, I get that sometimes ;

Mostly when I'm lonely ... at home ... rendering a nekkid Vickie ... and I think to myself ... WHAT am I doing ... I should get a girlfriend ... but if I did ... what would she say if I wanted to play with LightWave instead ... yes ... the only wave I'd get ... is a 'wave' goodbye ... and that would be that ... no hanky panky ... so I ask myself ... why bother in the first place?

:hey:

Stooch
10-03-2008, 12:15 PM
i whipped this up some time ago. http://www.stooch.net/outgoing/stooch-el_testiculo_del_elefante.mp3

hrgiger
10-03-2008, 12:20 PM
That's pretty good Stooch.

pumeco
10-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I agree, that was good Stooch.
What's the title in English?

hrgiger
10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
It looks like Elephants testicles.

Stooch
10-04-2008, 01:08 AM
correct. dont remmeber how that came about but there it is.