PDA

View Full Version : posterization from TMPEGEnc?

sadkkf
08-01-2003, 08:32 AM
I was asked by some coworkers to edit their video, originally shot on DVD RAM (yikes!). So I did, and finally burned it DVD.

The source is heavily compressed and has artifacts all over it. Naturally, capturing and playing back through the VT[2], it looks no different. After I burned it to DVD, it looks posterized and has splotches of bad colors (red water, green skies).

Has anyone else run across this and does any one know if there's a way to correct or get around this using TMPEGEnc?

Thanks!

sywitt
08-02-2003, 12:15 PM
When using Tmpeg, I suggest going into the "other options" (I think that's what it's called) section of the the wizard and pick 2pass VBR and "high quality" (not "highest quality"--I can't tell the difference in results and it's quicker). The 2 pass really maximizes your bandwidth and gets rid of all but the most pesky rendering artifacts. It takes twice as long to render but is what makes tmpeg such high quality.

All of the above assumes that the footage you're putting into tmpeg is clean.

sadkkf
08-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try, but the original video they gave me is very heavily compressed and full of artifacts. It's really ugly. The color, however, is accurate.

SBowie
08-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Just a thought, but sometimes when I am given really bad footage to work with, I compose it as a PIP element over either some sort of fitting animated or textured backdrop or sometimes over a slow photo montage.

The scaling makes the crummy video look better, and people seem to be impressed with the effect rather than disapointed with the video quality.

sadkkf
08-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Wow, that's an interesting idea! How large is the PIP element you create? Is it nearly full screen?

SBowie
08-04-2003, 11:15 AM
It would depend on just how bad the original video really is (or sometimes, how relevant the backdrop was if I was using photos). Making the PIP smaller makes problems less noticable. Usually I would use between quarter and 1/3 of the screen for the PIP.

sadkkf
08-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks, Steve. I'm eager to try this out!