PDA

View Full Version : How to display UVs?

Martin3D
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
How can I display the UV Map from a loaded object?

I can see the UV Map when I originally create it. But if I exit Modeler, reload the object, select UV Texture from the View Type drop down box, I do not see the UV Map that I had there. I know it exists because the texture is mapped properly and it also shows up in UVEdit Pro.

Using 9.5

EDIT:
Bonus Question #2: What do the red dots mean in the UV Texture display?

TripD
09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
In modeler, you just click on the T button at the bottom right of your screen. Look for the particular uv map that you want to see then just click it. It should show up in your uv view port then.

Hope this helped!

Philbert
09-13-2008, 01:54 AM
The red dots confuse me too. As I understand it they are supposed to indicate that the red point is connected to another point on the map.

So suppose I have a circle and divide it up like a pie and UV map it. All of the dots will be white. But if I unweld the center point and (in the map) select one of the "pie slice" polys, then use the drag tool to move the center point, now merge points back together. Now you have one point that is located in two different places on the map. So LW tells you his by making one of them red.

Sensei
09-13-2008, 01:02 PM
The red dots confuse me too. As I understand it they are supposed to indicate that the red point is connected to another point on the map.

"Red point" means one point in geometry- multiple UV values. These additional UVs are per-polygon. Unwelding whole layer removes "red points", because every point is used by just one polygon. Removing polygon also removes discontinuous UVs owned by polygon. That's why modification of finished geometry often destroy discontinuous UVs (and CC edge weighting, which is implemented the same way).

Sensei
09-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Every single tool either built-in or 3rd party doing that must be fixed, which is giant amount of work. It's easier and quicker learn people to UV map/apply CC edge weighting at the end of modeling.. ;)

See EasySplit v3.x it's the only tool for splitting/adding geometry which doesn't break CC edge weighting
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/Movies/EasySplit_Edge_Weight_Preserved_1.mov
But it had to be fixed after LW v9.0 release to work with CC..