PDA

View Full Version : 5 point poly

CC Rider
09-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Anyone know of a tutorial or have any advice for getting rid of 5 point polys?
I've got a few I need to get rid of...

Thanks!

:D

RollerJesus
09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Taron shows some great methods in his secrets of organic modeling series (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/tba01.html).

CC Rider
09-12-2008, 09:36 AM
thanks RJ I'll check it out.

Surrealist.
09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
5 poly points are unavoidable unless your mesh is just a solid grid of squares. 5 poly points come into existence when you connect an edge loop to the rest of your grid mesh. You need edge loops to define your shape.

The question is, where do you put them? :hey:

That is the art and science of it right there.

I'd say that the mesh you have there looks like a decent polyflow for what you have. But you could reduce the polys by about half in areas where they are just redundant relatively flat or straight areas. Just depends on the detail you will add later.

CC Rider
09-12-2008, 11:50 AM
So is the trick / art / science a matter of adjusting that pesky weak point to remove the bump that it creates or is there something else?

Hopper
09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Taron shows some great methods in his secrets of organic modeling series (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/tba01.html).
:agree:

Worth every penny.

Unless you're getting a nasty seam during a render, that poly flow looks good to me. There's nothing "wrong" with having a 5 point pole - it's pretty much unavoidable. It's more of a matter of placement. Try to get them in flat areas and you won't have to worry about "wrinkles".

CC Rider
09-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Cool...thanks!
I'll have a quick look in Layout and do a test render to see if it shows up...in modeler in texture view, I can see a faint "star" where that weak point seems to be pulling the mesh a bit. I have to be pretty close to see it. Maybe it won't show up in Layout...
I guess my question should have been "how do you deal with 5 point polys" rather that "how do you get rid of 5 point polys".
I'm sure I'll get better at it the more I work with sub-d's.

Thanks for the insight!
Leaving for Jamaica this weekend!
Woo Hoo! Ya Mon!

Sarford
09-13-2008, 07:12 PM
hmm... its 5 poly point, not a 5 point poly (thats a n-gon) ;)

CC-subD's handle those points better then normal subD's, no or not much pinching in CC.