PDA

View Full Version : Adding 'flags' to LW scene members

Loki_UK
08-01-2003, 05:34 AM
First off, hi all...

Have been a Lightwave user for some time now but only really just stuck my head into LSCRIPTING... ooh its fun.
I'm currently developing some LSCRIPT tools to help me in my 3D game development

So far I've written simple stuff that writes Light and Mesh positions, scaling, rotation, color, blah, etc to file so that my level editor can load this info and create DX lights and load meshes etc.

However now I'd like to be able to add custom 'flags' to objects.
So say for example a mesh was to act as a elevator in the game engine, I'd be able to add:

mesh.isElevator
mesh.isVertical
mesh.isHorizontal
etc...

Now since I'm new I wondered if anyone here had some helpful pointers or websites that could speed me on my way!

Cheers,
Many thanks in advance.

Alex

faulknermano
08-01-2003, 08:03 AM
answers will depends on where you want to 'tag' it. are you wanting to tag the objects in modeler, and thus the geometry itself? or do you want to do it in layout and thus tag the _instance_ of the geometry?

if in modeler, the only thing i can think of is the use of custom VMAPs to identify _points_. there is no way, i think, in lscript to access polygon parts.

otoh, if you want to do the tagging in layout you can use the setTag() func (and the getTag() func). these tag the objects with a string and saves it with the scene file. but the geometry itself contains no additional info; it's all in the scene file.

hope that helps some.