PDA

View Full Version : Glossy Monitors?!?!

starbase1
09-12-2008, 01:34 AM
As I understand it, the general opinion expressed in magazines is that glossy screens work well for watching video, and matt for actual graphics work. (I've seen this said several times in reviews).

This makes no sense to me.

As the main effect of a glossy screen is to add reflections of what's around it, I don't see how that could ever be a good thing!

Can anyone enlighten me?
Nick

RedBull
09-12-2008, 01:39 AM
As I understand it, the general opinion expressed in magazines is that glossy screens work well for watching video, and matt for actual graphics work. (I've seen this said several times in reviews).

This makes no sense to me.

As the main effect of a glossy screen is to add reflections of what's around it, I don't see how that could ever be a good thing!

Can anyone enlighten me?
Nick

I think you will find glossy screens while adding reflections are really made glossy to improve the contrast ratio.. It tends to have the added effect of increasing the contrast and saturation. Colors look a little deeper, but i would choose a matte finish, any day of the week. Reflections tend to be the downside of better contrast in this case.

rakker16mm
09-12-2008, 02:24 AM
In old school B&W photography it was "glossy is less lossy for copy" because of better apparent contrast, but mat or semi gloss makes for easier viewing.

For what it's worth I am not a fan of glossy screens for any purpose. They tend show every smudge and streak which I find very annoying.

starbase1
09-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Thanks all for the explanations, it makes excellent sense.

(And I can't help but notice that my TV is matt!)

Nick

JeffrySG
09-12-2008, 07:57 AM
yep, hate gloss screens here too!

The ONLY way I'd ever go with a gloss screen - for a TV or a comp. screen - is if it was going to be used in an environment where the lighting was completely controlled to not allow any reflections. Which isn't usually too possible, unless you're in a nice room for a home theater or something similar. The idea of a laptop with a gloss screen is wacky to me, too.

Andrewstopheles
09-12-2008, 08:00 AM
i have a glossy screen and it is great for watching movies etc but i have to go to a normal screen to view color with any accuracy at all
very light colors seem to get squeezed out in particular

cresshead
09-12-2008, 01:39 PM
glossy screens are awful in direct daylight..such as some laptops out n about and used on trains or in the local park...also the lcd screen on digital cameras are sometime impossible to see on sunny days..same with the sony psp screen.

my latest ultra portable laptop from advent [currys bagded msi wind] has a matte finish to it's screen and it works well in daylight conditions...where as my hp tablet and acer laptop both have glossy screens and suffer with reflections in direct daylight conditions.

AbnRanger
09-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Personally I hate glossy screens. I'd rather have a nice matte finish. As RedBull mentions the glossy finish is a workaround for cheaper monitor panels to gain more contrast.

I don't recall seeing S-PVA monitors with glossy finish. It's mostly cheap TN panels that end up with this treatment.My 2nd monitor is a Sony Flat Panel, and it has a glossy screen. Even on sale, I had to pay about $600 for it when I bought it. It beats the pants off the Samsung I have for my primary monitor (Matte finish). Most workplaces tend to keep the interior lighting to a minimum anyway, so the glare or reflection issue is a non-factor.
All the glossy panels I see in on display in stores also seem to look much better too, IMO.

shrox
09-14-2008, 01:18 AM
I am not a fan of glossy screens either, both my new HPs have them.

erikals
09-14-2008, 04:22 AM
it makes sense I think, take a checkerboard, place a glass with a sandfinish in front, then it loose contrast.
this is exagurated, but the principle is the same.

glossy isn't that bad in a dark environment, the problem is that the screen functions as a lightbulb itself,
making the room light up, making reflections pop up.

if the cinemas used a glossy panel, at times the audience would see their reflections on the screen.
not the same principle, but you get the idea :)

Mark The Great
09-14-2008, 06:58 PM
My new HP has a glossy screen. But it's bright enough that it drowns out some reflections. It generally handles colors fine, though the Microsoft Photo viewer thingie shows dramatic color stepping (Photoshop shows none).

shrox
09-14-2008, 07:12 PM
My new HP has a glossy screen. But it's bright enough that it drowns out some reflections. It generally handles colors fine, though the Microsoft Photo viewer thingie shows dramatic color stepping (Photoshop shows none).

Did you get the HP Pavilion with Media Center and the 24" HDMI monitor? That is my system, it is actually a nice media set up, DVD, DVR, and TV receiver w/remote. The monitor is basically an HD tv. Just had to buy more speakers.

Snosrap
09-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Aren't CRTs considered glossy?

Snosrap

Mark The Great
09-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Did you get the HP Pavilion with Media Center and the 24" HDMI monitor? That is my system, it is actually a nice media set up, DVD, DVR, and TV receiver w/remote. The monitor is basically an HD tv. Just had to buy more speakers.

That's the one. I've got a pavilion a6567. I love it.

JeffrySG
09-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Aren't CRTs considered glossy?

Snosrap

Some are some aren't. All depends on the model the same as on LCD monitors...

biliousfrog
09-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I had a Sony PSP about 6 months before they were released in the UK (Japanese import) and sold it within a few months (for much more than I paid) because the "portable" part of "Playstation Portable" was a blatant lie...despite being almost the size of a DVD case, the screen could only be used in complete darkness when wearing a black ninja suit. I tried it without the suit once and could only see my face in the screen...not a pretty sight!

Imagine my delight when my ASUS laptop arrived recently and it also had a glossy screen...bang went my dreams of working in the garden through the summer! I can't even use it in the house during the day because there's too much ambient light.

My Dell 2408WFP on the other hand is fantastic. I've actually got a door open behind me most of the time with a window opposite and I don't notice any reflections. Before I bought that a few months ago I used an AG Neovo LCD which had a glossy screen (bloody internet purchases!) and, although it was actually quite a good display, I would need to keep doors and blind's shut...and I'd still get eye-strain.

High-end CRT's usually came with hoods. I made one from cardboard at my old job because the boss was too tight to buy decent gear.

cresshead
09-15-2008, 09:47 AM
if you want a portable pc that works fine in daylight then i'd reccomend the advent 4211

http://mobilitysite.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/img-3298.jpg

it's a re badged 'currys/pc world own brand> Advent' an msi wind but it's around 50 cheaper than the msi wind [identicle pc]

the screen is matte finish and works like a charm anywhere unlike other netbooks/ultra portables like the hp mini note, acer one, dell ultra portable etc.

glossy screens are fine indoors but out n about they are rubbish.

mattclary
09-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Until I got my current laptop, I didn't see the charm of glossy. People walk up to my cube now and remark on how awesome the picture looks. I'm actually thinking about getting a glossy desktop monitor next time around.

The one thing I have considered though is, with a laptop it is easy to twist it around to avoid reflections, a desktop monitor is more limited in this respect.

starbase1
09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
if you want a portable pc that works fine in daylight then i'd reccomend the advent 4211

http://mobilitysite.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/img-3298.jpg

it's a re badged 'currys/pc world own brand> Advent' an msi wind but it's around 50 cheaper than the msi wind [identicle pc]

the screen is matte finish and works like a charm anywhere unlike other netbooks/ultra portables like the hp mini note, acer one, dell ultra portable etc.

glossy screens are fine indoors but out n about they are rubbish.

Did they do their usual trick of loading it up with hard-to-delete crapware and demo versions? Personally I am now steering well clear of that bunch! (A major delight with my eee 1000h was that it came with stuff that was actually useful installed and set up! Skype, open office...

Nick

cresshead
09-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Did they do their usual trick of loading it up with hard-to-delete crapware and demo versions? Personally I am now steering well clear of that bunch! (A major delight with my eee 1000h was that it came with stuff that was actually useful installed and set up! Skype, open office...

Nick

no, just microsoft works..which is okay for notes, etc.
must say it runs really well...i have thrown zbrush 3.1 demo on it plus lightwave 9.5, toon boom 4.5, maya ple, flash mx, art rage2.5..plenty of room with the 80gig hd.

using vlc player for podcast, films and training vids.

so it's pretty darn cool so far!:thumbsup:

that intel atom chip is cool...literally!
love it!

starbase1
09-15-2008, 11:47 AM
no, just microsoft works..which is okay for notes, etc.
must say it runs really well...i have thrown zbrush 3.1 demo on it plus lightwave 9.5, toon boom 4.5, maya ple, flash mx, art rage2.5..plenty of room with the 80gig hd.

using vlc player for podcast, films and training vids.

so it's pretty darn cool so far!:thumbsup:

that intel atom chip is cool...literally!
love it!

I plonked all William Vaughans training vids on my netbook, great way to be productive on the 78 bus from Peckham!

cresshead
09-15-2008, 01:01 PM
exactly!...i've ben watching my zbrush training vids from digital tutors on the bus and i'm currently going thru my toon boom studio training videos i bought from amazon.co.uk

..much better than listening to music or reading the paper on the way to from work on the bus! the thing i really like over using a sony psp is that i can take the actual videos and just watch em..no need to convert to a psp friendly format..just fire up vlc and your away!

also have the laptop as a back up pc for work in case my workstation folds [it's died twice in the last year...now on a quadcore and a windows re install on that work pc]

a matte scren is a must for outdoor work/in daylight