PDA

View Full Version : Best 3D mag???

virtualcomposer
09-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I was looking into subscribing into the HDRI 3D magazine but not sure. My passion is Lightwave, I also love green screens and special effects tips and stuff like that. Is there a magazine that explains all of this stuff. I'm a knowledge freak so I love to study detailed techniques that pros use. Is HDRI the best magazine for all of this?

Stunt Pixels
09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Cinefex for general effects. No tutorials or whatnot though... You can probably check out some copies at a good arty book shops or good comic shops.

http://www.cinefex.com/

virtualcomposer
09-12-2008, 12:19 AM
I have a few issues of cinefex but does HDRI talked mainly about computer animations?

Stunt Pixels
09-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Yep, HDRI is mainly focused on 3D, and has a good amount of LW in there. It's a good general mag, and the best for stuff specific to LW.

virtualcomposer
09-12-2008, 02:26 AM
Maybe I should get both mags.

Stunt Pixels
09-12-2008, 02:36 AM
They are both good. For general effects "how did they do that?" type stuff, Cinefex rules. This includes a lot of practical effects. It's amazing how many newbies think everything has to be done in a computer, cause they've never done any practical effects... That said, there's no tutorials, or anything software specific really.

HDRI is a better choice for 3d specific stuff and tutorials, with some general stories thrown in.

Yeah, get both if you can afford it, they are both quality mags.

virtualcomposer
09-12-2008, 02:44 AM
awesome. Thanks for the info. Now the challenge is convincing my wife that I need to spend $50 on a mag. LOL. Any tutorials on that??

ctuller
09-12-2008, 09:55 AM
awesome. Thanks for the info. Now the challenge is convincing my wife that I need to spend $50 on a mag. LOL. Any tutorials on that??

Yeah. Tell here you need a subscription to 3dWorld. When she freaks at the price of that the HDRI sub will look like a bargin.

akademus
09-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Not because I worked for them but 3DCreativeMag.com has some really awesome 100+ pages of worthy content for just 4$. If you can read from the screen.

Cheers.

steamthunk
09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
I still get and read 3DCreative. There are Lightwave versions of their main tutorials.

akademus
09-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I still get and read 3DCreative. There are Lightwave versions of their main tutorials.

YES! :thumbsup:

Hope you liked them!

blacksmith
09-13-2008, 06:02 AM
I'm also subscribed to 3DCreative. A lot of stuff for 4 bucks. Good buy definitely!

virtualcomposer
09-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Is 3DCreative more about character animation or does it focus on everything?

steamthunk
09-14-2008, 08:30 PM
They show a lot of characters in their interviews with artists but I've never found it to be exclusively on character animation. Recently there have been car tutorials and before that lighting.

virtualcomposer
09-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I think I'd be interested in HDRI mag since they are less character oriented. No offense, it's just not my thing. It would be great if they had a 3D mag just for people who like to create landscapes, space, and sci-fi. ( :

akademus
09-16-2008, 11:20 AM
They show a lot of characters in their interviews with artists but I've never found it to be exclusively on character animation. Recently there have been car tutorials and before that lighting.

Before that, they were two LW tutorial series for modeling and texturing characters. First was adaptation of famous Michel Rogers Joan of Ark (initially written for MAX), that was mid to hi res modeling and the second second series was low poly game character Swordmaster. It covered both low poly modeling and UV and map painting.

You can get these tutorials as separate Ebooks from www.3dtotal.com (http://www.3dtotal.com) website.

Cheers

steamthunk
09-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah I bought the swordsman and joan tutorial for LW. Useful stuff.

blacksmith
09-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah I bought the swordsman and joan tutorial for LW. Useful stuff.

Yes, good stuff. Thank you akademus for writing these. I've learned heaps of stuff from your tutorials.

lardbros
09-17-2008, 01:43 PM
I think I'd be interested in HDRI mag since they are less character oriented. No offense, it's just not my thing. It would be great if they had a 3D mag just for people who like to create landscapes, space, and sci-fi. ( :

What about "3D Landscapes, Space & Sci-Fi Magazine" ?? Maybe you'd be more into that one? :)

On a serious note, Animation Magazine is actually okay. I've picked it up a few times at Siggraph. Overall though, i think HDRI has better written tutorials and lots of Lightwave stuff. (Also a fair bit of sci-fi stuff) and 3dWorld is a piece of nice design, with pretty good stories and articles. Then 3dCreative is also a good buy (bloody hell, how much do i spend on magazines?). Has some lightwave content, and is also very nicely designed. Just weird how i spend so much time at my PC, but never get round to reading it from cover to cover like i do the others!

akademus
09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Hey Steamthunk and blacksmith, thanks for comments. Those things are a bit outdated but still there are a good foundation, especially for beginners.

Cheers