PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic IK? How about in 7.5!

kevman3d
08-01-2003, 04:52 AM
I was thinking after hearing about all this Dynamic IK in L[8] if perhaps the whole idea was fairly straightforward - Take ParticleFX dynamics and attach them to bone IK calculations?

So I figured I might test this idea and have a play in 7.5 with FXMotion and IK and this is sorta an amusing example of IK goals with Dynamics applied and a collision object for anyone wanting a nose!

http://www.kevman3d.com/video/IK_dynamics_cinepak.avi

Its about 600kb. Its not quite useable in its current state (as goals disappear as there's nothing to tether them in place from falling to infinity with gravity - I tried the IK 'keep goal within reach' option, but FXMotion obviously ignores this)

Roll on L[8]! :D

hairy_llama
08-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Your site is apparently down right now, can't DL vid clip, but this sounds very much like somthing I tried out a long while back.
I had IK goals parented to particles.
You can make random character motions this way as well, apply a random wind and it will effect all of the particles/ikchains differantly :)

kevman3d
08-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Hmmm, no, site appears up though its pretty common that some ISP's can't always connect - I sometimes get issues connecting to some sites as well from NZ. I would try later and see. (or at least try the site directly (www.kevman3d.com) and see if it works)

FXLink the IK goals? Yes, that's a very cool idea actually - For this example, I just played with FX motion, but of course - If you built a particle cloud in modeler that corresponded to the IK goal positions, then used that cloud as an emitter with the same amount of particles and a loooong lifetime...

Good idea dude!

And obviously, if you wanted to keep a 'tether' on the points to prevent them flying away, you could also use Motion Designer and one of those 'Parent to Point' scripts to attach the IK.

Hey, there's a Lot of ways to experiment with this idea!

I think the particle and MDD are probably much more flexible then the FX motion one I used - I might go play later! This could be a fun tutorial for the next LWUG meeting! :)

hairy_llama
08-01-2003, 03:40 PM
I can't beleive I never thought of MDD. That is a totally awsome idea. I bet you could take simple box shaped objects and then sliced them at each join of the character and attatch a null to that point. Then you could setup the rig using point constraints and point at target... Hmm... I gotta try tomorrow when I go to work!!! I am so tempted to rip off an LW version right now to try that idea out on, lol. (No LW on this comp :()

LeMartialou
08-01-2003, 04:56 PM
MikeRB did some pretty cool tests a time ago creating softbody effects with bones and motion designer.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7824

You should take a look, it may give you some cool ideas. :D

kevman3d
08-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Hmmm, MikeRB's tips are very cool! :)

Of course, could just wait for L[8] but why wait when you can experiment now! :)

I'm guessing L[8]'s new stuff is based around the new MDD engine anyway? And now with all vertices being editable in a scene (Just watched one of the stream videos), well, its just opened a new box of toys to play with! :)

Hmmm, I wonder if storing the paths of all those vertices will be an issue with RAM or speed? (specially in dense meshes) - Curious if I'll need 2Gb of ram and a 3Ghz processor to run L[8]! ;)

hairy_llama
08-02-2003, 07:21 PM
I tried it out using MDD. Fricken cool!!
IT looks just like the LW8 bone dynamics demo :)
I can punch it and it reactes just like their character and I also useda wind controller on it to "suck" it around, erg, that HURTS.
I would upload an AVI but our server is having issues right now :(
I could send you an email with the AVI attatched if you want...

kevman3d
08-03-2003, 03:02 AM
Sounds Awesome dude! Yeh, I've got a few tests that just need to have the 'Point Parent' tool added to them to finalise, but definitely an awesome idea...

Of course, L[8] looks like its all integrated a little better - And obviously having it on IK must mean there's also a way to control the mixing of IK and Dynamics... Otherwise your characters would look like floppy messes all the time! :)

Dang, I am now drooling at the thought of [8]. Its got a lot of cool features, specially all that frame level editing of pretty much everything (including vertices)

Groovy!

SplineGod
08-04-2003, 12:08 AM
The great thing was seeing how you could apply IK to a rig with a single click. No goals just nodes. The nodes could be translated/rotated or have IK/FK turned on/off on the fly or nodes locked/unlocked on the fly. One could adjust the weight, springiness and other attributes of each node and dynamics such as wind or gravity simply applied. It was all pretty overwhelming.

kevman3d
08-04-2003, 03:50 AM
Yeh, I gotta say now I've had a chance to check out the whole Siggraph feed without having to need a fast connection I'm starting to feel somewhat blown away at just these 'few' enhancements to LightWave!

Sounds like you all had a great time as well - Funny how exciting it was, even from 20,000km away! :)