PDA

View Full Version : Render Lines

DustinBrown
09-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Someone at work asked me today what the Render Lines option in Render Globals does and I'm not sure myself, so I didn't have an answer for him. True to form, the LW help files failed to even mention that feature.

Anyone know what Render Lines does?

PS to whoever moderates this forum, are you aware that the search function doesn't work? I've tried it in Firefox and IE and I just get a blank page when I try to run a search.

Thanks,
Dustin

CC Rider
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
There are some pretty cool posts in the galleries showing some of the render lines projects/tests.
You can get some neat motion graphics type effects by rendering lines with different colors and some really fast motion with motion blur turned on. Hard to articulate but do a search in the galleries under render lines and you should turn up some good examples.

JeffrySG
09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Doesn't the 'render lines' option allow you to render visible lines for any of your models for which you have the line rendering options turned on. I would imagine that if you have this option turned off in the globals area they would not render even if you had them turned on for a specific object. Just the same way reflections will not render if you have the reflection global turned off.

^and yes, when you render lines LW will actually draw lines based on the settings you use for that object. Think of a nice clean outline on a cartoon render, as well as many other examples...

cagey5
09-11-2008, 10:40 AM
It depends on what you search for I think. If the result runs into hundreds of posts then you'll get a blank page. Try 'render' for instance and you'll get nothing, and in all honesty if you got all the results with render in it it'd be no more useful than nothing at all. If on the other hand your enter 'search function' then this thread comes out tops :)

So it pays to be discerning in your search criteria.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88746&highlight=search+function

DustinBrown
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Jeffry I did a test and you're right. There was a mental disconnect for me because it's called "Lines" in the render panel and "Edges" in the object properties.

Good call, cagey5. Still though...and maybe I'm nitpicking here...a message saying "Too many results, please refine your query" would be nice. The blank page makes it seem like a bug.

Thanks guys,
Dustin

Hopper
09-11-2008, 05:45 PM
I didn't see it readily visible in my video list (as far as file name goes), but wasn't there a brief tutorial video out of William Vaughan's collection that described and demonstrated this feature?

Edit: Found it - I think it was called "outlines.mov"

Sensei
09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Anyone know what Render Lines does?

Render Globals > Render Lines is for rendering 2 point poly chains in cameras other than Classic Camera, like Perspective Camera. Classic camera due it's nature (scanline render engine), can render 2 point poly chains without any problems. Otherwise it's very strong advised to disable it. LW v9 has default turned it on, so for every single scene you should manually disable it if you don't use this feature. It's very strongly slowing down rendering with it turned on, even if scene has no 2 point poly chains.

RedBull
09-12-2008, 01:48 AM
LW v9 has default turned it on, so for every single scene you should manually disable it if you don't use this feature. It's very strongly slowing down rendering with it turned on, even if scene has no 2 point poly chains.

Yes I requested it to change the opposite way, God knows who thought it was a good idea to default it to "enabled', as it's just a PITA to have to change it manually all the time, if only they added it as a toggle that was remembered in the configs. Groan!

MooseDog
09-12-2008, 04:20 AM
Yes I requested it to change the opposite way, God knows who thought it was a good idea to default it to "enabled', as it's just a PITA to have to change it manually all the time, if only they added it as a toggle that was remembered in the configs. Groan!

setup your default.lws with it not checked.:thumbsup: