PDA

View Full Version : The "Office"

meshpig
09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Ha, funny thing happening on cable at the moment. The sarcastic and horribly dry, UK TV show "the Office" is on at the same time as the wet, pathetic, driveling, stupid, tits and bums type witless crap version of "the Office" from the US of A.

- 4 episodes in a row and it's never been seen here 'til this very moment and I'm a watchin' it right now.

I can't watch the UK version anyway because the bathos is just so intense I want to go hide in the toilet and weep... about 12 minutes into the US version right now and I want to hide in the toilet and puke, vomit, die or whatever. It's SO bad.

I thought it would be and it is the worst type of contrived , puerile, irritating, pointless crap and about as as funny as a dead rat's ****.

Cool hey in all of a few minutes. I've already changed the channel to some other kind of crap.

m

JBT27
09-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I watched all the UK series and specials when they were broadcast here - I've seen about half of a US one, and to be blunt I have to agree.....I suspect the US production crew simply 'didn't get it'.

No idea how it was received in the US.....here it's gone down as one of those absolute classics of British comedy (and pathos), which is possibly why it doesn't entirely transfer to a remake. The US should have accepted the Brit series 'as is', or forget it, imo :)

Julian.

CC Rider
09-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Never saw the UK version but I have seen the US version. I really wanted to like it but I just don't get it. It bores me. Its a big, big hit here in the states for some reason, but it is beyond me. Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't laugh at it.

Iain
09-11-2008, 01:18 PM
The original is possibly the best sitcom ever written and performed. Why anyone would even attempt to remake it is beyond me.

I heard good things about the US version and I saw two episodes on a flight this year.
Although it was very well made, it just seemed to miss a vital aspect and that was the 'straightness' of the original. It's appeal was Gervais' (and Merchant's) perfect observation of people we all recognise.

In every episode of the original, you cringe at something you or someone you know has done.

iconoclasty
09-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I'll enter the lions den as a big fan of the US version. I've only caught a few scenes of the UK version and didn't care for it much. But I feel like I rarely understand British humor the way I'm supposed to.

richgrafx
09-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I found the UK version to be brilliant and the US version a respectable variation.

The first time I saw the UK version I cringed more than I laughed but upon multiple viewing I discovered all the nuisances. Also there is a nice story arc that goes over all the episodes so it is not a standard situational comedy.

I do not what types of shows you normally like but you may want to consider giving both the UK and the US version another try.

I would be interested in hearing what shows you do enjoy on a regular basis. I am always on a lookout for good entertainment.

Iain
09-11-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm just glad "McSpaced" never happened :thumbsup:

cagey5
09-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I would be interested in hearing what shows you do enjoy on a regular basis. I am always on a lookout for good entertainment.

From recent humour I like 'The Mighty Boosh' [Who would have guessed, huh] but there's not much good comedy around in the way of sitcoms these days.

RedBull
09-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Ha, funny thing happening on cable at the moment. The sarcastic and horribly dry, UK TV show "the Office" is on at the same time as the wet, pathetic, driveling, stupid, tits and bums type witless crap version of "the Office" from the US of A.

- 4 episodes in a row and it's never been seen here 'til this very moment and I'm a watchin' it right now.

I noticed UKTV was showing the UK version in the same slot as TV1 last night, It's no contest, anytime the US make a remake of a UK show, it actually shows how bad the USA is at making good TV.

The USA are good at making a lot of TV, they just haven't got the hang of making good TV... :) Other shows like "Who's line is it anyway" already show this to be true. The USA just aren't as funny as they think they are... :( Let's hope that they don't go and remake DR Who. As it's already too late for Top Gear.....Eeek!

The UK version of the office was inspired by "Frontline" which was an Aussie Satire written by "Working Dog productions" which are a fav of mine "D-Generation/Late Show, The Panel, The Castle, The Dish"

Matt
09-11-2008, 07:13 PM
You do know that Ricky Gervais was a consultant on the US version don't you? So he obviously tried, but failed!

Also, the success of The Office is that it taps into the common workplace stuff we've all experienced, but what makes it work is that it's stuff you're familiar with.

Now I'm sure there are common things in offices all over the world, but I reckon UK and US offices also differ, so funny stuff in a US office might not be the same as a UK office, hence why UK audiences don't find the US one as funny.

But I do agree that the acting in the UK one is much more subtle and understated, real fly on the wall stuff, whereas the US one appears more sitcom-like.

Hopper
09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
I had seen the UK versions ( i think there were 13 original episodes) all back to back at a friends house. When I heard "The Office" was going to be on tv for the first time, I thought I'd actually try television a try again. Man was I disappointed. I didn't realize it was a "US" version. It was ok, but it simply doesn't hold a candle to the UK version. The tv was then unplugged once again.

meshpig
09-13-2008, 04:03 AM
The first time I saw the UK version I cringed more than I laughed but upon multiple viewing I discovered all the nuisances. Also there is a nice story arc that goes over all the episodes so it is not a standard situational comedy.

You mean "nuance"? ... the cringing; therein lies the humor. The laughter follows because it hits the nerve, or the "funny bone".

It's "Bathos" in the sense that it's always anti-climactic. Nothing is ever pulled together, the protagonist is always lapsing into a ridiculous pose after having set out to turn everything around. He goes from "the sublime to the ridiculous" and that's what makes it funny.

I do not what types of shows you normally like but you may want to consider giving both the UK and the US version another try.

I think the UK version is brilliant and the US version is just what happens when you throw money at something and expect it to succeed. I guess I won't be able to avoid it in any case.

I don't expect much from the TV. I think cable is running into difficulties keeping up the promise of not being like free to air. Like why pay for crap but that's the way TV has always been.

Go for a walk, there's always something to laugh about.

m:)

iconoclasty
09-13-2008, 07:37 AM
When all is said and done the US "office" is very popular over here. You may not like it, especially compared to the original, but the creators (Gervais included) knew their audience and produced a profitable show.

meshpig
09-13-2008, 08:15 AM
... but the creators (Gervais included) knew their audience and produced a profitable show.

Zapping the target audience is what TVC's do. Nothing creative about that; "creators"?

m