PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr. J.Roth - about Hurricane Ike

Digital Hermit
09-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Dear Jay,

If a few Houstonian LW'ers head off to San Antonio, to escape Hurricane Ike... could put us up for few nights at Newtek HQ? In addition, could we have a party? :D

Thanx!

CC Rider
09-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Digital Hermit-
I crack up every time I look at your avatar...that's pretty cool! My cat would appreciate it to...

:D

IMI
09-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey I wish you guys in Texas the best of luck through the Ike menace. I've been through more than my share of the things, and I know it's no fun at all, to say the least.

Matt
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
A big NT sleepover! That would be cool actually!

Hopper
09-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I put the grill in the garage - now if I can just keep the fence from flying through my livingroom windows, I'll be happy. At least I can turn the sprinkler system off for a while and save a few pennies.

Digital Hermit
09-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Ike less than an hour away.... fighting wind... & rain... Lightwave still operational... hard to move polygons... (static) .... tingling feeling coming from wet mouse...

adamredwoods
09-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Ike's hypervoxels are looking good. But I see some aliasing on the edges.

Matt
09-13-2008, 06:42 AM
BBC News reports Ike this morning as "Catastrophic Storm Hits Texas", hope everyone is okay over there!

Digital Hermit
09-20-2008, 10:11 PM
My power was turned on yesterday and until a few minutes ago, my cable Internet started working.

This is the 1st hurricane I stayed for and that was not as bad as being without electricity for a week... that's what really sucked! (btw - the eye passed over us) We faired ok; a broken window and a little water damage from that... But with only cold canned food to eat and cold water from the bath tub for personal hygiene and no AC... well lets say I will not be staying for another hurricane!

God! How I missed my computerů :heart:

Good to be back.

shrox
09-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I was without power for almost a week during a winter storm in North Carloina. It got cold, we didn't smell good (not hot shower), but cooking with Sterno was fun, lots of ravioli and beans and bread. At least the drinks could just be set outside to chill.

When I lived in Corpus Christi in 2007, I just missed the hurricane season, but even the strong storms after made me wonder about buying a house along that coast.

MacDoggie
09-22-2008, 05:21 PM
The storm has passed, Houston did get whacked pretty soundly but we seemed to have bounced back. Our house came through pretty much unscathed with the loss of a neighbors fence. Lots of wind damage though there are quite a few trees uprooted and I have seen quite a bit of roof damage but for the most part we did fine. Our pool though really got fouled as we couldn't circulate and the was a ton of leaves and branches in the pool. We finally got it cleaned and heavily applied so scary chemicals but it is now pristine (still going to wait a bit before i jump in again though). We just got our power back three days ago but i had laid a solid supply of gas bottles as well as some open burners and water plus food and batteries plus wine and beer so we fared pretty well. Our freezer thawed so we had a "freezer" party and invited the whole neighborhood.

What was really surprising was that we got a cold front that came through right after the storm so it was actually quite pleasant and sleeping was great. I was certainly not expecting that. I was prepared to sweat for about five days but it just didn't happen. I reckon thw pool was the worst and I was rendering so I lost power about 7/8 through the render....

It definitely could have been worse but it seems that most fatalities were the result of people running gas generators inside the house or just outside the windows... lots of Darwin Awards handed out that week.... (7 out of 10 fatalities)

having been through storms like this before I do realize just how serious they can be and am thankful to the Gods that we fared as well as we did.

Quite the game eh???:D

blacksmith
09-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Mate sent this link to me.Thought it would be ok to share for the rest of people to see

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.html?ike

Terrible