PDA

View Full Version : Renderosity market place better than TurboSquid?

kopperdrake
09-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Just had an email through mentioning Renderosity's market place which you can see here:

http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13099

On the face of it it seems a better deal than TurboSquid's - anyone use it yet?

rakker16mm
09-11-2008, 02:54 AM
Do you mean for selling or buying?

pumeco
09-11-2008, 04:39 AM
I'd be interested in hearing stuff on this as well. I've often wondered how many products the most popular vendors are selling on Renderosity and on DAZ3D. No one ever seems to let slip how many copies they sell of any one product, would love to get some idea though.

I've often intended to create stuff for selling there but never bothered because I somehow don't think the return warrants the time invested. Some vendors obviously do well, but how well is well?

Anyone care to spill, boast, or whatever?

safetyman
09-11-2008, 05:27 AM
The really good and popular vendors on Rendo must do pretty well because there are literally hundreds if not thousands of items on there that are specifically for Poser, with more coming out every day. It's really not very expensive compared to TurboSquid so maybe thats the appeal. I just find it hard to believe that people can put that much time and effort into creating Poser content if it's not making them a profit.

kopperdrake
09-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Do you mean for selling or buying?

For selling :) In the course of projects we produce objects that just sit here, often thought about putting them up for grabs :)

geothefaust
09-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I'd like to know the same, as far as selling. I haven't heard much in the way of making money, save from one poser user a few years back. He used to buy all sorts of stuff on the Daz site.

akademus
09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Would like to hear some more too. I have heaps of models from previous projects for sale.

starbase1
09-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Well, I have to say I see a LOT of stuff on Turbo Squid with WILDLY optimistic pricing. (And the good stuff has prices clearly aimed at pros from what I see).I never bother looking these days...

Renderosity is more interesting, not least because the pricing is more reasonable. Average quality levels are dire, but there are some real gems that are wildly unconventional. I've bought stuff from there on dozens of occasions. If you are good it should be easy to stand out from the crowd.

Rather more interesting was the Vue 'Cornucopia' marketplace. As a seller it seemed very interesting to look at selling for a prog with no effective modeler! I never completed going through with the samples I wanted to try though, as I found it very frustrating dealing with their business setup people. (Made worse by contracts which were clearly aimed at US tax payers). Maybe I was unlucky in the person I dealt with though. (And it would be relevant if you are USA based).

Daz3d... As a buyer I see there stuff as of generally good quality technically, but generally unimaginative.

BetterThanLife
09-13-2008, 08:19 PM
If you are going that route, you will generally sell more at DAZ3D than at Renderosity. They also have a better reputation for quality.

Though if you are looking for quantity sales at either place you will have to rig for Poser. (Poser 5 or later or once the DAZ Studio rigging module is working and released that will work too.) I can't go into specifics but I do know a few merchants at DAZ3D where that is their only income, and a couple where it is substantial. (I do an occasional product at DAZ3D myself.):)

BTW most "Poser Content" sold at DAZ3D is created in either Max or Lightwave.

pumeco
09-14-2008, 04:16 AM
Daz3d... As a buyer I see there stuff as of generally good quality technically, but generally unimaginative.
I think their quite prudish T.O.S. has a lot to do with that. I brought it up once and Steve replied. From the impression I get though, it seems as if DAZ think that keeping things 'ultra clean' is better for them than relaxing the T.O.S. It's pretty obvious they'd be better off aiming at a market where the customers have credit cards, but instead, to them it's important children can visit the site without been confronted by Vickies unmentionables.

I understand the reason as far as reputation might go, but DAZ is a business, they should not be pandering to children that don't have buying power - better to let adults be adults and use their card when something hit's the right spot.

NewTek have it right (for once) in this sense because I think they realize that it's only adults that can buy, and keeping the forum 'child friendly' would be nice ... but pointless.

If you are going that route, you will generally sell more at DAZ3D than at Renderosity. They also have a better reputation for quality.

Though if you are looking for quantity sales at either place you will have to rig for Poser. (Poser 5 or later or once the DAZ Studio rigging module is working and released that will work too.) I can't go into specifics but I do know a few merchants at DAZ3D where that is their only income, and a couple where it is substantial. (I do an occasional product at DAZ3D myself.):)

BTW most "Poser Content" sold at DAZ3D is created in either Max or Lightwave.
Thank's for the info, that's quite interesting. I'm surprised that Poser can sell you more content than DAZ|Studio. With DAZ|Studio being free I actually thought the opposite would have been true. I also never new that rigging was coming to DAZ|Studio so thanks for the heads-up.

Anyway, I might release some stuff to generate much needed pocketmoney :)

Welcome to the forum, and it's good to hear LightWave is playing a large part in the content creation business, I've always said NewTek should push LightWave to the Poser users etc.

MattWisdom
09-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I would describe TurboSquid as a massive library of 3D models (http://www.turbosquid.com), with a focus on the Max/Lightwave/Maya/XSI/Cinema4d applications.

Daz and Renderosity are really focused on the DazStudio/Poser applications. They tend to do humans and characters extremely well.

So, depending on what you are looking for, each has its moments.

Matt
--
Matt Wisdom
CEO
TurboSquid

calilifestyle
09-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I never really liked Renderosity website. They made it nearly impossible to view art work. you would had to be a member or something . what ever the case im happy sites like deviant art are around.

lardbros
09-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, I have to say I see a LOT of stuff on Turbo Squid with WILDLY optimistic pricing. (And the good stuff has prices clearly aimed at pros from what I see)

I dunno about optimistic really. If i was going to charge for modelling some of the things i see on there for $100 i'd probably charge more than that in a real job. I saw a VC10 (Aeroplane) on there for $100 and there's tonnes of stuff much cheaper than that. The prices on there are usually too low in my eyes, the place kind of prices most people out of the competition. If i was given a tight deadline, and didn't have time to model some stuff, i'd definitely go and buy it from The Squid or a similar website. Have you checked out the prices on the Digimation site, they are MUCH higher, but then you pay for quality.

My work bought some Dosch DVD's for some of their cars and furniture etc, but we were bitterly disappointed, most of the models are tosh. Their texture CD's are equally as crap. Hope noone here is from Dosch or knows the guys because some of the textures are utter rubbish.

starbase1
09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I dunno about optimistic really. If i was going to charge for modelling some of the things i see on there for $100 i'd probably charge more than that in a real job. I saw a VC10 (Aeroplane) on there for $100 and there's tonnes of stuff much cheaper than that. The prices on there are usually too low in my eyes, the place kind of prices most people out of the competition. If i was given a tight deadline, and didn't have time to model some stuff, i'd definitely go and buy it from The Squid or a similar website. Have you checked out the prices on the Digimation site, they are MUCH higher, but then you pay for quality.

I think you have hit on the problem - I can't argue with the effort required to make a good model, but it's just not economic for amateurs - and I suspect that the odds of having exactly the model required for the pros are very low...

I think this is also part of the trick for the various poser selling sites - the market for human related stuff is large enough that it's viable at lower prices.

Nick