PDA

View Full Version : darn cars have way too much detail

hdace
09-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Hey Folks,

Got my first car commercial. Chrysler agreed to give me their data on one of their models which was originally in Maya but they put it in obj for me and I imported 3 separate sets, exterior, interior trim, & interior seats.

Huge amount of data. It's not too bad on the exterior. Had to create about 15 textures for that. Then started on interior. Whoa!!! The dashboard alone has a million polys.

Because I normally make models myself I'm really not used to using Reduce Polys (with or without the "+"). Any advice? So far I've managed to reduce down to half a million and I don't need much detail. Should I just remake basic geometry myself (there goes another day)?

Thanks, Hal

walfridson
09-11-2008, 02:18 AM
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm
I really like PLG's reduction plug. Maybe it can help you.

toby
09-11-2008, 02:19 AM
I've had to deal with that before, it's a pain. Trying to figure out where to reduce polys and where to remodel. Remodeling will almost always get you a lower poly count than reducing polys, and/or a much higher quality mesh, depending on your modeling skills and how much detail you need, but could take a lot longer too - you'll have judge that for yourself, but it does seem like a good idea to remodel in this case.

The next time anyone one wants you to render a photoreal car interior, you need to charge them a LOT of money and they need to give you extra time.

hdace
09-11-2008, 02:36 AM
I've had to deal with that before, it's a pain.

The next time anyone one wants you to render a photoreal car interior, you need to charge them a LOT of money and they need to give you extra time.

Whenever I do a new type of job I always undercharge for some reason and this is the one this time. However Reduce polys has stopped crashing Modeler (with a little practice) and it seems to be working better than I expected it to. Still, a miserable waste of work time, ram, and render time.

hdace
09-11-2008, 02:37 AM
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm
I really like PLG's reduction plug. Maybe it can help you.

I love PLG but I prefer working on the Mac UB so I try to make do without their stuff whenever possible. Thanks, though. Might try it sometime.