PDA

View Full Version : Particle Bullets

Richard Hebert
09-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm needing to animate bullets from a moving aircraft. The emitter needs to be parented to the canons moving and rotating with the craft. The projectiles need to be aligned with the emitter and then continue on that initial path after leaving the emitter no longer regarding the angle or rotation movement of the canon. Can this be done with particles or is their another technique employed by Lightwave?

walfridson
09-11-2008, 02:26 AM
Emitter should work fine, be sure to set parent motion to zero.

dmack
09-11-2008, 04:34 AM
If this is for a job, do some early tests on your technical procedure. I had a nightmare of a time with particles on a recent project (tracer fire from a moving aircraft). I seem to remember that the particles didn't blur properly, didn't glow properly etc. Just a heads up. Can't remember what I did in the end....

Richard Hebert
09-11-2008, 07:38 AM
It's for a film trailer so there's no hard deadline but yes, dmack, that's the same scenario. Thought it would be simpler with lightwave. Zoic's Battlestar Galactica made it look fairly simple to achieve. Sure would like to pick those guys brains for a day or two on the effects work.

Stooch
09-11-2008, 09:21 PM
particles dont blur properly but if you instance geometry for bullets using FX link then you will get proper motion blur.

toby
09-12-2008, 12:20 AM
From where are the bullets to be seen? Are you trying to mimic machinegun-mounted cameras and tracer-bullets? They're not really visible otherwise.

Richard Hebert
09-12-2008, 05:00 AM
Yes, these are tracer rounds. After a couple of tests, particles do appear to be doing the job; however, I can't seem to get them to fire in a regular interval. I'm trying to get them to fire one every 15 frames. Is it possible to get them to do that? Everything else appears to be working fine with them.:thumbsup:

Richard

Richard Hebert
09-12-2008, 05:45 AM
These are a couple of lo. res. test animations using particles.

serge
09-12-2008, 09:14 AM
... I can't seem to get them to fire in a regular interval...
Create a keyframe at the frames you want to emit particles, and set "Key Effect" of the emitter to "Key".

Richard Hebert
09-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow, that could potentially be a lot of keyframing but gives me what I want. Thanks goes out to all of you for the advice.

Richard :D

dwburman
09-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Weird, I thought I posted something here last night and I don't see it now.

Anyway, Worley has a plug-in in the Taft collection for doing tracers. Oddly enough it's called "tracer". It I remember correctly it was designed for Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles. You can set rate of fire, a target object and accuracy. It'll even set up an envelope to control a lens flare for muzzle flashes. It's an image or pixel filter. I don't know how it works with motion blur or if anyone still uses it. LW has added a lot of features since version version 5.6 which is what tracer was made for. :)

serge
09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Wow, that could potentially be a lot of keyframing ...
Just a quick tip in case you hadn't figured that out: say you want a particle to emit every 15 frames from frame 15 until 360. Create a keyframe at 15 and 30. In the DopeTrack you select and copy the 2 keyframes. Move the timeslider to 45 and "paste". Now you have 4 keyframes until frame 60. Copy the 4 keyframes and paste them at frame 75, and so on until you reach frame 360. (I don't know if there's an easier way.)

Richard Hebert
09-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the TAFT tip, will look into it if this project gets more involved. I've been looking at the Layout manual for copying curves (or repeating curves) but it's not really clear or I'm just not grasping the concept maybe (in After Effects copying and adjusting keyframes is a breeze). The Dope track may be what I'm looking for to do copy and paste jobs. Thanks, Serge.

UnCommonGrafx
09-12-2008, 03:34 PM
There's one more way: I believe it to be simpler.

Set up keyframes at 0 and 15. In the graph editor, with that objects' channels selected, at the lower right change it to "repeat". Out to infinity, a keyframe every 15 frames.
Or so I recall.

Richard Hebert
09-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the tip. I was wondering about that 'repeat' option just haven't had time to delve into it yet. :thumbsup:

serge
09-12-2008, 04:49 PM
There's one more way: I believe it to be simpler.

Set up keyframes at 0 and 15. In the graph editor, with that objects' channels selected, at the lower right change it to "repeat". Out to infinity, a keyframe every 15 frames.
Or so I recall.
UnCommonGrafx, the only "repeat" I see in the graph editor is for curves, which repeats curves, but doesn't create keyframes (which are necessary).