PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#5

Iain
09-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge#5
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Retro Electronics

A radio, TV, hairdryer, whatever. I'm sure there are some weird and wonderful possibilities in this one.

Time limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 17th September 2008

Have fun!

CMT
09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Cool! I really like this theme. Had some time before I left work for bowling night.

Ya'll prolly know what this is. It's the Simon game from 30+ years ago. I didn't have time to make a label for it or tweak the materials, but I'll do that later.

Modeling time about 40 minutes. Render setup about 15 as I just recycled mats from my last scene.

ctuller
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Ya'll prolly know what this is. It's the Simon game from 30+ years ago.

Nice work. A Ralph Baer classic piece of engineering. :)

Hopper
09-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Excellent choice!

I still have mine! I cringe when the kids want to play with it .. :)

JeffrySG
09-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Nice work on the Simon! I never had one but I fondly remember bashing away on my friends. :)

CMT
09-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Nice work on the Simon! I never had one but I fondly remember bashing away on my friends. :)

Hehe. Yeah, I never had one myself, but my sister did. I was helping her move a bunch of boxes out of her basement last week and we uncovered the old thing. When this theme popped up, I thought of that for some reason.

I updated the lighting, mats and made the label texture for this too.

All these quick challenges are immensely fun to do and watch! Has it really been a month? :)

Iain
09-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Good job CMT!

colkai
09-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Dang, talk about setting the bar! ;)
Nice work again CMT

JeffrySG
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I updated the lighting, mats and made the label texture for this too.

nice update! it would be great to see one of the lights illuminated as if the game was on!

CMT
09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys!

nice update! it would be great to see one of the lights illuminated as if the game was on!

Good idea!

JeffrySG
09-11-2008, 11:31 AM
^ha! love it!

RollerJesus
09-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey CMT, great choice and, as always, a great model!

Would you be opposed to sharing the it? I'd like to give a shot at making a jscript or TGB game with it.

CMT
09-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey CMT, great choice and, as always, a great model!

Would you be opposed to sharing the it? I'd like to give a shot at making a jscript or TGB game with it.

Sure. This scene was updated to 9.5 since I made the updates on my home machine.

TripD
09-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Wow... now that brings back some memories! I have a vague recollection of torturing one of those a long time ago! :devil:

Anyway, I made an attempt. Unfortunately, it took close to 2 hours....*SIGH*, but I got most of it done. Had some difficulties with cutting out the speaker area without messing up the surrounding mesh.

Hopper
09-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Anyway, I made an attempt. Unfortunately, it took close to 2 hours....*SIGH*, but I got most of it done.
Ahhh, but now you know exactly how to go about making it. Set your timer back to 0 and do it again! I'll bet you can do it in under 60 minutes this time! The more you use the tools, the more you'll remember the tricks.

CMT
09-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I left these textures out of the scene files by mistake....

Nice TV TripD!

Hopper
09-11-2008, 05:42 PM
I left these textures out of the scene files by mistake....

(Pardon my texturing ignorance - I'm still working on novice mode modeling.)

1 for texture, 1 for bump?

CMT
09-11-2008, 05:54 PM
One is for the color texture, the other is for the reflection alpha since there's less reflection in the black areas of the label.

RollerJesus
09-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks CMT

JeffrySG
09-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Here's a 1960's TV from PHILCO.

I spent the full hour on the TV set, but that didn't include modeling the text logo and the controls and the remote control. Those extras took another 20mins or so. So I'm a little over the time limit on this one but I didn't want to leave them out of the model.

I think the proportions were a little off around the screen area but I didn't want to spend even more time adjusting it.

...amazing how TV sets were really pieces of furniture for the living room back then!

Hopper
09-11-2008, 07:35 PM
One is for the color texture, the other is for the reflection alpha since there's less reflection in the black areas of the label.And once again, the obvious becomes painfully clear when you actually see it printed before you. Thanks CMT. I will definately scribble that little note in my "duh, don't forget about" section of my LW notes.

Hopper
09-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Here's a 1960's TV from PHILCO.
Ahhh .. one of my favorites. The console television. It became the foundation for many a "TV Stack" in most households. When the console tv blew a tube, the smaller tv was purchased and placed on top, then when that one broke, an even smaller (and most of the time black and white) portable television went on top of that.

There have been times when I've seen an actual quad stack setup... it is a grand sight to see.

TripD
09-11-2008, 09:31 PM
I think the proportions were a little off around the screen area but I didn't want to spend even more time adjusting it.

Those dimensions didn't happen to be 1:4:9 did they? :rolleyes:

The first time I saw one I said...... It's full of over paid stars!

Very nice work too!

JeffrySG
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Those dimensions didn't happen to be 1:4:9 did they? :rolleyes:

The first time I saw one I said...... It's full of over paid stars!

Very nice work too!

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave. ;)

:LOL:
Thanks! :)

R.Feeney
09-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Philco Console 1942 Radio/phonograph
Fortunately the Phonograph is inside the grill so I didn't have to build it :D
Time was very tight on this one.
Very haphazard texturing, mainly because I need to sleep :sleeping:
And the rendering too.

JeffrySG
09-12-2008, 06:22 AM
^The player came out great. I don't think I really remembereded the Philco name until I started to do some research. But they were great examples of that older style.

Surrealist.
09-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Ahhh .. one of my favorites. The console television. It became the foundation for many a "TV Stack" in most households. When the console tv blew a tube, the smaller tv was purchased and placed on top, then when that one broke, an even smaller (and most of the time black and white) portable television went on top of that.

There have been times when I've seen an actual quad stack setup... it is a grand sight to see.

LOL! :D

JeffrySG
09-12-2008, 07:36 AM
too funny.... :lol:

archijam
09-12-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm surprised we haven't seen any steampunkers around yet .. ;)

IgnusFast
09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Retro for some, but I still remember when this came out, and how innovative it was! OMG, an electronic handheld game! That's CRAZY!

Modeling time, around 50 minutes. I ran out of time for adding more detail - there's a football logo that takes up the lower right corner, and I just didn't have the budget for it. I'll probably complete it later. I also had to leave the bottom totally naked.

Texture/render time, around 2 hours. I painted the maps in Paint .Net, which is amazing for a free program. They're not UV's or anything - that's just entirely too fancy. I just guessed at the size ratio and went to town. There's WAY too much space in the middle of the football field, since I was doing a little *too* much guessing. :)

Crap, sorry about the giant concrete image in the archive - I should have used something much smaller.

JeffrySG
09-12-2008, 12:06 PM
^that's cool! You know I almost did that too. I had the version that came out a little after that one, it was all green and had the ability to pass too. I actually still have it and play it every once in a while... when I can find a 9volt battery laying around.

...and forgot my wires too...

IgnusFast
09-12-2008, 12:12 PM
This one is a real circa-1977 handheld that my wife (!) has had since Jr. High.... I thought about yellowing the plastic and stuff, but I want to get the additional post-challenge detail added.

But that would have been funny if two of us did the same basic object, but different ages; it would be neat to see the different approaches we took to building it.

Nangleator
09-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Yes, I think there's some value in a modeling contest where we're all trying to build the exact same thing. The comparison of meshes could be interesting.

geothefaust
09-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Ignusfast, I actually had one of those and was considering modeling it as well, LOL.

Looks just like I remember. Great job! :)

JeffrySG
09-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Actually, I checked and mine was a Mattel Fooball not Coleco. I think mine was a 79 or 80 build, but I have a Baseball game that is a 78 I believe.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/192/507472436_6e576e47f8.jpg?v=0

I found this pic with the football and baseball that I have (on the right)...

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/176/mattelfootballfootball2eq9.th.jpg (http://img393.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mattelfootballfootball2eq9.jpg)

geothefaust
09-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Man seeing those almost brings a tear to my eye. :o

Thanks for the link.

IgnusFast
09-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Instead of jacking up this thread with my continued experimentation, I created a thread in WIP. Feel free to post there if you guys continue to work on modeling that doesn't count toward the challenge...

Once I'm done, I'll probably post the 'final' object there or in the Finished discussion area.

Hopper
09-12-2008, 06:29 PM
I guess the Simon set it off... I found a nice front view of the very same football game you just modeled out from under me.. :grumpy: That's what I get for not practicing and getting it done faster!

I guess it's back to the boring Atari 2600 or the vacuum tubes... yuk .. :D

IgnusFast
09-12-2008, 06:34 PM
LOL Hey, I already apologized in the other thread!!!! :)

I had been thinking about doing one of those awesome Starbird spaceships, but, uh.... Too hard! That or a C=64 or Apple ][....

Nangleator
09-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Heh. Vacuum tubes. I was thinking of them. I remember that cool transition between clear and silver painted glass.

I was also thinking of those drug store machines where you'd bring your box of tubes to test to see which ones were still good.

zardoz
09-12-2008, 08:37 PM
here goes my try at this. Well it had to be the zx48k...when I bought 25 years ago or so it was one of the best days of my life. So this is like a tribute.

Modeling and Uvs time: little less than one hour
Texturing and rendering: around two hours

I would like to do some tweaks to make it more close to the real thing, but I wanted to keep the 1 hour limit.

I hope you guys like it.

Later I'll try to model a kempston joystick, a tape recorder/player and maybe a tv.

IgnusFast
09-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Gorgeous! Really, really nice!!

Iain
09-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Lovely model and renders Zardoz.

That makes me feel very sentimental.

I was going to do a spectrum or an atari but I'm struggling to find even an hour just now!

JeffrySG
09-13-2008, 09:17 AM
That looks really nice, Zardoz!

dwburman
09-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, buying a new computer just isn't as exciting as it used to be. I'm sure getting an 8-core machine is a buzz but it's still only incrementally better than what we have, not a door to new worlds.

zardoz
09-13-2008, 04:48 PM
tx on the comments everyone. actually it has some parts that I wanted to tweak a little more but for the sake of the challenge I won't.

I leave here a few more renders.

cresshead
09-14-2008, 06:25 AM
here goes my try at this. Well it had to be the zx48k...when I bought 25 years ago or so it was one of the best days of my life. So this is like a tribute.

Modeling and Uvs time: little less than one hour
Texturing and rendering: around two hours

I would like to do some tweaks to make it more close to the real thing, but I wanted to keep the 1 hour limit.

I hope you guys like it.

Later I'll try to model a kempston joystick, a tape recorder/player and maybe a tv.

love it love it love it!:thumbsup:

Iain
09-15-2008, 08:16 AM
I had one of these :)

40 minutes to model. About the same to texture and render.

zardoz
09-15-2008, 10:33 AM
bontempi!! lol great memories Iain. Good model man.

The quality of the stuff that is showing in these speed challenges is awesome!

JPowell
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
The retro electronic games entries made me nostalgic for one of my childhood faves.

Only submitted for fun, I spent more time than seems reasonable on my craptastic little...

Parker Brothers Merlin!

Played nine different games and drove my parents absolutely batty with all the bleeping and booping.

JeffrySG
09-15-2008, 02:39 PM
^omg! I used to love that game!!! I always thought it looked so cool when I had it. And you know, I'm not really sure where it went....

virtualcomposer
09-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Sometimes I miss the old technology. It required, unless you're a 3D animator :D more brain power and imagination. I also miss the old computers (mainly for memories sake) because they were simple. I think there's more emotion memory involved with that then the technology themselves but I'm sure other people can relate. Hopefully someone can make a speak and spell. Speak and Math to. :thumbsup:

BlueApple
09-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Great entries so far, everyone.

Here is a calculator I found on Wikipedia. Modeled in 40 minutes. The model and scene is attached for all to play with.

hrgiger
09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Ok, this was just for fun more then anything else. This is vintage electronics at it's best. The WOPR, War Operation Plan response. From the movie War Games of course. You didn't say it had to be real vintange electronics.
30 minutes modeling . And since I don't currently have Lightwave installed on my machine, I used XSI to model it. I don't know a ton about XSI's texturing and using Mental Ray yet so I won't even try a render at this point. I just liked the idea so much.

JeffrySG
09-15-2008, 09:58 PM
^that's a great idea! One of my favorite movies of the time. I like that you're still participating even if you're using xsi. I hope you stick with the challenges here and keep on using xsi.

Hopper
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Ok, this was just for fun more then anything else. This is vintage electronics at it's best. The WOPR, War Operation Plan response.
Ok .. You have to give up the wires so I can make a WOPR with cheese. :D

hrgiger
09-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Ok .. You have to give up the wires so I can make a WOPR with cheese. :D

Trust me, a movie in the 80's about a machine that is controlling our defense system has all the cheese you would ever want.

Iain
09-16-2008, 12:02 PM
This is what I think of by retro electronics.

Modelling time 20 minutes or less.
Rendered in Maxwell with LW's Virtual Darkroom applied to age it a little.

TripD
09-16-2008, 01:31 PM
That's very nice Iain, and quick to boot! Did you use CC's for that?

Call me Mr. Jealous.

hrgiger
09-16-2008, 01:55 PM
It doesn't look like he used subdivision surfaces at all. I think it's just a polygonal model.

Iain
09-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Yes it was just simple polygon modelling.

Boolean subtractions ruled subpatching out without a lot of piddling about.

I love modelling in LW. I never really get the chance to mess around anymore-that's why this kind of thing is so appealing to me.

hrgiger
09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Yes it was just simple polygon modelling.

Boolean subtractions ruled subpatching out without a lot of piddling about.

I love modelling in LW. I never really get the chance to mess around anymore-that's why this kind of thing is so appealing to me.

These challenges are good, they'll make you work even when you're completely unmotivated to come up with something yourself. Lately, I've been spending all my time trying to learn how to use XSI effectively so it was good to mess around with these last few challenges just to produce something, even if its' not your opus magnum.

RollerJesus
09-16-2008, 05:16 PM
A Lazer Tag sensor...

I ran short on time on this one, there are quite a few areas I would have liked to finish up, but still a fun one.

Some great entries so far and for those that shared, I appreciate it very much. I learned a lot from them.

art
09-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Nice work everyone. :bowdown:
My nixie clock turned out to be more than I could handle in terms of lighting and rendering. Plus, I could not get the glow to work with transparency and reflections so I cheated a bit in photoshop (modeling is all LW).
Its getting very late and this is what I have. I'll post wires tomorrow for those who are interested.
At first I wanted to model a Theremin but nixie clocks look much cooler, even though I haven't done mine properly.

BlueApple
09-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Here is another swing at this challenge. Modeling time 45 minutes.

RollerJesus- I love the Lazer Tag piece. Unfortunately it inspired me to look up its rival Saturday morning show on YouTube. For anyone that thought Power Rangers had a low effects budget, feel free to look up Photon.

akademus
09-17-2008, 03:23 AM
Hi everyone,
I finally found some time to participate. It took some 55 minutes to do the model.

I also attached lwo and and real time screen capture (http://www.vojislavmilanovic.com/magnetoscope/magnetoscope.avi) of making of the model.

I hope you'll like it.

Cheers

colkai
09-17-2008, 03:32 AM
Well,
I managed to get some work done last night, yet to texture this and get into a scene, but at least I modelled it on time :p

Ye Olde DynaTec - Brick mobile :)
Hoping to texture it and such tonight before the deadline.

Edit: Oops - modelling time, roughly 45 mins-ish - did do a 'run through' of the basic shape first then started from scratch.
How big? well, 300x44x89mm - not exactly easy to fit in ya pocket! :D

Iain
09-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Some great models coming in!

I was worried there that I'd have to scratch "hand held electronic games" off the list of future challenges :)

Iain
09-17-2008, 03:40 AM
How big? well, 300x44x89mm - not exactly easy to fit in ya pocket! :D

And do you remember how much of a pillock people looked walking around shouting into them.

Now we all do it!

Look forward to seeing it surfaced in all it's plastic glory.

*Pete*
09-17-2008, 03:48 AM
wrong thread...

art
09-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Wires of my nixie clock.

RollerJesus
09-17-2008, 06:56 AM
@akademus

A reel to reel was my top choice for this one but I couldn't pull it off in an hour. Yiu did a wonderful job though, a real beauty!

Regarding the old brick cell phone, you guys seen these?
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/retro-brick-cellphone-modern-gsm-guts-inside-237967.php

RollerJesus- I love the Lazer Tag piece.

Thanks a lot!

cresshead
09-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi everyone,
I finally found some time to participate. It took some 55 minutes to do the model.

I also attached lwo and and real time screen capture (http://www.vojislavmilanovic.com/magnetoscope/magnetoscope.avi) of making of the model.

I hope you'll like it.

Cheers

can you check the avi...looks off line to me here.

colkai
09-17-2008, 08:17 AM
And do you remember how much of a pillock people looked walking around shouting into them.
Not to mention the huge "holster" you needed to carry it. :p

Regarding the old brick cell phone, you guys seen these?
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/retro-brick-cellphone-modern-gsm-guts-inside-237967.php

One has to ask, why oh why would you? :D

RollerJesus
09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
One has to ask, why oh why would you?

Nostalgia, I guess.

blacksmith
09-17-2008, 11:12 AM
can you check the avi...looks off line to me here.

Works good for me if you rightclick/save as...

cagey5
09-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Well I ran out of time on this, but thought I may as well post what I had so far. Can you see what it is yet...?

Nangleator
09-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Please tell me that's a doorbell and not someone's idea of a musical instrument!

cagey5
09-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Don't knock the mighty Stylophone as featured on David Bowie's 'Life on Mars'!

It was to keyboards as the Sinclair ZX80 was to computing... A very humble start.

Iain
09-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Please tell me that's a doorbell and not someone's idea of a musical instrument!

Have you never heard of Rolf Harris in America?

Nangleator
09-17-2008, 12:35 PM
So, it was the DX-7 of its time? I withdraw my distaste.

I've got one of these (http://rolandclan.info/media/images/xp-60.jpg) at home, so I have a soft spot for serious keyboards.

parm
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Am I too late?

Loads left to do on this. I can't believe how much you guys can do in an hour.

I decided to go back a bit further in time. A circca 1915 electric table fan, ( no power cord, ran out of time). Needless to say the full 60 minutes.

Iain
09-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Am I too late?

Loads left to do on this. I can't believe how much you guys can do in an hour.

I decided to go back a bit further in time. A circca 1915 electric table fan, ( no power cord, ran out of time). Needless to say the full 60 minutes.

You've got a full 45 minutes left!

You picked a deceptively difficult model :D
Nice.

parm
09-17-2008, 02:16 PM
You picked a deceptively difficult model :D
Nice.

Thanks. But isn't that always the way!

hrgiger
09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Am I too late?

Yes, you are too late Parm. You are disqualified and will not be eligible for any of the prizes this week and that includes the empty Lightwave 6 box that many of us were trying for. Furthermore I am reducing your post count to 1116. I hope you've learned a valuable lesson.

JeffrySG
09-17-2008, 02:29 PM
So, it was the DX-7 of its time? I withdraw my distaste.

I've got one of these (http://rolandclan.info/media/images/xp-60.jpg) at home, so I have a soft spot for serious keyboards.

Yes, but do you have one of THESE (http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/dx27.shtml) at home?? lol That was my excuse for a keyboard of the day... :)

@cagey and parm: those both look very nice! :D

JeffrySG
09-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Yes, you are too late Parm. You are disqualified and will not be eligible for any of the prizes this week and that includes the empty Lightwave 6 box that many of us were trying for. Furthermore I am reducing your post count to 1116. I hope you've learned a valuable lesson.

Wow! that was harsh, man! harsh I say! :neener:

Nangleator
09-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Nice fan, parm. Cool cage around the fan.

Didn't Clousseau have an encounter with one of those? (I've still got that painful 'ding' sound in my head.)

hrgiger
09-17-2008, 02:39 PM
By the way Parm, nice fan. How did you put together the cage? You should do a render with the fans animated and some nice Photo realistic motion blur.

Iain
09-17-2008, 02:40 PM
You are disqualified and will not be eligible for any of the prizes this week and that includes the empty Lightwave 6 box that many of us were trying for. .

That's a good point. I'm out of empty LW boxes now so this week you're competing for a Corn Flakes box with XSI written on the side in felt tip.
I might even throw in a "Houdini" Cat Treats carton for a runner up. Where's that red pen gone?

Hope that's ok with everyone :goodluck:

Nangleator
09-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Free copy of Truespace? Blender anyone?

hrgiger
09-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Ok, I'm buying prizes next contest. 1st prize: Blender 2nd prize: Truespace 3rd prize: 30 day trial of Lightwave 3D.

Iain
09-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Am I too late?

Took more than 60 minutes anyway so I really don't know why I textured the thing.

Must set up a new scene for these things.

Miniature TV. A terribly frustrating 90 minutes to model.

parm
09-17-2008, 03:26 PM
By the way Parm, nice fan. How did you put together the cage? You should do a render with the fans animated and some nice Photo realistic motion blur.

LWCAD profiler and radial array. Made it very quick and easy.

Must set up a new scene for these things.

Sounds like a good idea for a future challenge.

Nice texturing on the TV.

hrgiger
09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
LWCAD profiler and radial array. Made it very quick and easy.

Cool. I was going to suggest that LWCAD would make that a snap (no pun intended).

Iain
09-17-2008, 03:39 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=751951#post751951

Week 6 is on!

Doubtful as to what I'll achieve in this but I like a challenge :hey:

Nangleator
09-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Nice TV, Iain! Channel knob feels very authentic.

colkai
09-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Due to 'life' I never got the chance to texture my phone yesterday.
So here it, belatedly, is.

Dunno what the black line is on pic2 as it only showed up in FPrime at certain angles. - Pretty sure the geometry is solid there.

colkai
09-18-2008, 02:40 PM
DOH!
Scratch that, at some point, I've welded some geometry together and not noticed it - twit!

JeffrySG
09-18-2008, 09:39 PM
That TV and the Phone came out great guys! A nice finish to this challenge!! :D

blacksmith
09-20-2008, 01:19 AM
So, is there a winner to this challenge? I haven't noticed any announcements!?

Iain
09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm sure people think I just say this but I had to save the images from 8 entries to compare on this one.

After careful consideration, I'd have to give it to Colkai for his 'brick' mobile phone.
A very detailed and accurate looking model.

Well done to all entrants. Some great models this week. The organic subjects don't seem to draw the same crowds :D

colkai
09-23-2008, 02:50 AM
Thank you!
I've never won anything ever - Should I do one of those gushing "Oscar" speeches and blub over my keyboard? ;) :p

Ahem, seriously though, indeed, thank you, meant with sincerity, it's something to have folks whose work I hold in respect and admiration to acknowledge your work.
I am enjoying contributing to these challenges and given the quality of the entries, I truly am stunned to be voted the winner.

Thanks again and I shall now wrap my head around what I'd like to suggest for the next project.
Off the top of my head, I can thing of "On the farm", be it machinery, animal or building / environment.

Of course, one close to my heart, 'Falconry' - again, equipment, enclosure or, (and I'd be stunned if anyone could do it within an hour), a falcon / hawk.

I'll have more thought on it over lunch and see if I can come up with some ideas, if folks let me know which they lean to as well. :)

I am currently sitting at my work desk and smiling (that, I assure you, is unusual!) :D

cagey5
09-23-2008, 03:03 AM
:thumbsup: Well done Colkai. A deserved win.

hrgiger
09-23-2008, 04:56 AM
Personally Colkai I didn't like your phone. It's so old school.

Seriously, congrats you winner virgin.

colkai
09-23-2008, 05:00 AM
I know, a virgin, ...at my age! ;) :p

JeffrySG
09-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Great job colkai! :D

BlueApple
09-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Congratulations, Colkai. It's a lovely model.

CMT
09-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Congrats, Colkai! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
09-23-2008, 12:08 PM
LOL! These retro things are so funny and great!

Iain
09-25-2008, 02:05 AM
So, Colkai, what's the subject?

(I'm a bit late already, I know!)

colkai
09-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Heh, sorry, I'd PM'd you, but I've decided on "On The Farm"

That can be anything, an animal, a building, a piece of equipment, a vehicle, even a paddock (hey, let's see those FFX renders of fields of grass / corn ;) ).

I'd been leaning towards this as I pass a few farms on the outskirts of town as I travel to work. Stuck in traffic next to a tractor with a 'hopper' trailer today, I thought, yup, that's do-able in an hour.

Thought we'd "move up a notch" given the high quality of the work in these challenges, be good to see how it comes together. :) What'd be really cool is if we ended up with enough to put together a "challenge scene" in the end combining the work, maybe Newtek could then use that as promo if everyone was in accord? Showing just what this community can do, even when it's purely for fun!

Iain
09-25-2008, 03:09 AM
Heh, sorry, I'd PM'd you, but I've decided on "On The Farm"

So you did. Sorry-I'm up to my eyes at the moment.

I'll set it up :)

RollerJesus
12-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey all... I finished the first version of the Simon game using CMT's model from this contest and thought it would be fun to share. Sorry, it's PC only for the time being but I'm thinking about porting it over to the iPhone and maybe doing a Lightwave Simon :lwicon: with the LW logo in the middle...

Thanks for the model CMT! It was a blast throwing this together in my spare time and I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out so far. Although, I definitely need to improve upon the renders and the menus.

http://www.bedpanmedia.com/Simon/SimonAlpha.zip

`Patrick

RollerJesus
12-26-2008, 09:19 AM
I realized that I had debug mode on when I released that last version... duh...

I updated the zip so it shows the splash screens and stuff.