PDA

View Full Version : Plugin for Quake Format?

A.Russell
07-31-2003, 11:59 PM
The 3d game engine I'm using supports quake's .map format for level geometry. I've been looking to see if there is a plugin available for lightwave to export to .map, but so far haven't been able to find one.

Does anyone know if such a plugin exists?

iluvatar
08-01-2003, 01:36 AM
someone has written a plugin for it, yes! download from here:

http://www.petrich.com/games/quake/LW2Quake.sit

NOTE: I haven't tested it, just found it for ya on the internet!

A.Russell
08-01-2003, 01:59 AM
Thanks... but, um, now how do I use it? It is a .sit file, whereas all the files in the plugn folders are .p files. The site doesn't have any documentation for the file or anyone to contact.

iluvatar
08-01-2003, 02:18 AM
uhm, that's a good question, I noticed it too... :p but I found out: SIT means "Stuffit archive of Mac files" so this is a MAC archive... download Stuffit for windows (I'm downloading a demo version right now) and unpack it :D

A.Russell
08-01-2003, 02:20 AM
Looking forward to your solution. I'll keep hunting in the meantime.

iluvatar
08-01-2003, 02:40 AM
I rezipped the file ;) it seems this is not a plugin but a stand-alone program... I hope you can use this. I'm at work right now so don't have much time to test things, please let me know if this works!

A.Russell
08-01-2003, 03:38 AM
I can open the readme in Notepad, that's about it. There is a folder of source code, so perhaps it is possible to convert it for a PC, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

iluvatar
08-01-2003, 03:42 AM
yeah, I was just looking at the same :p I'm very curious whether this can be crossplatform compiled... no time to check that now, but maybe there's some other program for windows :p

iluvatar
08-01-2003, 03:50 AM
i LOVE the internet :D here's a downloadable program (shareware licence) for windows platform, converting from and to MANY different formats, including lightwave, quake, quake 2 and quake 3 / arena ;)

HAVE FUN!

-= edit =-
lets put the link somewhere :p

http://www.quick3d.org/download_pro.html
-= edit =-

iluvatar
08-01-2003, 03:55 AM
· quick3D® (.q3o and .q3s)
· 3DS MAX® (.3ds and .prj)
· Truespace® (.cob and .scn)
· RenderWare® (.rwx)
· DXFTM
· Alias|WavefrontTM (.obj)
· Cinema 4D® (.c4d)
· DirectX® (.x)
· OpenFlight® (.flt)
· Lightwave® (.lwo and .lws)
· QuakeTM (.mdl .md2 and .md3)
· Softimage|XSI® (.xsi)
· Renderman® (.rib)
· 3D GameStudioTM (.mdl)
· AC3D (.ac)
· OFF (.off)
· Stereolithography STL (.stl)
· Polygon PLY (.ply)
· Visualization ToolKit (.vtk)
· Movie BYU (.byu)
· Stereo-CAD 3D (.3d2)
· WorldToolKit (.nff)
· Microstation DGN® (.dgn)
· Moray UDO/INC (.udo)
· Power Render Pro (.pro)

p.s. is that a quake map format or quake object format?

meshmaster
08-01-2003, 07:39 AM
would be to export 3ds, import to gmax, export from there to .map via tempest plugin.

A.Russell
08-01-2003, 10:55 PM
It's very hard to find a program that exports .map, isn't it? I'll have a look into the gmax solution for a start. Thanks for all the info.

-I'm still waiting on my registration code for gmax. I'll try that next if this doesn't work out.

A.Russell
08-02-2003, 08:58 AM
I found a program that converts 3ds to map. I made a simple cube of three sided polies and exported it to 3ds. However, after putting the resulting 3ds file through the converter it wouldn't load in the engine. SOmeone told me it has to do with the way Lightwave makes 3ds files. Is there a way for Lightwave to export valid 3ds files?

A.Russell
08-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Gmax didn't work either. There is definitely something wrong with the way Lightwave exports 3ds, because the 3ds files I made in Lightwave don't open in Gmax. I tried another program called ultimate Unwrap to convert the .lwo files to 3ds then they would load in Gmax. However they still wouldn't export correctly from Gmax. I'm now hunting down a program called Genesis 3d. I'm told it exports 3ds files perfectly.

t4d
09-08-2003, 05:42 AM
i've been trying to get levels from LWs to 3D game studio for awhile now ...................................

i ended up modeling the level in LW all the walls in one layer and all the doors and fill objects in other layers delete the wall layer
export all the objects bring in to Wed and redo the walls

very painful specially when your working with the engine's grid :(

A.Russell
09-08-2003, 07:38 AM
I found a programmer, and a pluggin for Lightwave is being made. In fact, it is almost ready for release. Have a look in the Community forum, or go to the Conitec forum and look in User Requests for more info. There will also be a plugin for exporting the new mdl7 format.

t4d
11-05-2003, 02:04 AM
has anyone tried a working verion of this plugin ??
i interested and contacted the programer a number of times for simple object But no reply ???

A.Russell
11-05-2003, 08:06 AM
Yes, the plugin has been released. I've sent mail to David for you. I'm surprised it usually doesn't take that long for him to reply. In the meantime I'll send you some info by e-mail.

David's gone off to work for Caligari's Game Space thing, so he hasn't done much more for the plugin for Lightwave, and still have tohear word about the promised MD7 plugin. So I guess Caligari will get the first plugins now.