PDA

View Full Version : Video Source Monitoring

C Heupel
09-10-2008, 01:00 PM
We have the Studio model, with 6 inputs... TriCaster allows us to operate with ISO monitors in 3 camera mode, but locks us into 2 DDR's, 1 External, 1 waveform in the 6 camera mode.

It would be GREAT if we could select what we wanted in those monitors in the upper left corner. (Right click, pick source from drop down box).

Or, allow for the 4th input to the TriCaster to be selected instead of the "EXT" I-VGA input. This would allow the 4th input to be monitored in the 3 camera configuration.

Thanks,

SBowie
09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
The actual number of inputs that can be digitized by the hardware at a given time precludes a 4th, regardless of UI manipulations - sorry.

ted
09-10-2008, 11:38 PM
While I agree it would be nice, Steve's correct. I've been told it just isn't possible.

We just found some awesome rackmount component 3X's monitors made by Vaddio. http://vaddio.com/audio_visual/tech_specs/preview_hd_triple57_ts.pdf
They are HD ready and have component loopthrough. I figure we can monitor three cameras, plus one in preview. If you need more you can get two sets.
If you aren't using component you can get by cheaper.

And yes, the TriCaster is one awesome unit! :thumbsup:

SBowie
09-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Since we're on the topic, I'd like to just mention too that the number of internal sources (DDR/VCR or Picture) modules for a given TC module is also carefully considered, taking into account the particular hardware of that model and applying a healthy regard for stability and live program integrity.

C Heupel
09-11-2008, 06:35 AM
I must be missing something... In the 3 camera mode, you have 3 cameras plus the external source displayed...
Is it because the external source is already digitized, all you have to do is re-size to display it?

SBowie
09-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Think of it this way: there are three internal hardware analog>digital converters in the system - just three. In 6 camera mode, the analog sources are juggled onto one of them as required for switching - but digitizing all six signals in realtime (as would be necessary to put six incoming sources) onto six ISO monitors is impossible in this hardware design.

C Heupel
09-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Steve:

Thanks, I got it now... the REAL solution would be to add another board to the TriCaster guts to allow for all 6 inputs to be digitized, then we could have ISO monitoring.

SBowie
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Yes, you're talking about another generation of system now. In the meantime, note that there are many discussions here on external solutions for the purpose of complete ISO monitoring.

Dub2Dat
09-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Steve, I understand about what you are saying about hardware limitations, but what I don't understand is why can't those preview monitors be manipulated (drop down box) in a fashion like CH has indicated.

Clearly TCS CAN display 3 camera previews in 3 camera mode, but when we switch to 6 camera mode we get 0 camera previews? Come on now...makes no sense.

In 6 camera mode why can't we at lease be able to preview three of the inputs (just like you can in 3 camera mode) and like CH says let the user determine which 3 of the 6 inputs to preview with something like a drop down box?

Having 3 dedicated preview monitors in 6 camera mode is a heck of a lot better than having 0 preview monitors. I really don't need two dedicated preview monitors for the DDR's. I need to see what my camera operators are doing and I need to see as many of them as possible.

kltv
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
The difference is that in three camera mode all three camera inputs are always being digitized and available for the system to preview at all times. Once you bounce into 6 camera mode the system needs to dynamically route the incoming video to each digitizer.

If you had a drop-down selection on three preview monitors and then tried to select in preview or program a camera that was not one of the three you had in the three previews, the system would not have an available digitizer to capture that fourth stream. In that situation it would have to drop one of your previews to capture the additional camera, rendering your previews useless during that time.

The DDRs are easy to preview for the system, since they are internally generated and don't require using any of the digitizers. Like Steve said, it is really just a limitation of the hardware. It isn't designed to take in 6 sources at once.

A thought I'd had at one point would be that if they could use one of the three digitizers to cycle through each camera input and grab a frame to display in the interface. Sort of MX-1 style for those of you who remember that old Videonics switcher, or like a security system that constantly cycles through inputs. That would get you a still of each camera, say updated once every second or two, as fast as the system could cycle through and grab. You'd probably have to sacrifice the effects bus to make that happen, but for some folks it might be worth it. I don't know how difficult that would be to do, or if it would even be possible for the guys at NewTek. Just a thought.

Kris

Dub2Dat
09-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Ok Kris,

So there are no previews of input sources before they hit the digitizer? Oh well, just have to work around this with extra monitors. The TCS is still an awesome box with the most bang for the buck!!

kltv
09-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Exactly, you've got it now. It is definitely a cool little box, but everything has its limitations.

Kris

SBowie
09-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Clearly TCS CAN display 3 camera previews in 3 camera mode, but when we switch to 6 camera mode we get 0 camera previews?No, you get one -whichever one you put on the Preview row, which is presumably the one you intend to switch to next.

And you can of course cycle through the cams you have connected (fairly quickly, too, using hotkeys or LC-11) when you don't have a Take coming impending.

No, this isn't as nice as ISO monitors would be, but it's not a bad compromise using existing hdwe.

Edmur
10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Hello everybody!

I have a TCS and IŽd like to change to three camera mode. How can I do this?

Thanks

Edmur Neves

SBowie
10-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Please see my reply to the same question in the other forum where you posted it, Edmur. :)