PDA

View Full Version : UV Maps in XFrog

automan25
09-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm playing around with the demo version of Xfrog along with the Lightwave integration plugin. It seems to work pretty well. I would like to use a clip map on all of the leaves on the one tree that is in my scene. The problem is when I apply the clip map using the UV texture created by Xfrog it also applies the map to the trunk as well since they share the same UV map. I could use the transparency surface channel to limit it to the leaves, but then I take a huge render hit.

I know there isn't a way to apply clip maps via a surface channel, but is there a way to set custom UV maps in Xfrog?

KillMe
09-10-2008, 03:56 PM
does xfrog output a solid mesh as you could split it into layers then only apply the clip map to the layer with the leaves in it

automan25
09-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Actually the Xfrog plug-in works by creating the tree model in real-time specifically for the frame that you're on. You create the tree and the animation in Xfrog and then use the plug-in to parse the Xfrog file and create the same tree with it's associated animation in Lightwave. Every time you advance a frame in Lightwave, the Xfrog plug-in updates the tree's geometry. It works quite well, but the bottom line is you cannot modify the tree's geometry outside of Xfrog.